Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

With a promise to Kelly that I'd keep the car together until the new Casa del Fuega Molnariano is complete, I've been doing some digging for my favorite thing: markings! And despite the Crusty Cuda being....well.....crusty...I found a bunch! Knowing where to look is half the battle and having done so many Mopars before, I sniffed them out like a fart on an airplane!

Rear axle has the date code under the large side support rib, and under the carrier is the paint slashes that indicate the ratio. My car, from all indications, says 3.23 Open. That's backed up with 3 black stripes under the keel of the axle 3rd member. Had this of been a Sure Grip, there would have been an orange stripe there as well. Driver's side axle tube has a three digit axle code that would match the Broadcast sheet code. Only the "0" is visible in mine, which for a 3.23 open would be "073". There will also be a date/ inspector stamp on this tube too. Mine is all but gone. The 3rd member assembly date looks like "21D" but I'm not positive on that yet. April 21st would correspond to my SPD of 4-30. Still researching that. There are other missing markings on the axle which would be a large "E" or "FE" on the back of the axle carrier along with a circle and an "X", "/", or nothing, through it. I've seen all three on both open and sure grip axles with all combinations. Some say the circle with the x through it means sure grip. Having seen examples of that on non-sure grip cars, and no written documentation saying that's what it means, not buying it. Whoda thunk anyone would really care about these anyway!? My filler plug shows a red paint daub. Can't make out pinion markings yet and until the axle is out, not sure what's on top.

Rear axle brake backing plate shows a yellow daub on the retainer spring mount rivet. Torsion bars show two aluminum daubs on the left side, one aluminum daub on the right coding them to 779/778 respectively (also stamped on the end of the t-bars). That's the standard S13 HD suspension for the 340 Cudas. Drips on the t-bars facing up shows how they were dipped in paint so they could be facing anyway when installed. Small details!! Lower control arm adjusters have orange/left and blue/right daubs on the ends. This is the first Mopar that I've seen two different colors. Mine are mostly the same color on both. Driver's side arm also has an inspection mark on the large joining rivet.

Transmission markings: 696 for 340 4spd, an orange swipe over the casting number. The red paint isn't anything. Back in the day, someone painted the axle white and the transmission red and that's remnants of that color. Two white blops are on the shifter mounts and another on the lower shifter gear stud. So freaking cooooool!!!

That's the update here. Tune in next time for more progress updates like, "I know, sweety, but it is in one piece! It's just that all the pieces aren't in one piece! "

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (08-27-2018), markinnaples (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Maybe a black light would bring out those hard to see faded paint numbers and markings. I'm no expert on that, but I do play one on TV.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 09-17-2018, 03:07 PM

Hey Dave.
Just for reference - Here are some pics of my AAR. This is what was on my 8-3/4. We took pics and tracings of the original and duplicated all the markings exactly. It was a very clean Oregon car. I will try and find the pics we took before the restoration.
I have some engine pics too if you want to see them. Other than the extra 2 holes at the top of the intake - lol, and some intake brackets and fuel lines....everything on a 340-4 will be the same.
Cheers,
Jim
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Nice detail work, looks outstanding. Sometimes I think we should drive the cars upside down to show off our efforts....
Old 09-18-2018, 12:20 AM

Thanked 2,110 Times in 546 Posts

Don't want to hijack this awesome thread but what is your proven method for uncovering those markings without removing them?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68GTO View Post
Don't want to hijack this awesome thread but what is your proven method for uncovering those markings without removing them?
R68GTO....are you asking me or Dave the OP?
On the pics I posted - the car was very clean and had zero surface rust - it was an easy one to see markings on. On a rusty car it comes down to very, very careful cleaning with mild cleaners. Spraying with WD40 or similar helps to see the markings better. Some are just too rusty to find much of anything.

Maybe Dave has a secret or two he can share....
Old 09-18-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m22mike View Post
Nice detail work, looks outstanding. Sometimes I think we should drive the cars upside down to show off our efforts....
Let’s figure this out, mine is pretty underneath :-)

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 PM

Thanked 2,110 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_COPO_Canuck View Post
R68GTO....are you asking me or Dave the OP?
On the pics I posted - the car was very clean and had zero surface rust - it was an easy one to see markings on. On a rusty car it comes down to very, very careful cleaning with mild cleaners. Spraying with WD40 or similar helps to see the markings better. Some are just too rusty to find much of anything.

Maybe Dave has a secret or two he can share....
Thanks for the feedback....guess I was asking both! Will be undertaking my own project like this in a few months, don't want to screw it up.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

That’s good stuff, Jim. Thanks for the pics! Yes...we’ll be having many discussions once I really dig into it.

Secret? Me??? Are you kidding? All my knowledge comes from those before me!!! I can share that Oxyclean, Simple Green, and as Jim stated, WD-40 are some tools in my kit bag along with several old toothbrushes. Now, I can’t stress this enough, don’t confuse yer new teethbrushes with them old ones! I’m just gonna leave it at that...

I do like the black light idea for these marking on the carrier. That may help a lot in deciphering those markings. Plus, I’ll wear some matching white accent pieces on my clothes for some really cool action shots!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
That’s good stuff, Jim. Thanks for the pics! Yes...we’ll be having many discussions once I really dig into it.

Secret? Me??? Are you kidding? All my knowledge comes from those before me!!! I can share that Oxyclean, Simple Green, and as Jim stated, WD-40 are some tools in my kit bag along with several old toothbrushes. Now, I can’t stress this enough, don’t confuse yer new teethbrushes with them old ones! I’m just gonna leave it at that...

I do like the black light idea for these marking on the carrier. That may help a lot in deciphering those markings. Plus, I’ll wear some matching white accent pieces on my clothes for some really cool action shots!!

Cheers

Dave
And hang a fluorescent Hendrix and Zeppelin poster near the area too.