Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Default Nostalgia Drag Race at I-57 Benton, IL.

A friend of mine is putting together a Nostalgia Drag Race. He said they have about 40 cars lined up to race at the event. The track is in Benton, IL its about 90 miles south and east of Saint Louis, Mo. Its a nice little track and raced there when I lived in IL. My hometown is about 20 miles away. The guy putting the race together a long time friend races a 67 Fairlane a replica of the Downing and Ryan car (The Going Thing). It was on the cover of Hemmings Motor News about 2 years ago.
http://www.thegoingthing.com/

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Nostalgia Drag Race at I-57 Benton, IL.

We will be holding an open format NSS race at I-57 Dragstrip on Saturday, June 8th, 2013. The track is located in Southern Illinois between Benton and West Frankfort. It is an 1/8 mile track and is surrounded by shade trees and has a nicely paved pit area. There will be a test and tune session on Friday the 7th and a rain date of Sunday the 9th. Bob Wilkiewicz will be coordinating everything for this class.

The Winner will receive $1500, Runner Up $500, and 3rd & 4th place will be $150. The best thing is, these are CASH payouts. 5th through 8th place will receive their entry fees back. Entry fees will be $50 for car and driver which includes the Friday T&T and the track will be serving BBQ.

If we get a minimum of 30 cars the purse goes up. $2000 cash to win, $750 for 2nd, $250 for 3rd and 4th and entry fee paybacks for spots 5 through 8th. Now for the losers race. $500 to win and a Gift certificate from Ken Jones Performance for $250 towards carb service for the runner up. We have raised a lot of money through sponsors and intend to dispense all of it the day of the race. In other words, whatever money we have goes back to the racers, we won't keep a single penny. Please help spread the word on this event with fellow NSS racers. There will also be an open comp bracket race that day of anything 1972 and older. Not sure of the rules but if you have an old Gasser or Nostalgia car........ Bring it! I'm pretty sure it is a Foot Brake Only deal so no electronics. There will be a group of Geezer Gassers as part of the program too for exhibition so it should be a fun day of Nostalgia racing. We are in the process of setting up online pre registration hopefully within the next week. If you choose not to register online you are more than welcome to do so the day of the race. If you plan on racing at this event or have any questions please e-mail me at [email protected] It will give us a better idea of how many cars to expect.

Hope to hear from you as this is going to be a great event!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Cam I come play?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 AM

Tom,
Drop me a note if you're going. I think my son & his buddy will be there.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sYc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cam I come play?

</div></div>

I'm sure Earl would love to have you come out to the track. I'm hoping they have a good turnout. I'd be there for sure if it wasn't such a long drive for me.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970Ls6 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Ls6

I might have to check that out if I am around, sounds like a good time, and about an hour or so away from my house

Give Blood, Give Life.