Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: 72 TA : New Project

I see what you mean about that article! I never realized Quadrajets were that complex. I'll see what the secondary air valve spring is set at and go slowly from there.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 PM

On the advice of Phil at Custom Rebuilt Carburetors, here in New Joysey, who I bought the 7042273 Quadrajet from in 2005, I unbolted it and brought it by his shop where he freshened it up. He ended up putting in a pair of BE secondary metering rods, replacing the leaner stock CR rods and rechecking everything on the flow bench.

No flat spot anymore. A noticeably more linear power band.

Runs scary fast now - keeps pulling all the way up the rpm range. Thankfully I have forged connecting rods now. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]

Here's Phil's website. Lots of neat stuff vintage stuff there. He has a lot of rare carbs in case anyone is looking for something weird and original.

http://customrebuiltcarbs.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 01:17 AM

Nice, how much did he charge? My carb I bought from him a long time ago is running a tad rich on the primaries. Have not had the guts to open up the secondaries yet, it is plenty quick without the 2nds [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 AM

He didn't charge me anything. He said there wasn't much that needed to be done that wasn't done originally, it just needed &quot;fattening up&quot; from the stock specs, a new gasket or two, and rechecking on the flowbench. To me that's still a lot of work and I would have been happy to pay for whatever he would have charged for his time and experience.

That's one of the reasons I will be bringing my future work to him and am happy to spread the word. Another reason is that he is a local business here in Jersey. Not many of those still around these days.

There are so many bad experiences in the restoration world, it's refreshing when you get to spread some good news once in a while.

(P.S. I don't mean to divert any business from our esteemed resident carb-meister, Eric at VintageMusclecar, since Eric doesn't do Quadrajets any more)
Old 09-22-2010, 02:03 AM

Glad it worked out...it seems that recently, all of the Qjet cars that I've owned or worked on needed to be &quot;fattened up&quot;.

IMO it might be the &quot;Less than 10% Ethanol&quot; swill that they call gas here in Fl. Great stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 AM

Good point on the ethanol angle. That's why I use the major gas brands like Shell that are still gasoline and not a mixture with ethanol.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 AM

Steve;

No need for apologies, Phil's a friend of mine and I often refer QJet work to him, but FWIW I am doing them again myself, just on a somewhat limited basis (details on my website in the FAQ section)

It's all good, glad Phil got the carb dialed in. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Eric
Old 09-25-2010, 12:37 AM

Today's lesson is the principle of Occam's Razor or in Latin, Lex Parsimoniae, which translates to &quot;the simplest explanation is usually the correct one&quot;.

I have been chasing down a tachometer gremlin for a while trying to figure out why the tach would not rev beyond 4000 rpm even when the engine was obviously going faster that that. Also, when the engine was cold, the tach would read double it's actual engine reading.

Well, after fiddling around, running extra tach leads to other tachs to compare readings, checking the distributor leads, checking point dwell... I was about to pull the coil and change that.

Guess what...the coil wire was not fully seated into the top of the coil and all this time, the voltage was just jumping across which, while powering the ignition system, was wreaking havoc with the tach accuracy.

So I pulled the coil wire, cleaned the terminal ends, pulled the boots way up and made darn sure both terminals were locked into the coil and the distributor. And now the tach reads correctly.

So let that be a lesson to everyone - check the simple, stupid stuff first. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2010, 02:41 AM

Steve..couldnt help it but I went right to Wikipedia to understand what the heck you were talking about. So I am going to pick myself up from the couch and put to use Occam's Razor and find why my MSD box works one day and not the next!!! Keep bringing us the stories Steve.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 PM

Looks like we're getting some free press:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...to/?refer=news

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]