Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Default Re: ZL1 @ $410,000.00

I heard the same thing. I recorded the days of coverage and re-watched that segment and though hard to hear, due to the guys talking on TV coverage, it sounded like the car was accurately described.I would think all those interested in the car would have heard the info loud and clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard the auctioneers describe the car as being restored using NOS parts and a complete GM body shell on the Speed Channel broadcast. it was hard to hear any other details as the Speed crew were talking about ZL-1s and you had to listen around them. Sounds like George was true to his word about making sure the car was accurately described. Kudos to him.

To me the price achieved is far below what the car would have received if it wasn't a rebody and reflects good information about this particular car being available in the marketplace.

</div></div>
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There you go Chris with that big wooden spoon to stir the pot.

I just have a hard time with spending that kind of money on a car with a VIN swap with that whole Federal law breaking. To be honest if there was some sort of way to get the Feds involved with the process and get it doccumente as legal I might be okay with it. I don't know where I would draw the line on sheetmetal repair then. </div></div>

Exactly. The significance of swapping a VIN from a wrecked body to another is an elephant in the room. As far as the rebody description being clearly read by the BJ announcers, I could not hear that on TV due to the SPEED channel commentators talking over him.
(I replayed it several times)

Usually if there is a problem with a side view mirror screw or a trunk sticker put on crooked, Steve Magnante would mention it, as he would wrong color, multiple repaints, incorrect engine, etc. I guess he didn't get the memo on this car.

If the seller was as honest as he could be and met his obligation to be truthful then all is well. Forget I mentioned it.

Putting away the spoon now.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM

I thought the 410k price was very low for a ZL-1. Now i know why.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 PM

Watching at home, I recorded it and have the ability to mute of the sounds of the speed guys and just listen to the sound track coming from the block. The guys at BJ did mention that a GM shell was used in the restoration. I then reversed the process and muted out the sound track coming from the block and just focused on what Speed said about the car and they completely missed that. Too bad it would of made for some interesting comments........

With the full disclosure of what it really is, I would say that was some strong money for that car. I have been out of the loop for awhile and when I saw the price for the car I could not figure out why it was so slow which caused me to spend 30 minutes or so rewinding and making the sound adjustments. The car was on the block for nearly 10 minutes. This morning I logged into the site for the first time in a while and saw the previous threads about it.......should of checked here first....
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I feel that the car was not accurately described with a full disclosure that is not left or open to interpretation. The first sentence of the following statement is easily understood &quot;Only the highest quality components were used in this restoration with a strong emphasis on New Old Stock pieces instead of more readily available reproduction items&quot;. However, this statement is being deceiving at least in my opinion &quot;A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history&quot;. This doesn't factually state that the car was re-bodied just implies a GM shell was used to correct the damage / modifications done to the car over the years. This meaning to me that a GM body was used as donor parts car, i.e. floors, rails or trunk floor, etc.

It should have read &quot; Another complete GM body was used to restore this vehicle instead of repairing the original body because of the extensive body modification done during its race history.
(2) 69 RS/Z28 Lemans Blue / Olympic Gold
2010 2SS RS Aqua Blue
68 Z/28 Lemans Blue
C7 Corvette
68 SS Lemans Blue
Old 01-22-2012, 04:57 PM

replacing ((some metal)) is typical but moving tags that another conversation
Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Yenko Paid Member

How did they deal with the two hidden VINs on the firewall?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

More than likely the old firewall was incorporated into the new shell so the hidden vins would be there as well as the trim tag not having to be removed so they would be acting in accordance with the law would be my opinion.

Remember the 69 RG Z28 RS that was sold to Ron Pratt a few years ago that was claimed to be an original car and was later revealed the trim tag from the original car was removed and replaced on a donor body? The real Z was wrecked and buried but someone removed the tag and sold it to the restorer who then tried to pass it off as a real car that BJ sold for 135k approximately....how do guys feel that this is any different? This ZL1 had plenty of paperwork proving that at one time the car was real, albeit the firewall but it appears that the large majority of this ZL1 was NOS...

Thoughts?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanked 5,358 Times in 1,881 Posts

Hi Tom...I guess my thoughts are that George let the prospective buyers know exactly what the car was...it was clearly stated on the board that was in front of the car.

Knowing George, he would have also discussed what he found out about the car AFTER he bought it....which was somehow missing info from the person he bought it from. After all...George didn't do the VIN swap. If people want to raise a stink, then go after the person who did the swap, not George.

What I find even more amazing is the BS that people pull without disclosure. Remember the Silver Deuce that had the VIN's switched and the hidden VIN on the cowl welded in? There was no disclosure on that...and it only came to light when some discovered the switch. Then folks disassociated themselves from the person responsible.

George sold his car with full disclosure of what it was...can that be said about most?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM

the 65 mustang gt 350 barn car was definitely messed with. The motor has a fresh coat of paint on the motor. So much for the story book?