Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 04-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Possibly broken pressure plate springs due to poor quality metal and heat?

Dave
Old 04-21-2019, 04:13 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Not really a good story. Not made in China. Made in Japan in the 70's.

Engine in this vehicle will not even go to 6 grand.

It does have a two speed axle.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 AM

I did hear a good story on something similar. People had a new small chevy, maybe a sonic. They bought it to pull behind a big motorhome. Left it in first gear... Melted clutch and threw rods out the block. They had no idea until they looked back and saw smoke. I saw it at the dealership with the engine and transmission out. NOT covered under warrantee
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM

This is the PTO disc in a two stage clutch off a Japanese built tractor.

Pushing the clutch pedal down halfway disengages the main drive clutch. Pushing the rest of the way down disengages this second clutch for the PTO.

I loaned the tractor out last year. It was used to dig 55 post holes with the gin pole auger attachment. Guessing he burned up my secondary clutch. When I got it back, it had a new left rear tire on it, and the clutch linkage had bee adjusted way out. I think what happened was this disc had come apart and some parts were piling on top of others, taking up the slack, making it difficult to disengage the main clutch. Parts would move around, causing it to sometimes fail to disengage. Other times it would work flawlessly. The other disc looks almost new.

This was my first time splitting a tractor. Everyone seems to make a big deal out of it. I will tell you, it is a lot easier than pulling an engine out of a car.

Anyway, will post more pics when I get a chance. Really funny looking clutch set up.

BTW, anyone know if this hub can be rebuilt? Can they use this hub and rivet on new attaching fingers (or whatever they are called... don't know the correct terminology... I just know they are spring steel and have a slight bevel to them)?

Having a hard time finding a replacement.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM

A clutch shop could tell you. We are lucky to have South Bend Clutch here to fix problems just like this. Have been using their services for over 50 years, on race cars and four wheel drive pullers, along with semi tractors and other oddballs.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 04-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
This is the PTO disc in a two stage clutch off a Japanese built tractor.

Pushing the clutch pedal down halfway disengages the main drive clutch. Pushing the rest of the way down disengages this second clutch for the PTO.

I loaned the tractor out last year. It was used to dig 55 post holes with the gin pole auger attachment. Guessing he burned up my secondary clutch. When I got it back, it had a new left rear tire on it, and the clutch linkage had bee adjusted way out. I think what happened was this disc had come apart and some parts were piling on top of others, taking up the slack, making it difficult to disengage the main clutch. Parts would move around, causing it to sometimes fail to disengage. Other times it would work flawlessly. The other disc looks almost new.

This was my first time splitting a tractor. Everyone seems to make a big deal out of it. I will tell you, it is a lot easier than pulling an engine out of a car.

Anyway, will post more pics when I get a chance. Really funny looking clutch set up.

BTW, anyone know if this hub can be rebuilt? Can they use this hub and rivet on new attaching fingers (or whatever they are called... don't know the correct terminology... I just know they are spring steel and have a slight bevel to them)?

Having a hard time finding a replacement.
Did it as a kid (not alone) on the farm -- all I can say is be very careful ... those parts weigh a ton!!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earntaz View Post
Did it as a kid (not alone) on the farm -- all I can say is be very careful ... those parts weigh a ton!!
Thanks Craig. I am a city boy. My first tractor experience. I did go on the wheat harvest in 1973 to help fund college. Worked on wheat trucks and combines.

Doing it on concrete helps a lot. Would not want to try it in the field. Also, a gantry crane on wheels make it very easy.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 AM

I should have known that! I guess I have never had a pto apart on a tractor before. Only tractors we have left that would be similar are ones my grandfather farmed with.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:21 PM

Found a guy in Humbolt, IA that can build me a clutch disc using this old hub. $120 and a two day turn around. Also has the release bearing and pilot bearing in stock.