Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Declining collector car market ??

While surfing a few other forum boards, I noticed more than a couple opinions that proclaim/predict the collector car market is soft/weak and declining. Personally, I haven't seen ANY weakness on REAL cars with docs and/or owner history. With approx 30 days til B-J and other sponsored auctions in Scottsdale, I have to wonder what buyers are thinking as they register and arrange their banking for that auction week?

Frankly, from my perspective, I've seen several high-water transactions over the last several months. How about it...Colin, Stefano, Rich P, Chuck...have you guys seen evidence of a declining market?

SS
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts
Default Re: Declining collector car market ??

--------Steve,,,Not saying there isnt a slowdown, but in my opinion very few car people spend big money shortly before B/J. Im not saying that we are going to spend our money at B/J (God knows I dont), but we wait to see if B/J will signal anything specific about the car market that we can get our teeth into. That and the season simply kill sales at this time every year. Some people with reason to worry start mouthing off about the sky falling and a few others start to believe it. Good cars still spell "good sales"!!!!.........Bill S
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM

I stated this a couple weeks ago.. I think the market on good stuff is still alive and going strong! Numerous record sales were made just last month and a auction in IL. (I believe Russo put it on) and there has been a few other noteable muscle cars sales/deals done lately too. I think the market has slowed down but mainly on low end cars or cars that there are plenty off or ones that are cloned to no end! I dont think we'll see Barrett or Russo fall off to bad.. I dont know if we'll see the numbers like last year but I bet it will be good. Too many judge the market by ebay which is full of holes and scams or auctions like Mecum which I believe hurt the market because they put way too many of the same cars at 1 venue and there isnt enough buyers so then people thing the market is bad (great place to go see awesome cars but the logic behind what they do bogles my mind) + Alot of sales dont make it to public light. JMO.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

-------The Ill. auction was Mecum and you are right, many records set. Thats because Dana knows what he is doing. Auction companies sometimes dont have the luxury of picking which cars are going to be run thru. You seem to be making some kind of accusation about Mecum and thats just wrong! His auctions are just about the only ones out there I have any degree trust in. Possibly RM as well. Believe me, when there are too many of one type of car (lets say LS6s for example) the dealers will step in and pay decent, if not record setting, prices. You have to buy em to sell em!!! If there are a few weak sisters in the bunch, of course they will suffer more.........Bill S
Old 12-11-2006, 07:19 PM

The auction Im talking about wasnt Mecum. It was a private collection sold by I believe Russo. Its in this months Old Car Magazine. As for Dana I like the guy just question what they do sometimes?? and yes he does have the luxury of picking good cars why do you think he gets such killer cars at his auctions? Its because he is a good guy and is personable and the fact he has a reserve and the guys with good cars know theyre safe doesnt hurt anything either. But putting 5 LS6 Chevelles and 10 Z28 Camaros and so on at every sale is just insane too me, why not spead it out and make the guys that want them really bid? Your not going to bid to get the first couple Z28s if you know 10 more are coming up behind it thats just common sense. And alot of the guys at sales dont know how to pick up a magazine and buy a car that way, so the only way they get theyre cars are at the sales and they will pay if they think there is only 1 or 2 of the car they want Supply and Demand 101. I dont know to many dealers that will pay record prices unless its known as the best of the best, or there is a huge feeding frenzy of a certain type of car. Thats just how I see maybe Im wrong but to me to much of 1 thing just isnt good.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM

I believe Andy was referring to the Capisie/Ford auction by RM.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM

Stefano Clean out your PM's.

I like #1 cars and usually pay too much, LOL. #1 cars and rock soild paper will always be good, IMO. Prices are kinda stabilizing a little it seems. Everything else is a crap shoot.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 PM

I went to Mecum in Oct.hoping to capitalize on a stronger can.dollar and a "falling" muscle car price trend.I thought great cars with paperwork or "patina" were as high as I've seen.The ones that lured me there from the preview catalogue were not what I thought they'd be.Nice cars though......missed the dk.brown 69 442 4sp. that car was a deal! Anyone here buy it?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter

I'd be surprised if the market overall is dropping to any degree. I think there are short term contractions and hiccups similar to what's seen in real estate. Nevertheless, when you look at a graph spanning any significant length of time, the cars are net up overall.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 PM

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

I don't see this as a decline happening,but more as a wider division in the market occurring.The really well done quality restorations,as well as rare or unique documented vehicles are asking AND getting top dollar today,and rightly so.
It seems to me that the driver quality,less attention to detail and more commonly produced vehicles that were once riding the financial coat tails of their better blessed brethren are now the ones that are having trouble selling at prices that are no longer seen as acceptable.