Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 05-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: Gramma's Car: the new project!

Cleaning time. Used a spray bottle of the purple stuff degreaser and cleaned the engine compartment. Thirty six years of oil and dirt everywhere. Got most of it washed away with the garden hose.

Notice where the exhaust head pipes are sitting? Gee, what do you think the odds are that when I went to remove the brake master cylinder, that the flare nut wrench would slip out of my hand and fly through the air and land right in the driver's side head pipe...and then slide a foot or two down the pipe...laughing at me the whole way. Nothing but net.

I had to find a flexible wire and fasten a magnet to the end and fish it down the pipe. It was like a carnival game from Hell. I finally won the game and got my wrench back after about an hour of fishing. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 AM

I pulled the front steering linkage and the steering box, just to clean the encrusted gunk off. The steering box was natural cast finish with an aluminum cover and a pink paint daub on the spline where the steering shaft mounts up.

Dodged a bullet here! Check out the steering box bolt in the center. I used PB Blaster to loosen the bolt but it still took an impact gun to get them loosened. I would loosen, then tighten, then loosen repeatedly, to rock them free. Looks like the center bolt came out just in time. I was surprised it didn't break after seeing how much was rusted away.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 AM

The steering linkage was gunk covered and took a lot of brushing and degreaser to get it clean. You can see the original green paint mark on the driver's side, inner tie rod. (Just like my 72 T/A had). The weird black plastic ball thingy that looks like a toilet bowl float is actually the plastic cover (two piece) that goes over the steering box rag joint and the lower six inches of the steering column shaft. I think this was some kind of safety item to prevent debris, rocks and stuff from jamming the steering if it got caught between the rag joint and the subframe.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 AM

I pulled the brake booster out to clean it up. It had quite a bit of surface rust on it. Soaking it, face down in the safestrustremover.com stuff. Working very well taking the rustiness away.

You can see the light blue inspection mark on the &quot;Delco Moraine&quot; stamp in the 2:00 position on the face.

And on the top was a light blue mark that ran across from the front side to the back side at the 12:00 position, as well as an orange daub right at the top.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 AM

Here's the engine compartment at the moment. I ended up using a little daub of diesel fuel on a rag to clean the firewall and the inner fenders. It worked out very nicely. The dry areas you see on the driver's side of the firewall and alongside the A/C box are the sloppily-applied, factory body schutz undercoating, which I am leaving in place.

And, yes that is a rag covering that cursed open exhaust down pipe. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Some of the cleaned up parts at the moment: the steering box, wiper motor, the steering shaft, the 7042264 1972 400 carb (matches the intake I have on the car), and an extra brand new master cylinder that I had sitting around waiting to go on something.

My parts order from Summit Racing should arrive tomorrow so I can bring the pistons, cam bearings and block assembly hardware over to the machine shop. I ended up getting the entire rebuild kit, which includes .030 pistons, rings, cam, main, and rod bearings in one package. (The crank polished up nicely so I can stick with standard size main and rod bearings.) Since I already had bought a new Melling oil pump and a Felpro gasket kit, they were able to deduct those items from the kit and save me about 80 bucks.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 495 Posts

Are you going to paint and detail under the hood...??

Looks like you are doing a good job....wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I'll be painting the frame rails as best as i can. The rest of the suspension, upper and lower control arms, etc, can be done after the drivetrain is back in.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 AM

Got the engine parts from Summit this morning. For some crazy reason they sent me 6 pistons from one warehouse and 2 from another. I brought them to the machinist and he didn't have a good feeling about them since they looked markedly different: an old version and a new version of the same part number. He weighed them and the weight difference was off the scale, literally.

I called Summit and they agreed that was not right - you never mix and match pistons from different sets, let alone different years of manufacture. All I can assume is that it must have been the computerized inventory system selecting the locations from which to ship. They issued a call tag for the 6+2 pistons and they are drop shipping me a new, matched set directly from Sealed Power.

On a positive note, they do have excellent customer service people, who realized the problem and took care of it immediately.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 AM

The born-with block was bored .030 and is ready for the cam bearings, galley plugs, freeze plugs, etc.

The original 6X heads are in process at the moment. Original valves were in nice shape, so we are reusing them. The heads will be resurfaced after the valve job is finished.

Gee, maybe I'll get up to an actual 8.5 compression ratio with the head shaving. I don't know if today's gas can handle all that power! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 AM

BTW, here's the brake booster after a couple of days of soaking in the safestrustremover.com stuff. It took most of the rust away. It did also remove what was left of the original zinc dichromate plating.