Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Declining collector car market ??

I think this sums it up best, that were once riding the financial coat tails of their better blessed breathern,

I have also noticed edgy/driver cars not selling out hear the last 6 months, last year they went fast, guys are getting a wakeup call on selling crap with so so paint joe average cant see through.

nice cars are just fine in the market.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see this as a decline happening,but more as a division in the market occurring.
The really well done quality restorations,as well as rare or unique documented vehicles are asking AND getting top dollar today,and rightly so.
It seems to me that the driver quality,less attention to detail and more commonly produced vehicles that were once riding the financial coat tails of their better blessed breathern are now the ones that are having trouble selling at prices that are no longer acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 PM

The average car price was inflated by the good cars, now average pocket books don't buy average cars.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Some very good points here! I also think that the ceiling has been hit for driver quality cars and my experience is that anything more than $65K seems to sit for a while before it sells. Perhaps this is the top of the comfort zone for many? There is no doubt that "real" paperwork is carrying more weight than ever before and that "certifications" are not nearly as desirable nor as valuable as they were a year ago.

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy
Old 12-11-2006, 10:01 PM

Agree with youz guys.Like any other passionate hobby the deeper you get the more discriminating and refined those interests become.Lots of boomers bought muscle as a rennaisance to their youth,and that certainly allowed for the "all boats rise with the tide" effect of the last few years.The percentage of people who own them know relatively very little(or even care)about the stuff we are rabidily uncompromising about.So yes,the clones will continue to remain soft and the pedigree cars will hold their water because there are a limited amount of them in circulation,and enough purists with uncompromising taste.This doesn't even address the increasing costs of restoration-so a done car that's "all there" will not only offer instant gratification,the costs are finite,not to mention the anguish of waiting two years to enjoy it.
Of course for some the joy IS the restoration!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Well, I will throw this out there. I have kinda, sorta, not really, thought about selling my 68 Z28. It is a pretty nice car. Juinor level Diamond Certified. NO factory paper. MacNeish documented as having the original, born with complete drivetrain. Notorized letter from the original owner stating it is real. I have talked to a couple of guys about the price. MacNeish says its worth 65 to 75, which seems pretty high to me, but what do I know? I am being told by these guys it is worth low 40's, as the market is going soft. I have seen some real nice, documented ones go for mid to high 40's. Who's right? I would think MacNeish would have a pretty good idea as to value, but the guys I have talked to do too. Mabey I answered my own question, by seeing what they are really selling for?
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 12-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Just depends how fast you weant to sell it.. The guys telling you 40k are probably the ones who will write the check as soon as you say you'll take it and Jerry is probably thinking that is what its worth to the right guy looking for your car. Im sure Jerry has info on alot of Z sales that know one else would know about. To me personally his certification is just as good as any paper work..(at least you know he has taken the time to verify and look over the car) with all the fake paper work out there its kinda hard to believe it unless you get it verified the scammers are getting very good at what they do.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 AM

My 3 cents !

The problem is I feel a lot of big buyers have gotten BURNED to much lately with BS cars and being handed a line of #$^& at Auctions, ebay and dealers. I hear so much stuff and have to tell the guy he bought a car with NO Paperwork or a rebody or he paid to much and will NEVER get out of it. I hate to say it but auctions are a great hiding place for the garbage cars with all the EYECANDY and have been sucking these guys in. I'm not blaming the auction houses, they don't inspect these cars and are being told what they want to hear. I have strived for my business to sell cars with PEDIGREE and if I get word of a problem with a car I'm selling,it's removed NO MATTER how much I could or can make. How many people have done that? I work for less than ANY broker out there and still get that BROKER mentality. Love me or hate me but I say it like it is. I have worked hard at this and have taken a lot of heat. Sorry got lost !! Pedigree Pedigree the buyer will pay !! But we have to sift through the garbage to get to the REAL CAR that exist. The cars that are taking a hit ( I have said this for YEARS when asked about the market)will be the clones,NOM and then the cars without paperwork. But the owners of ALL three want ALL the money. Those days are over unless they find a sucker and they are out there. But not as much !!

BJ's is going to be HERO'S & Zero's this year. This is my prediction !!

Sorry for the Grammer for some of you !! NOT !
Old 12-12-2006, 07:12 AM

I think you are right on...
Old 12-12-2006, 07:23 AM

Bill
Where do you think survivor cars of rare models in decent condition with low miles and paper fit into the picture compared to #1 restored cars w/paper, value wise?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM

when the real estate market goes soft, the car market follows right behind... but the skyscrapers still command the big bucks...

JH