Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Default 69 Chevelle " mysterious" Canadian Model

Hello guys , i NEED YOUR HELP on this car . I am currently looking to buy a special order Canadian chevelle Mysterious edition. The car is a 1969 Chevelle , 2 door . These special cars were suppose to be the canadian equivalent model to the Yenko . Here are the features ; 4 colors availables blue /black/ + 2 others ?? all painted with silver stripes and all having white interior. They are light weight cars beeing 3872 lbs. All came with Yenko hood , driver rear view mirror , bucket seat , no console , 427 /435 hp cast heads square port ,1 X 4V , 4 speed , 4.11 rear end and headers in the trunk for dealer installation . Production figure suppose to be 500 cars for 1969 and 500 for 1970. I have been trying to find info on those special cars with no answers . Any help would be very appreciated .Please do not send me email telling me that it must be a make up story ! If you ever heard of those cars or have any dealers add ,option list ...any serial number decoding will also help. Need help fast...car for sale locally today !!! july 9th 2007 , please reply to my personal email ; [email protected]
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: 69 Chevelle " mysterious" Canadian Model

I sincerely believe that someone is pulling your leg. If 1000 were built, we would see lots of examples. What you describe, is an L72 427 425 hp engine. At 3872 pounds, that is no light weight either. Our COPO Chevelle weighed 3700 with half a tank of gas, and the car was just a standard factory built car from Baltimore with nothing removed. Even with 50 built, there are at least 8-9 examples of the '68 COPO Chevy IIs still around. Be careful.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Contact Vintage Vehicle Services for General Motors of Canada - Here is a link with much more information - http://www.chevelles.com/vvs/
Old 07-10-2007, 01:45 AM

500 cars would have completely saturated the Canadian market at that time. They would have had a hard time selling 50 across the country.
You never know what it may be though, so it's worth checking out with GM historic.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:29 AM

Another thing, there are no known solid lifter Chevelles, L78 or L72, that were built in Oshawa in '69, so these cars would have probably been built in Baltimore or elsewhere. What John just said about market saturation would be true I think. I had the choice of a COPO Camaro from Nurse Chev-Olds in Whitby or our COPO Chevelle from Beare Motors. I seemed to have all the time in the world deciding on which one to buy. I wasn't exactly getting bowled over in the rush by people to buy the cars. There were COPO cars sitting in various Chev dealerships in Toronto as well. That's with probably no more than 30 COPO Chevelles for all of Canada. Price was the biggest impediment. With a dealer adding stuff they would only drive the prices higher and farther out of reach. With GM though, you never leave a single stone unturned because they did do some funny stuff. There was a long time when people wouldn't believe that COPO Chevelles were for real.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Like Keith said,.......be very careful!!!
Lately into Beaumont SD's, 66,67,68 and 69 , including a 69 2 Dr Post Beaumont , an L78 2 Dr Post Chevelle LS6 Chevelle's, LS6 and L78 El Camino and Camaro fan ! Also 2 Cdn Documented COPO's, a COPO Camaro and COPO Chevelle Love GM Products
Old 07-11-2007, 12:55 AM

And verify cars carefully from Que.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Hello guys , Well today is a sad day , the car got sold before i was able to identify the authenticity of it ! I just talk over the phone with Georges Zapora of GM Canada and the car was an original L72 COPO Chevelle. I appreciate your help but unfortunately i will not be the new owner . Could not find any clue to the " Mysterious" name ?? Could have been a nick name with no real meaning but the car was certainly a COPO Chevelle with a 427/425 hp 4bbl M21 4 speed . Now I will try to have the new owner name and try again to buy it back from him . I will try to buy back the car first and will be back with invoice copy later on the forum. Thanks Again , Sylvain