Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-01-2022, 09:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Wow, this sale makes me better appreciate the experience I got taking my brother's twin to this car out of the parents garage for a joy ride many times while he was on an overseas buisness trip, it was virtually brand new, he worked for GM and ordered what he liked every 2 years through a exec car program. My mom looked the other way which now looking back on it was insane. I thought that thing was fast, it would light up the tires and handled like glue (I remember more of the handling vs the acceleration, while in a trance looking at the shaker in awe). That was the feeling of that period compared to other cars you would have been in that had a back seat.

Last edited by black69; 08-01-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I get that. My first car was a 54 Chevy. I wouldn't spend close to half a million on another one. My second car (one I wish I had kept) was a 57 Chevy. I wouldn't pay a huge premium for that one either.

I don't see this car ever selling for that money again. Reminds me of the Ray Allen Chevelle convertible that sold for $1.2 million. That buyer got somewhere around $200k, IIRC. Car brought $450k in 2015. Pretty damn expensive way to relive one's youth!!! At least that car had some historical significance. If you just want a "Smokey and the Bandit" T/A, there are plenty available without paying $440k.

The 75 - 80 American cars are just slugs, IMHO. I have considered getting a 77 Z/28; just because it was a signal from Chevrolet that they were ready to get back to performance. It just took a really long time. GM was pretty much MIA from the day Pontiac killed the SD 455 until Buick gave us the GNX. It was like the light came on and they figured out emissions and performance did not go hand in hand.

The 77 TA may have been the fastest US built car (top speed) with a back seat. Figures from old rags have the Corvette a couple of mph faster; but that is all academic, as neither could top 132. If you are claiming the 77 TA as the fastest production car from that year, you must be excluding European models.
yes talking american cars. and for the record i cant imagine this one bringing that money considering it had been "redone refurbished or whatever" but it tickles me greatly given the fact that as i have been liquidating my collection over the last several years, the cars i have been keeping are my trans ams, especially the 76-79 se cars.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:48 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Didn't mean to come off so harsh. I respect anyone who appreciates certain cars. I agree; it isn't all about going fast.

But, when it comes to "performance" cars, that is certainly part of the criteria.

Hey, I have a 69 Opel GT with a 1.1 engine. I love driving it around, but it is way slower than your late 70s TA cars. I just never looked at it like a performance car.

Happy for all you make on your collections. This sale can't hurt.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:53 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

The 50 mile or less Buick GNX cars are getting $250K or more. This is probably the only car in existance. So although the number seems high - where are you going to find another like it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
The 50 mile or less Buick GNX cars are getting $250K or more. This is probably the only car in existance. So although the number seems high - where are you going to find another like it?

Maybe post #7! 😂
Old 08-02-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusher_Man View Post
Maybe post #7! 😂
That was a 79, this one is a 77
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Pusher_Man (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
The price paid is an outlier, unless there are other equivalents selling #'s. To compare a GNX which at the time was pinnacle in performance and special built car to 77 Trans Am SE is incorrect. Yes, the 77Trans Am SE is unique and have always had extra value compared to other 77 Trans Ams but the multiple paid is beyond the norm. The seller is happy and buyer as well so a win...win.
My question is where are you going to find another buyer at $440K. Perhaps the under bidder

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
MosportGreen66 (08-02-2022), olredalert (08-02-2022), Xplantdad (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I know a guy with one of these GNXs and I am pretty sure its in the 50 mile and under range. I seriously doubt he has been following these new prices and will update him. wow.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shauger View Post
The price paid is an outlier, unless there are other equivalents selling #'s. To compare a GNX which at the time was pinnacle in performance and special built car to 77 Trans Am SE is incorrect. Yes, the 77Trans Am SE is unique and have always had extra value compared to other 77 Trans Ams but the multiple paid is beyond the norm. The seller is happy and buyer as well so a win...win.
My question is where are you going to find another buyer at $440K. Perhaps the under bidder
14 miles on the odometer
Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 PM

The S.E. a.k.a. "Bandit Edition" was just a color / trim package.

The T/As from this era are not "rare" per se as 68,745 were built in all variations and "PMD records indicate that 15,567 Special Edition Trans Ams were built in 1977"

They do handle and drive much better than stock first gens and feel faster than what they are. They have enough torque to smoke up the rear tires even with the tall rear gears. They are fun and nostalgic cruisers and were all over the place when I first got my licence.

The 4 speeds and WS6 Disc brake cars were made in lesser numbers and the vast majority of guys looking for these cars seem to desire more options and T-Tops.

GNXs with aprox 547 produced were collectable just about, right out of the Gate. The Buick dealer I was working for recieved two and let them sit for a couple of years. He made enough off the one to pay for the other.

Last edited by Stefano; 08-02-2022 at 07:16 PM.