Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 72 T/A progess

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, are you going to keep the faded finish?

Neat how this product works...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean the underside finish, it isn't faded, that's all the original assembly line white paint overspray on the red oxide e-coat primer. I will probably try to match the finish somehow on the under trunk area as we have to replace the bottom of the trunk floor and may end up painting the underside panel up to the upper rear dif area bulkhead. I guess we'll have to prime it and then fog in some white overspray to match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the confusion Steve, I meant the jack base...
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

No, it's a little too far gone to keep in its present shape, so I'll be repainting the jack base as soon as I can find the correct color. The guys on the Pontiac website tend to use Ford Dark Blue engine paint but there's got to be an exact match out there somewhere. Anyone know what the correct paint color is?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 AM

What we ended up doing on the black 69 Z was using cosmoline, boeshield, or the like on the underside to keep the rust at bay and just left the finishes as found, (we were going for as much originality as possible) I did not want to shoot any paint on the chassis at all, felt like it would detract from the vintage look and feel of the car.

If I were having to replace metal... I would keep as much as possible in the original finish then spot in just like you are talking about... I think that is the way to go...

Keep up the good work Steve...

James
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 AM

This is the only project I've seen where half the supplies come from a pet store.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 AM

You gotta improvise, adapt, and overcome. Never take no for an answer: I just try to think out of the box (or fish tank as it may be) That's how I ended up using the wife's Abdominizer 5000 as a frame stand, an aquarium heater to warm up the derusting fluid, my kids to finger paint the original paint daubs back on the rear differential....
Old 12-22-2006, 05:05 AM

People have been asking about the original primer under my car and what paints may be out there that are close to replicating it. I bought a can of the OEM Paints #42030 "Undercarriage Paint Factory Red Oxide Low Sheen" sold by Classic Industies (1-800 854-1280) at $17.95 a can. I sprayed a couple coats on a piece of white cardboard (so it ended up a little bit lighter than it would be over metal) It is pretty darn close to the original stuff under my 12A-built 1972 T/A. It was hard to get a good photo of the comparison because the flash tends to meter off of the card instead of the car itself. Anyway, here it is. It seems to have the correct sheen/gloass as my car has. It should be noted that it was very hard to find a spot on the underside of this car that did not have original white overspray on it, but I managed to find a spot where a hunk of the original undercoating fell off.

Looks like this stuff is the ticket for replicating the original e-coat. Now if we can all chip in and buy about 10,000 gallons, we can dip our cars in it just like the factory did!

By the way, Classic Industries just sent me an email announcing their 15% off holiday sale. You have to use the secret email code to get the discount. Here it is, feel free to use it: HC1157. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-22-2006, 06:32 AM

Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,003 Posts

This stuff is better than sex! Well maybe not that good but damn close!

Steve, thank you for sharing all of the photos and as others have stated, the narative and progress shots. That car is amazingly clean. Had I known about this stuff a couple of years ago it would have made a few of the original untouched cars I helped clean up go a lot faster.

Chad...............I think we need to talk about doing this to a certain Red and the other Blue '70 Chevelles.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 AM

I just checked the Classic Industries website and they have raised the price on the red oxide paint. It's now $31.95 a can. I guess they must have been following this thread and now expect a rush on orders just in time for the last minute holiday gift giving season.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:30 AM

How this for the final result on color matching: After doing the usual search of the unsual places (every autoparts store in a 20 mile radius) I found the exact color for the 70 and up GM jack bases and jack mechanisms: judge for yourself:

It's Duplicolor DE 1609 Chevrolet Blue Engine Enamel

Old 12-26-2006, 02:40 AM

Very nice Steve. I think you nailed it!