Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 10-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts
Default Nissan Skyline GT-R for $485k? Let's discuss...

Morning, everyone.

As some of you know, I worked for General Motors for nearly 40 years. I'm now working for Nissan as an Accessory Engineer, so I figure I owe it to them to get up to speed on their performance offerings, including the Z car (and it's history) and the GT-R.

As you might guess it's quite an adjustment for me, as an all American "boomer" who grew up with GM muscle cars, to transition to Japanese car culture and collector car mentality. That's why I'm always shocked to see some of these older Japanese cars either going for or asking some big numbers.

It seems the era of the million dollar American muscle car has passed. Is the predicted younger generation/Japanese performance car era now on the rise?

K

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/ve...tering-485000/
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-15-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Nissan Skyline.JPG image.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Thanked 5,990 Times in 2,922 Posts

I think you know the answer already. The answer is "yes." I lived in LA for almost 10 years, and we're seeing an expansion of what had been confined primarily to the west coast. I'm seeing Integra performance variants, early MR2s, RX7s, going for crazy money. These were the cars all my friends drove in high school and college so it's not surprising to me that this is the new nostalgia.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:54 PM

I did the Infiniti Auto shows for 25 years, we did a lot of special events out at their place in Farmington.
We did press events for years, good people.
My 95 is a fun car to drive, 300 hp rear wheel drive, alum V8. Bought it in Scottsdale at a show.
Attached Images

Last edited by Burd; 10-15-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:08 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Morning, everyone.

As some of you know, I worked for General Motors for nearly 40 years. I'm now working for Nissan as an Accessory Engineer, so I figure I owe it to them to get up to speed on their performance offerings, including the Z car (and it's history) and the GT-R.

As you might guess it's quite an adjustment for me, as an all American "boomer" who grew up with GM muscle cars, to transition to Japanese car culture and collector car mentality. That's why I'm always shocked to see some of these older Japanese cars either going for or asking some big numbers.

It seems the era of the million dollar American muscle car has passed. Is the predicted younger generation/Japanese performance car era now on the rise?

K

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/ve...tering-485000/
I played around with some Jap tuner cars 15 years ago and I was watching Skylines then so here is my take: good Skylines (GT-R's) have always commanded a 6 figure premium however when adjusted for cost as new they are still way way behind a typical Muscle car in appreciation.

I actually think the mid 90's GTR's are about half what they were in valuation during the Fast and Furious period about 18 years ago.

Much of the cost and availability issues in the JDM imports are driven by implementation of Shaken Law, so most of the cars here have a good number of miles on them when imported.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:14 PM

This year, Friday night before dream cruise, I was leaving Hunter house and heading home north on Woodward, 3 GTR’s we’re racing, you hardly see 1 let alone 3. One had some big turbo dump in the rear, it was popping real loud. My GF never saw a GTR. It was too dark for a pic.

Last edited by Burd; 10-15-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:32 PM

My 20 something sons are all about these as well as BMW’s, Acura etc.. it’s kind of fun as these cars can make serious power.

Once these 25 year import laws opened up these things really took off.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:49 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
My 20 something sons are all about these as well as BMW’s, Acura etc.. it’s kind of fun as these cars can make serious power.

Once these 25 year import laws opened up these things really took off.

Yep, exactly!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:34 PM

RHD. They were competitive in the Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge right around turn 'o the century. DOT not fans at the time - but maybe thee holy grail car among the import crew. Dude in a Dodge won the day I dropped by, though ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwV5NQIQ6BQ