Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Most Impressive Stock Muscle Car

My buddies '70 SS 396 Nova, with a L88 transplant..4.88 gears
NO HOPE of any kind for traction at any speed with street tires on it.It gets so out of shape so fast it's scary.
2000 "SS" Siverado LS6
Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Kid in my home town had a green 68 Coronet 440. I remember 4 of us in the car at 135mph+ on a section of the Trans-Canada Highway that Guinness listed as one of the most dangerous/murderous sections of road in the world. I swear the car spent more time airborne than on the ground -- thought I was going to bite it right there and then.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I guess your first always leaves a big impression! My dad's cousin, '70 Camero, 454, I don't know what the engine was rated at, but that MoFo could press you back in the seat so hard, you thought you were going to end up in the back seat. He stated that he may not be the fastest around, but he could leave the longest blackmark around! Also, I got to drive Clary's SYC Camero to the gas pump in Martin. No sliding tires or redline shift, but you could tell that thing had a hair trigger!

Rusty Small
Old 01-08-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me it was Hemi anythings...never got the chance to run higher Hp Mk. 1V power in A or F body Chevys but had LOTS of fun in Hemi Runners, Chargers etc...a '71 Cuda 440 V-code car too! .

Not Muscle cars so I know they don't count, but working for a dealer I was always impressed by a lot of Benz products too...had a few good runs in the rare 6.3 and 6.9 sedans also SL's of the day were always great fun especially when the variable valve timing models came out! .

If we start talking fast non-stock cars, bikes or sno-machines...whole different story! .

~ Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete,

Hemi anything as long as it was a Post Sedan

Not stock....(I know your thread said stock) However...this car just says in my head after all these years.

It was my buddies 72 Vega with a killer small block. We street raced it every weekend we had a chance....nothing beat that car on the street. The caption on the back of the car read..."SUICIDE IS PAINLESS"

It had an exhaust header on the left side and a factory exhaust manifold on the right side...just not enough room to make it fit in those days.

Dan.
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 AM

I was 12 yrs old and my neighbor bought his son a new 1970 amc hornet when he got out of the army,It was an sc 360 yellow 4 speed, Man that little car pulled so hard,it had headers and im thinking a trac pac option with maybe a 3:90 rear.cool looking car yellow with the black stripe down the side.
71 SS LS5 chevelle
Old 01-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Lots of cars, lots of memories. A buddy's '73 SD-455, auto w/3.42 ran fairly well, but there are two that stand out. First was a friend's '70 1/2 Z-28, 4-speed w/4.10's. Cortez silver/black. Sweet Jesus, that car flew-- Many have said it, but it was a "kiss the ground" moment when exiting that thing. Of course, it was totaled...

As in the last post, the fastest car I've been in was my uncle's '69 SC/Rambler. Not entirely stock (Torker, Holley, solid cam, 4.44's, but exhaust manifolds(?))-- That thing was such a beast. You couldn't shift it fast enough, and man did that thing hook up. The simple physics of a favorible power to weight ratio I guess...

The way I look at that SC/Rambler, it had aftermarket parts on it that the GM products came stock with. If only AMC had the money for warranty repairs...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 AM

Not factory stock, but appeared it, was a friends 1971 Corvette with a stroked 350 (383) auto. That thing was not known for laying much drag, but being brutal fast off the start and snagging rubber in every gear. He was a constant winner in the night street racing scene. His car made such an impression with me and my brother that my brother had him build a 383 for his 70 Camaro.

Todd
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM

Bought a new 70/442/W30. 2 door post car,M22, manual steering,disc brakes(not power) came with 12 bolt posi 3:91 gear. Warranty replace it with a 4:33 gear. The car would pull the front wheels off the ground.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM

I grew up in Norwalk CT and turned 16 years old in 1975. I had worked the 2 following summers in a local car wash and doing odd jobs so when the time came I would have the cash to get a car. My choice - Cortez Silver 1969 Z/28 Camaro. The car had headers on it when I bought it and occasionally I would drive it with them open. Maybe it was just the noise, but it seemed to run so much better that way. There were many, many, muscle cars around my neighborhood including a black COPO Camaro and a Blue (Dusk, Fathom?)Yenko Deuce. I would say that my Z pulled at least as hard as the Deuce. Unfortunately I never got a ride in the COPO.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM

Could that have been the black COPO Camaro from Valenti in Wallingford ? But I guess it´s to far from Norwalk.