Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-25-2020, 08:05 PM

Ive done it so many times i forgot how many....only burned once...not really burned..but not what it was advertised as.....on a 71 Superbee...it hurt too..was my dream car...a Go-Green 4 speed car...was advertised as rust free and it wasnt..

i ask for lots of pics..if they stop or get aggravated by me asking questions and requesting pics..i move on..i always make a phone call..i cant do anything with email or texts back and forth..

most people are good people..i always google their name...i never bought from a dealer..always a private enthusiast..
Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I have done this a number of times as well. Agreed on private ownership being a better scenario as I can put on my detective hat and research their name, place of employment, google maps etc.. video of car starting and running is vital. Depending on the dollar value of the car will dictate the need to see it in person. I’d rather spend the money on a flight, hotel than get bamboozled. I have purchased 50 year old cars as well as new cars via this method and happy to report I have been treated fairly.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys for all of your input. My son is lookiing for his first car and can't seem to find anything close to where we live in his price range. He's got the bug and I'd hate to see him get burned. He loves that classic 60s, 70s looking paint job, drag car and everything he's seen in his price range are rollers, which is fine with him. But again not close. Thanks again all. Mark. Ill have him read the posts.

Last edited by wannarun70; 02-25-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
Was this a 1970 SS L-78 Chevelle by chance?
No it was a 1972 Chevelle SS 454 Convertible.
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 02-25-2020, 10:44 PM

Thanked 1,509 Times in 725 Posts

20 yrs ago I bought a 69 Chevelle convertible out of CA, back when I still lived in IL. It was advertised as a rust free CA car. Hired an inspector who had advertised (and still does to this day) in Hemmings forever. Told him I did not want another rust bucket like the IL cars I had previously restored. Bought the car based on the inspection report he provided me. When the car arrived, I opened the trunk and it was immediately obvious that the lower rear quarters had been spliced. Of course, no mention of that in his report. Sent him Polaroid pics which clearly showed the spliced quarters. His response? "Oh, I guess I missed that." Wouldn't refund even a portion of the money I paid him. He was a total jerk. If you're looking for an inspector/appraiser in the SoCal area, I will gladly tell you who NOT to hire!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Pritchard For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (02-26-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 11:26 PM

I bought a 63 Lemans from Hastings Nebraska from a Polaroid.Was on a car lot,had to wait for the snow to thaw before it could be shipped.Lucky it was under coated and had no rust.23 years ago a still have it.Tom
Old 02-26-2020, 12:41 AM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 741 Posts

Ask Kwhizz….........

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 02-26-2020, 12:55 AM

I’ve learned to ask the question “What am I gonna see on this car that I’m NOT going to like?” and that question has been pretty successful in “issues” suddenly being remembered & disclosed. Still, I’ve been burned before and it does leave a salty taste in your mouth. I’m sure we all know the loooonnng wait when you pay for a car in full and wait to see what shows up!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:12 AM

Let me add this other side of the coin: sometimes you receive (or pick up) a car that’s better than expected and that sure makes for a great day!
The Following User Says Thank You to markjohnson For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (03-03-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

I’ve bought many cars sight unseen, through eBay, Hemmings, CL, etc. I think the whole key to doing this is being as educated as possible, knowing what you’re looking at, and having expectations to understand that there may be a few things overlooked when it shows up at your door that are only minor in the overall package of the car even if you’ve done your homework. Communication with the seller is the key to figuring out whether you want to pursue it further. If this person isn’t willing to answer a few questions, or the biggest thing is providing exact photos you request, then it’s not worth your time or aggravation. Me? I trust nobody. Not sure if that’s a good thing, but it’s made me steer away from any “salesmen” pitch I hear and as soon as one red flag is flown on anything I ask. Sort of like when I ask Bob if I can bring a car to MCACN and hear a dial tone.

I have some standard stuff I usually ask: Clear, clean title in YOUR name (not twenty sellers ago), bank loan on the car, what’s the history on it? This gives me a good feel for the seller. I’ve heard many times, “Oh, I boutten’ this here factory rare Ectawhoosits and man, can’t seem to find the time, and I bought lake property...investment....kids....wife..Pluto not a planet anymore...”. So, what I’m hearing is the title isn’t in your name, you can’t register it, there’s more issues here than you describe and you want stick some other moron with all your problems just like the last guy did to you. No thanks!

Always helps to have someone put eyes on it, but if the seller is up front and answers all your questions without hesitation, there’s no reason to doubt their claim. It’s a small hobby world, and for the most part, I think most selling a car usually want the transaction to go smooth on both ends. I’ve never had a bad experience so far GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Cheers
Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
Billohio (02-27-2020), PeteLeathersac (03-03-2020)