Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 AM

Default Re: The New Project: Part Deux!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And she never even chipped a nail! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
</div></div>

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Looking great Steve! Keep up the good work with the kids.

Jason
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

While it was 60 degrees out today I rushed and got the rest of the engine completed so I could get some paint on it. I did spend a good half hour or so priming the oil pump and pumping oil through the engine while constantly turning the engine over by hand to get the lifters filled and oil up to the rockers. The daughter assisted in running the drill...until it started smoking and she ran inside claiming she had homework she had to get done. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here is something some of you Round Port guys might be interested in. Since no one makes the unique 1972-only intake gasket that has the small square heat riser port for the 7F6 cylinder heads, I had to improvise a little.

I ended up using the Felpro 90123 (RAIV, 1971 455HO,1973/4 SD455) large port intake gasket for the intake runner sections and then sectioned in the heat riser portion from the Felpro 90205 1972 455 D-port head intake gasket. This way everything ends up matching what it is supposed to mate with. And since the cast iron heat riser is a separate piece from the aluminum dual plane intake, there are no leakage problems to deal with.

And yes, that small, open, horizontal rectangle above the square heat risser port is supposed to be open to the atmosphere. It is sealed off from the inside of the engine and I believe it was created to allow ambient air in to prevent hot oil from &quot;coking&quot; onto the cylinder head's internal heat riser passages.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM

All assembled and wheeled out in to the driveway as the sun was going down.

And with the rest of the OEM Paint 1972-only, Robins Egg Blue paint that I had left over from the 72 T/A from a few years back. It was $50 a can back then. I don't even know if they are still in business making this stuff any more?

The wife helped me wheel it back in to the garage, in the dark, where it now sits waiting to go back in the car. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Steve...thumbs up for involving your kids and wife in the project. You are creating memories. In the end that is what counts. The car may or may not be there but your kids and wife will always remember the time spent in the garage with dad. Great job Steve! Carry on!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

I always enjoy reading of your exploits Steve...Enjoys your kids, the grow up FAST [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 PM

I got the engine all prepped and ready to go back in. Once it was up on the hoist I called the wife out to assist. She was not amused since the last engine install she helped on was with Gramma's Firebird and the motor mounts in a 1975 Pontiac are super hard to get lined up as compared to the older style used in 1972. That one took two hours of jockeying just to get one motor mount bolt in place.

This engine went in like a dream. I figured out the trick: Move the car to the hoist and not the hoist to the car. I had the engine in the driveway lined up with the center of the transmission tunnel. I then had the wife hold the back of the trans so it wouldn't rotate out of position. I then pushed the car to the engine and while she held the transmission in place, I lowered the engine a couple inches. I'd then push the car forward a few inches and lower the engine again. We repeated this around 10 times and the engine just popped right in.

The whole process took about 30 minutes.

All ready for the rest of the external engine parts. Those are the &quot;stunt&quot; valve covers instead of the newly painted ones.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM

NJ, isn't this funny? Here I am with my 16 year old this summer studying our first seal of this type install.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM

The BOP lip seal, I presume? It works a whole lot better than the leaky rope seals that come in the Felpro gasket set.

Very good to see you training the next generation. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes sir on the seal from Butler, that was my first time to use one as well and I hope I got it right. I let my son torque his motor too with a watchful eye [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]