Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Preservation forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts
Default Preservation of a 68 Camaro

I started this thread on CRG and after more thought I felt it might be beneficial to some here as well that may not have a Camaro or frequent CRG.

I’ve thought long and hard about this and I think, with the rising interest in proper restorations coupled with the surging popularity of survivor cars I felt it would be an opportunity to go through the processes of preserving a vehicle. While I have decided that since RGR is no longer in business and, myself, wanting to help the community, I wanted to start a new thread on how and when to try to attempt preservation on these survivors. I will be using my 68 Z as the platform for the processes I use. I recently brought this car home from a prolonged storage at a friends home and I, then, took a small vacation from my automotive duties. Now that the fog has settled, I have looked the car over and decided to abandon the original plan. Which was restoration that has now turned into a preservation attempt.
I thought seeing how far it had deteriorated to reviving the remaining original car and enjoy the path and hopefully learn some new info along the way. Overall I look forward and encourage additional input from some of the; as I like calling them, Automotive Preservationists. My approach will be from a person that likes to work in the garage and maybe doesn’t have limitless resources but I think an average enthusiast can do and feel good about doing it. Also if you have never attempted any of these processes do so on a test panel or junk part before moving to the desired part or area needing the work. Let me make it clear I am certainly no expert when it comes to preserving as this has always been a hobby. With that said, Let’s get started…

First let’s go over the history of the car to date 11/22/21. Car was originally ordered by Capitol Chevrolet in the fall of 1967 and left Van Nuys plant on 12/22/67. (See Photo 1)

Unfortunately no history has been found but the trail starts to pick up in the spring of 1970 with this article from the Austin Statesman newspaper. I believe that this is potentially the order in which the story goes at this point. Purely speculation to date.

01/20/70

Person w/ 68 Z writes into newspaper about hill climbing/gymkhana racing.
Columnist T.Q. Jones suggests going to Armstrong-Johnson Ford and meet up with the Cobra Colts Mustang Club. (See photo 2)

While this is going on a salesman by the name Bill Pevey sends out a note in the paper that he was currently at Henna Chevrolet the other dealership in Austin aside from Capitol.

01/30/69

Bill Pevey ad for him moving to Henna Chevrolet (See Photo 3)

The cause for this info as he then writes another ad in the for sale section that he was back at Armstrong Johnson Ford in

03/14/70

Bill Pevey (salesman) ad listing he left Henna Chevrolet to work for Armstrong-Johnson Ford dealership (See photo 4)

This becomes important as Mr. Pevey places another ad several months later of a, you guessed it, 68 Z.

07/16/70 - 07/18/70

Ad appears 68 Z for sale to contact Bill Pevey with A/J phone number 454-3711 (See Photo 5)

Also of note is the company Armstrong Johnson is undergoing a name change from the 51% of Bob Armstrong’s ownership being bought by Leif Johnson (which already owned the remainder 49%) in July of 1970.

07/27/70

Article about Leif Johnson buying out Bob Armstrong's 51% share of company to become primary owner of Ford dealership which would include the name change from Armstrong-Johnson Ford to Leif Johnson Ford. (See photo 6)

This is very important as the car still has the Armstrong Johnson of Austin dealer emblem on the tail pan. For the next month or so there are several ads with a 68 red Z28 for sale on the lot. (See photo 7 & 8)
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to cook_dw For This Useful Post:
Keith Seymore (12-02-2021)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry N6854.jpg March 8, 2013.jpeg IMG_E9993.jpg IMG_E9992.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...