Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,188 Times in 1,341 Posts
Default Re: Original Goodyear Poly glas tires

My understanding was that PL5 was the standard white lettered (ss/copo)tire in 1969 and PL4 was the optional Polyglas. I have never seen a polyglas on a 69 car but mention is made on the released ZL1 documents regarding car #68 being so equipped. Were there any 15 inch polyglas tires available for 9737 equipped cars or Z28's, and what was the code. You would think, cars designed with handling in mind would have the polyglas tires available.

BTW, this is a great informative thread... keep up the great work

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 10-14-2005, 12:09 AM

I just think that if polyglas tires were supposedly available on every 69 Camaro built after May of '69 then they shouldn't be that terribly hard to photo document.

Nearly every other RPO available on a 69 Camaro has been photo documented in a vintage pic at some point on this site or another, with the exception of these polyglas RWL tires. I just think if they were installed in any #'s at all, someone oughta remember their Camaro having them or have the pics to back it up.

I hear where you're coming from Kurt, and understand that not every 69 Camaro got photographed when it was new, but plenty did, which is why we have concrete evidence that some wore Uniroyals, some wore Firestones etc. but none of a Camaro wearing polyglas tires. If it weren't for original pics to document these restored cars and their individuality, they might as well all be wearing Goodyears if you go by the build sheet. JMO
Now...somebody dig out that '69 photo of your Camaro with it's original polyglas tires and we'll all go
Old 10-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

'406TOM' hooked me up with a "OLD" tire he had.
Perfect.

Stored upright for photo.

Jim
Old 10-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Don't look at Pacecars, except for some of the very late ones, for an original picture of a polyglas tire, especially ones that were at the track. Those were all built in February or 69 well before the April 1 announcement of the polyglas availability. If a pacecar came with polyglas from the factory, it would have had to have been a very late April or early May car.

I have them on mine,(see signature link) but I only have them because I stole them on Ebay for about 150 bucks for 5 of them. I don't have any documentation on my car (04L) that would indicate what kind of tires came on it originally though. They just look more vintage on the car than the old BFG Radial TA's it had on it, although they drive like crap.

My Pace Car
Old 10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

All I have is the remains (50%) of the TANK Sheet- Chassis Broadcast Copy found on top of my gas tank.
Tire detail below

Mark the tires on your car look good. I just switched to some Firestone radials after 20 years of Bias ply redlines and the car is Fun to drive (Safer)!
I put the GYR-WT-GT in as a spare because, It looks great.
I have no vintage pics of MY car and have no information as to what was installed from the factory. If I recall others have indicated that the "Z" wall code was for a White letter tire, just what brand would depends on a lot of factors?
A lot of the advertising for PACE cars shows the GoodYear Wide Tread GT. I realize that all production cars would not be the same.

Hey didn't Steve from the east coast have some great vintage pics of a pace car he has? Maybe a tire shot.

Jim