Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Tune-Up / Oil for my '67 RS with born-with 327 2b

Hi everyone! I love this website, I'm a long-time lurker and I learn a ton of information here.

I have a 1967 RS with the born with 327 2bb. All original, my family is the 2nd owner. My mother bought this car off a used car lot in 1969 and has owned it ever since. I know I owe you all a post in the main forum with pictures!

Can you guys give me a recommendation on the best oil brand and weight for this old motor? I think the valve seals on the driver side cylinder bank has started leaking a bit because I get some heavier blue smoke on that side. I live in the pacific northwest in a fairly mind climate so I was thinking Valvoline 10W-40 High Mileage.

Also, I'm going to be tuning it in the next couple of weeks. I have probably put about 200 miles on this car int last 3 or 4 years. It still has the original distributor (points).

Currently, I'm running AC 45 on the plugs. I think AC 44 are original but I don't think they are available anymore. Since I don't drive the car much, I figured the +1 on the heat range would be good to burn off the oil and carbon around town when I start it once in a while.

Any specific brand of points / caps / rotor to look for? I want something that performs well and looks somewhat original. (I don't want an orange cap, for example)

Thanks Guys!! Your knowledge is outstanding and I appreciate all of your help.

Kevin
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts
Default Re: Tune-Up / Oil for my '67 RS with born-with 327 2b

Kevin,
I have had good luck with the 10w-40 high mileage Valvoline. The only thing I would consider adding would be an additive from Comp or Crane to protect the cam. As far as the tune up, you can get good parts and the cap will be black, from NAPA, Standard, and AC Delco. The wires, you will want Delco's for they will be black. The plugs, I would use R45S or an equal. This will be a little warmer and will have an extended tip to help keep it clean. Hope this helps
Tim
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Tune-Up / Oil for my '67 RS with born-with 327 2b

Any other advice guys? Thanks for the reply napa68

Please visit: http://www.bydennislarsson.com/