Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 AM

Default My new 1968 Pontiac GTO MUSCLE CAR!

It's been a long while since I owned a real muscle car. After I sold my Monte Carlo SS (which I LOVED) I decided that it was time. I contacted a couple people and asked that if they knew of any 69 or 70 Chevelles out there to let me know. A couple of days later Dan Vasic emailed me and asked if I would consider a 68 GTO. I was like, I'm not sure....I had never owned a Pontiac before and my heart was set on another Chevelle. He sent me the stats on this car which was local to me and I was absolutely blown away. It turns out that I knew the car! The owner previous to the one I purchased the car from used to live in Downers Grove, IL where I once worked and he used to attend the local cruise night I attended every week for years. We would sit there and talk about this amazing car and when Dan first mentioned a 68 GTO to me the FIRST car I pictured in my mind was this one so I was blown away when it turned out to be the car! We set a date, Dan facilitated everything and I went to see the car. All I can say is that the owner was an absolutely EXCEPTIONAL guy and the car was right up there with him! The owner was an off the charts perfectionist in every way.

Well, about the car! It's a 1968 Pontiac GTO done in Alpine Blue with a black Cordova vinyl top, 400 cu. in. (6.6 liter) V-8 engine, code WT 10.75:1 compression ratio, 350 HP Rochester 4-barrel Quadrajet carburetor, Muncie M21 4-speed close-ratio transmission, Axle - Special Order 3.90 Safe-T-Track differential heavy duty, G77-14 Uniroyal Fastrak redlines, Deluxe wheel covers (car now has 1968 factory "dog dish caps" but I have the original “Deluxe” wheel covers) Black morrokide bucket seat interior with console Gauge cluster and tachometer, Radio pushbutton AM (replaced with a correct GM Delco AM/FM Mono). Unlike a lot of "pretty boy" GTO's, this one was ordered to be a knuckle dragging MUSCLE CAR, nothing but go-fast goodies. None of that wimpy power steering and brakes, just a 350 hp 400, M21 4 speed, 3.90 posi, and little else!

The car was purchased by it's original owner who lived in Brook Park, Ohio on November 3rd, 1967 from, Paradise Pontiac in Cleveland, Ohio. He sparingly drove the car and passed it along it along to his son about a dozen years after buying the car. The son kept it for several years and sold it to his best friend who lived two blocks down in 1985 and the friend kept it until 1999. It was then sold to a guy who flipped it and sold it to the owner from Downers Grove, IL in 1999 where it stayed until the owner I purchased it from bought it in 2012.

The car was repainted around 2001 but is still original in many areas. The trunk paint is original and it still retains it original trunk spatter paint, mat, and G77-14 Uniroyal Fast Track redline spare. The interior is 100% original and absolutely beautiful with the exception of the carpet being replaced. The glass is amazing and original as is the original black "Cordova" vinyl top. The drive train (engine, trans, and rear) are ALL original and totally numbers matching. The engine was removed and inspected. Internals were as one would expect to find in a low mileage car and everything was within spec so only a new oil pump and timing chain were installed. To improve performance, a Pontiac “068” cam and new lifters were installed, all gaskets and seals were replaced and the engine was cleaned and re-painted. During this process, a new clutch was installed and transmission gaskets and seals replaced. The engine compartment and undercarriage were then detailed, the old exhaust system was replaced as well as few other worn original items.

Here is the cool thing about this car. EVERY original part that has been removed from it since new is STILL with the car. That includes the ORIGINAL redline tires and deluxe wheel covers, the original carpet that was removed, EVERY part that was gone over when the engine was freshened up, etc. It even has other amazing original oddities like its original keys and ALL it's original fuses! The car also has the original sales invoice from Paradise Pontiac, the original warranty info from PMD typed with the owner's and dealer info, the ORIGINAL build sheet that was recovered from the top of the gas tank in 2013, and a lot of other past title, and registration info from the early ownership. The car was also documented with the PHS documentation in 1999 and again in 2012. It just turned 41,000 miles as I was driving it home.

During the previous owner’s ownership the car was shown and won POCI Gold Status in 2012 and won the Geneva Concours d’Elegance in 2013.

As far as drivability, it's amazing. This thing was "turn key" and the only thing left for me to do is replace the redline radials it is currently rolling on with a set of bias ply redlines. I can't thank Dan Vasic enough. This guy is a total class act and represented this car amazingly well for the owner selling it. He also made me feel totally comfortable and at ease. I walked around the car once, briefly looked it over and shook the owner's hand 45 minutes later all because of the way Dan set this up. I couldn't be happier!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:33 AM

Default Re: My new 1968 Pontiac GTO MUSCLE CAR!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:35 AM

Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 AM

Old 04-28-2016, 03:41 AM

Nice score! I'm not a Pontiac guy, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better looking goat than that. Congrats!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,947 Times in 499 Posts

That's a helluva GTO. Can you post a closeup of the G77-14 size on the spare? I posted once looking for more info on these tires and heard crickets, lol. I had seen them years ago on a 68 GTO and find them to be an interesting detail. Congratulations.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:21 AM

Frank, that's an awesome car! I'm actually familiar with it, and have seen it a few times at shows in this area. It's a beautiful GTO.

Let me know if you would like a correct window sticker for your GTO. I just completed one for 1968 RAII GTO to replace an incorrect PHS reproduction window sticker that the owner wanted to replace for points judging at this year's POCI Nationals in Bettendorf, Iowa.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Mike

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Congrats, Frank, nice to see you back with a vintage muscle car!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 04-28-2016, 04:40 AM

Here ya go Tom!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 AM

... Wow [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

.... Great find ....really nice GTO [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]