Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar Features

Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts
Default Re: November '06 Feature Car

Clarification to the description. A new block was installed under warranty...Luckily though the orig block was taken home by the service manager. All it needed was a sleeve but the owner insisted on a new block. Dave struck a deal with Joe Cheeks for the orig. block a couple years ago so now it has two blocks.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM

I had heard about this car a number of years ago but thought it might of been a tall tale until I saw it in person at SCR9. I looked at that car for about an hour then. Jessica Simpson could of been standing next to the car in her birthday suit and I wouldn't of even noticed. Of course if it was Belair Bob standing next to car in all his glory I would of called a cop!

Question to all of you out there based on Stuart Adams post, would you consider this the "Holy Grail" of the Camaro world? Is there another Camaro out there that would be rarer?
Old 11-22-2006, 06:54 PM

The 68 Z vert is more rare but this is it for me as far as value. 7000 mile, original drivetrain and body, no brainer for me.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:11 PM

I agree, Stu...when I think of *dream* cars that got me hooked in this hobby years ago, this very car (#55) and the #3 ZL-1 are it...rarity and desirability out the whazoo...I would pick either of those 2 over any other car(s) on the planet, but between #55 and #3, well, the Lemans blue and Rally sport options would probably seal the deal...now, y'all don't laugh at me, but I *literally* got chills when I saw this car for the first time at SCR9...
Old 11-22-2006, 07:39 PM

I first saw this car at the Peterson Museum in '96. It was stashed behind a Boss 429 Mustang, and to the casual visiter it looked like any other Camaro, except for the tiny little placque next to the Mustang that said it was a ZL1 with 7000 original unrestored miles. (The plaque was a good 30 feet from the car).
I thought to myself, why even put it on display there? The exhibit gave more info about the HemiCuda.
When I got home and looked it up on my list, it was obvious what a special car this was, and how lucky I was to have even seen it.
Looking at it up close at SCR9 was a rare privledge, and I can't even think of saying , because it's too special for me to ever dream of owning.
A true piece of American history, and thanks for sharing it with us.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 11-22-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 68 Z vert is more rare but this is it for me as far as value. 7000 mile, original drivetrain and body, no brainer for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 68 Z vert is an unbelievable car but it is restored. As a prequalifier to the "Holy grail" theory the buck stops at #55.

Could you ask for better colors or options?

Dave just gets it. Thanks to Dave for having great convictions and listening to Charley. This is one to have.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanked 2,106 Times in 664 Posts

What's really cool is that it was for sale in the classifieds of a late '80s Super Chevy Magazine for $65,000.

Worth more now with the original motor I expect...
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM

I'll relate this car to Barnhart's tow rig running down the highway. All most people see is an old Camaro Race Car on an old Truck.

The few people who saw this car driving down River Road Friday afternoon as it entered the Stephens Center had absolutely no idea what they were looking at.

Like Barnhart's, this car is unbelievably rare and unique to itself. One of one, that can never be replaced.

Thank You Dave, for sharing it with those of us who can appreciate what it is!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:48 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Dennis...my point exactly! Dave is willing to get it out once in a while...so everyone who knows where it'll be displayed can have a chance to see it.

I don't think anyone around Charley and I during move in knew what it was...heck...half the guys in the staging area didn't have a clue...until Charley opened the hood to warm his hands on the valve covers...LOL
Old 11-23-2006, 03:06 AM

don't think anyone around Charley and I during move in knew what it was...heck...half the guys in the staging area didn't have a clue...until Charley opened the hood to warm his hands on the valve covers...LOL

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things