Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcom View Post
I would assume this car is becoming a resto-mod. OK, but from a financial point of view, it probably would be a good idea to tuck the motor/trans into a corner somewhere and save . My 2 cents
Yes you'd be correct we are going resto-mod it. I went over this with my customer. Those were my thoughts also. He's owned the car since 1980 and has no interest in tucking the parts away and has no intentions of ever selling the car and or ever putting it back to stock.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

Of course, my first thought, like most everyone else on this board, is why restomod such an nice original car?

Of course, in the final analysis, it is his car and his money. But, I will reluctantly give my 02 cents.

Somewhere out there is a guy with a cherry 70 TA body missing engine and trans.

This set up is worth more to than guy then anyone else (other than the current owner who doesn't want it).

I know it will never be the original drive train to car # 2, but it will be a period correct RA III drive train.

I would think that if I were that guy with the cherry TA body, I would go as high as $15k for the entire package.

You can probably sell it off one piece at a time and make more money, but something to be said for a quick sell and be done with it.

Disclaimer: I am not a Pontiac expert; just my opinion.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Of course, my first thought, like most everyone else on this board, is why restomod such an nice original car?

Of course, in the final analysis, it is his car and his money. But, I will reluctantly give my 02 cents.

Somewhere out there is a guy with a cherry 70 TA body missing engine and trans.

This set up is worth more to than guy then anyone else (other than the current owner who doesn't want it).

I know it will never be the original drive train to car # 2, but it will be a period correct RA III drive train.

I would think that if I were that guy with the cherry TA body, I would go as high as $15k for the entire package.

You can probably sell it off one piece at a time and make more money, but something to be said for a quick sell and be done with it.

Disclaimer: I am not a Pontiac expert; just my opinion.
At first glance it looks to be a nice clean car but its far from it. This car need just about everything.... lower part of the cowl is rotten, Needs a complete floor and trunk pan, inner and outer wheel wells, quarters, inner and outer rear body panel, trunk floor extensions, fenders, hood, etc.

I appreciate your honesty, that's why I'm here. Here's our thinking on this car. If it was a RAM AIR IV we wouldn't most certainly not be doing this. Is it a rare car? most certainly with only 3108 made in 1970. Here's the thing, for what it will cost to restore this car to a concourse level will far out weigh it's value by at least 2 times. If we resto-mod it with modern suspension (All Detroit Speed), modern brakes, and modern drive train but retaining all the originality of the car with a complete stock interior, all stock exterior trim, it's now worth double of what it would be if we did a stock concourse restoration. The concourse restoration and the resto-mod restoration are roughly the same. Going with the resto-mod your just getting more bang for your buck. It will also be a better driving car and that's our customer intentions. His plans are to drive just like when he purchased it back in 1980.

Your thoughts are the same as mine, this would be a great deal for some with a 70-73 Trans Am with no drive train. Someone could have a period correct drive train with all the parts to go with it, pulleys, brackets etc all number matching. I'd love to sell it as a package deal. I'm more interested in the quick deal apposed to the getting every penny for it. I'm just looking for a fair price to start at and we can negotiate form there

Thanks for your insight!
Old 01-10-2021, 04:59 PM

Pm sent
Old 01-12-2021, 02:00 PM

Though for sure a few more people here would have some insight on a least the value of some of this stuff. Anybody?
Old 01-12-2021, 02:16 PM

The carb is a valuable piece and it looks like the correct dizzy is also missing.The exhaust looks pretty crusty so IMO the most valuable piece is the 4 bolt block.If a 4 speed block it would have been worth a lot more.The block could be worth maybe 3K to a 70 T/A owner without a correct coded block.All the remaining parts are usually pretty EZ to find.Tom
Old 01-12-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
The carb is a valuable piece and it looks like the correct dizzy is also missing.The exhaust looks pretty crusty so IMO the most valuable piece is the 4 bolt block.If a 4 speed block it would have been worth a lot more.The block could be worth maybe 3K to a 70 T/A owner without a correct coded block.All the remaining parts are usually pretty EZ to find.Tom
Yes the carb, intake and distributor are long gone. We purchased a NOS RAM AIR III carb a few years back for 69 GTO project.... Don't want to mention how much we paid for it
Old 01-12-2021, 03:42 PM

Tom is right, nothing special. In my opinion, the rear is the most valuable part. The block having the eun of that car, has less value. I would be out celebrating at 5k for everything.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:53 PM

Thanked 1,761 Times in 742 Posts

When you're buying it seems like the prices are crazy high but when you are selling it seems you can't hardly give the same stuff away - this has been my experience trying to buy & sell 409 engine parts recently. Small audience getting smaller.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOLS3 View Post
When you're buying it seems like the prices are crazy high but when you are selling it seems you can't hardly give the same stuff away - this has been my experience trying to buy & sell 409 engine parts recently. Small audience getting smaller.
Isn't that the truth!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jamess113 For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (01-12-2021)