Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 PM

Good vid of the new front end lift feature for curbs and some good shots of the rear when it goes into the tent.

/Rich
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

PLYMOUTH, Mich. — The 2020 Chevy Corvette is just about booked up for the first year’s production run. Michael Simcoe, GM design chief, said as much at the Concours d’Elegance of America, as a gleaming C8 sat on the lawn.

“I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers,” Simcoe said when addressing the attentive, large crowd at the golf course. We pulled him aside afterwards, and asked Simcoe to elaborate. Turns out, the C8 is extremely close to being sold out for the 2020 model year, but it hasn’t officially hit the mark yet. “It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon,” Simcoe told us.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM

Wow.... Sold out before pricing even hits the street.

/R
Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

Honestly, being sold out doesn't surprise me at all. I would bet that the selling price is close to what it costs to build. I am guessing that they are pricing it starting at ~$60K to get every one sold right away and will recoup more of the development costs with higher priced models as well as future sales. Brilliant move in my opinion.
John 10:30
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Sold out

I relayed this information to a friend and his response was that this was based on a totally refundable $5000. deposit ? Claims it is a clever marketing ploy ?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 AM

I saw the car for the first time this weekend in Plymouth, Mi at the Concours of America. I must say I wasn't impressed with the early photos of the car, but in person, it was a different story. The car was a knock-out on first impression. Wish I could have sat in it, but that wasn't an option. Regardless, GM did their homework on this car. I loved it.

Phil Woj
The Following User Says Thank You to Woj For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 01:05 AM

Chevy engineering does it again. Beautiful design, strong engine, price is right. Great job Chevy.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:58 AM

Me personally, I'd wait a year or 2 until the bugs are worked out, and there will be bugs...
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 07-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
Honestly, being sold out doesn't surprise me at all. I would bet that the selling price is close to what it costs to build. I am guessing that they are pricing it starting at ~$60K to get every one sold right away and will recoup more of the development costs with higher priced models as well as future sales. Brilliant move in my opinion.
Reminds me of me placing my order for the 2010 SS camaro during tue initial ordering period. At that time Many cool options were available with no pricing.

Ordered the car with headers, perf exhaust, short throw shifter etc..

GM waited a month any then announced that nearly every option I wanted would be available as an accessory but not from the factory and my car was immediately placed on constraint.

I was told that the RPO content at roll out was a marketing campaign to get as many confirmed orders as possible right away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
67BelAir427 (07-31-2019), markinnaples (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

General Motors Design Chief Michael Simcoe sure made some headlines this week following his presentation at the Concours d’Elegance America in Plymouth, MI.

During that presentation, AutoBlog reported that Michael said, “I think the orders have already hit the first year of production numbers” and upon further questioning, Simcoe said “It’s nearly sold out. It’s so close that it’s bound to be sold out soon”.

Those statements from the design chief lit the up the phones of Corvette dealers across the country who took calls from those worried they had already missed out on the opportunity to purchase the car for the 2020 model year.

Although I am sure that Michael is proud of the response the next generation Corvette has received, the car is actually far from being sold out and here is why.

Most dealers have been keeping a list of interested buyers which up until this week was just a list and not actual sold orders. Those customers may have put down a “refundable deposit” for their place in line. Dealers can now enter those orders into the system, but no one is guaranteed a new Corvette just yet.

Dealers are expected to get pricing on August 15th in which they will then go back to the buyers with reservations and present them with the price of the car that was ordered. We know from previous years that a number of those buyers will then elect not to move forward with placing deposits on the car, thereby freeing up that allocation for another buyer.

Other factors will also cause some potential buyers to back out or hold off include not being able to order the exact car they want because of order constraints on selected colors, options and equipment.

Some customers will attempt to “dealer shop”, meaning they may have several initial refundable deposits at different dealerships and will only accept the one that offers them the fastest opportunity to get a car. Many buyers won’t get their cars until at least a year from now and for some of those, their financial circumstances may have changed from when the order was initially placed.

Since Simcoe’s statement, we’ve seen or heard from some of the largest Corvette dealers who are saying they still have plenty of allocations available for the car. We know that the top three Corvette dealers in the USA (Kerbeck, MacMulkin and Criswell) all have plenty of allocations available for the 2020 Corvette and we are sure this extends down the list of dealers as well.

No doubt that Chevrolet has a hit on its hands, which is why they elected to announce the addition of a second shift at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant back in April to handle the additional demand for the car.

Will the C8 Corvette eventually sell out? The old joke about Corvette sales goes something like this: “How many Corvettes do they sell each year? All of them.”

Over the course of the next year, Chevrolet will indeed sell all the 2020 Corvettes. But to say they are sold out now is just not a correct statement to make at this time.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...d-here-is-why/