Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Re: COPO VALUES IN GENERAL

[ QUOTE ]

Let me ask you this, would you pay signifigantly more for a 4 door Impala that one of these dealers sold simply because they sold it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Why do you keep trying to logically define something that's purely emotionally driven?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Well, the masses have spoken.

I did not start this thread to argue about anything, I simply asked some questions.

No one has yet shown any clear cut proof with regards to a partiular car that has sold for more money simply because it sold originally from any given dealer. This was a sidbar incidently to my original question.

Simple information gathering, thats all.

Sorry that some found this negative.

No further comments necessary.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has yet shown any clear cut proof with regards to a partiular car that has sold for more money simply because it sold originally from any given dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you are really joking aren't you? I guess you have never heard of Gibb, Nickey, Baldwin, Yenko, etc....
Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, the masses have spoken.

I did not start this thread to argue about anything, I simply asked some questions.

No one has yet shown any clear cut proof with regards to a partiular car that has sold for more money simply because it sold originally from any given dealer. This was a sidbar incidently to my original question.

Simple information gathering, thats all.

Sorry that some found this negative.

No further comments necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I've paid a premium for cars from high-perf oriented dealerships that aren't one of the big names, but meant something to me personally. That's the point. It's emotion. It's not something you can define and print in Old Cars Price Guide.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one has yet shown any clear cut proof with regards to a partiular car that has sold for more money simply because it sold originally from any given dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you are really joking aren't you? I guess you have never heard of Gibb, Nickey, Baldwin, Yenko, etc....

[/ QUOTE ]

When MultiMopar stated it is foolish not to use "Old Car Price Guides and called these cars a commodity, he lost most of us. These cars are not a business to most of us, we are enthusiast with a passion for these cars. Yes they are expensive but there is no risk if you love these cars(because you know your cost upfront) I have owned many Muscle cars and have never felt the need to refer to a car price guide. If these car were a commodity I would say yes use the price guide but the cars you are targeting are scarce and they haven't been produced for 40+ years.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

MM
I can't really answer your original question you started this topic with,because I don't follow those cars as much.But I think most have been very respectful with the majority of your inquiries on here and have shared good insight.
As well as paying more for a car that sold new from a well known dealer like those already mentioned,(compared to one that wasn't),trinkets & memorabilia from those same dealerships are also highly sought after by their owners and thus more money is offered as well,compared to the average lesser known dealerships.
But to include the lesser known dealerships also,like one where my non super car was sold new at,I'll personally pay tall money for anything that came from them.Why??..because it means that much more to me then another dealership out there.Why??..because it's geared towards my car and that speaks volumes to me.
So much so,that I have to have it at nearly any cost.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I have heard of them. I was selling Dodges new in 1968-74 and I suspect it was probably before you were born.

It just makes no sense to me. A car's value should be based on it's condition and model regardless of WHO sold it. If the documentation to prove what the car is happens to also determine what dealer sold it that should have no bearing on it's value.
What is missing here is that I believe ALL of these hipo COPO cars WERE sold by ONE of these dealers so how can you assign partiular value from one dealer over another? If one of these cars surfaces that could be documented and it showed that it was sold in some farm town dealership that also sold tractors would it be worth more or less?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Ask Fred Gibb.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MM
I can't really answer your original question you started this topic with,because I don't follow those cars as much.But I think most have been very respectful with the majority of your inquiries on here and have shared good insight.
As well as paying more for a car that sold new from a well known dealer like those already mentioned,(compared to one that wasn't),trinkets & memorabilia from those same dealerships are also highly sought after by their owners and thus more money is offered as well,compared to the average lesser known dealerships.
But to include the lesser known dealerships also,like one where my non super car was sold new at,I'll personally pay tall money for anything that came from them.Why??..because it means that much more to me then another dealership out there.Why??..because it's geared towards my car and that speaks volumes to me.
So much so,that I have to have it at nearly any cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated by others, it is a personal choice of the buyer if he wants to justify in his mind if he is willing to pay more because of this.

I can understand someone willing to pay a little more for a car from say their hometown dealer or say their father's old car that they have an emotional attachment to. But what I am speaking of is in general for buyers that have no emotional attachment to the original selling dealer. I just can't see people making a blanket statement that the selling dealership SHOULD have added value to EVERYONE.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

A very desirable car is a 67 Nickey converted 427 Camaro. I believe Mike sold one about a year ago at Mecum for around 400K ? Out here in Ca. we had a dealer named John Geer that also was converting 67 Camaro's with 427's. The Nickey is worth several hundred Thousand and the Geer car if to be found is probably worth less that 100K.