Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1967 Impala SS427 L-72?

I don't know the owner and knew nothing about this particular car until recently. I know enough to say, never say never.

Anyone can be defrauded and potentially make a mistake.

I think this is one cool Muscle car and I for one would like to know if GM ever produced one or more and/or whether or not this is a real car?

This is after all just what discussion boards and these forums are all about?
Old 07-31-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,977 Posts

The ChevyTalk discussion seems a bit too wrapped up w/ opinions based on personal collections of info and what was available RPO or otherwise for '67 model year B-body dealer orders.
Focusing only on what would fly as an order completely ignores what was actually produced, especially considering cars that may've been built for engineering or other purposes!

A good example of a similar possibility is the factory built SBC 400 '69 we looked at in this thread a few days ago, a '70 motor in a '69 model car! https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...564#Post497370
Although not one of the experts, I'm more a believer in John Z's story of the car he had than anything else I've ever seen on the whole '67 L72 B-body subject.
Am I missing something and others don't feel the same?

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM

I guess it's all a matter of &quot;Perception&quot;.........and how deep one wants to get involved in the 1 of 1 cars falling out of the sky without any Doc's......But....I think that's what these car sites are about......I think I should stop now before I get into trouble again!!........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM

I would not refute John Z's story either. What possible gain would he have to make such a claim. I'm sure there were many engineering cars that made it into consumer use and this car could be one of them. But, until someone comes up with proof beyond a shadow of doubt, none made it out on the production line. Like Stefano said, never say never, because anything was possible at that time as evidenced by many documented backdoor deals.

The truth needs to come out about this car though before someone gets burned; whether that is the buyer or the seller.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM

From an earlier post from another site written by a 66-67 L-72 &quot;Guru&quot;.....

True, but this subject has been broached many, many time over the years. The L72 is not listed as an option on any ordering info in 1967, none have surfaced, and there are only 17 engines unaccounted for in this instance, not 5000. The original post was in fact about this car, and the car is in fact a complete FRAUD! It was a turbo 400 car as documented by the second set of trans mounts on the frame, the trans code on the cowl tag, it is NOT and SS427 car (no 4D, and it should be there from that plant), the tach face has been altered, the block casting number has been altered, plus many other items which I won't get into here. To leave this subject untouched and say &quot; it could exist&quot; is reckless at best. This car is NOT real in any sense of the word, is a total fabrication, and should not be the &quot;what if&quot; poster child of &quot;it could exist&quot;. Those of us who own, and are really into these cars are in fact protective of the info and the righteous cars out there, and must react to these blatant frauds created by someone when they are presented as &quot;the real deal&quot;. This car will get sold for crazy-carzy money if someone buys the &quot;urban legend&quot; of it's existence and thinks that this ONE is the missing link.

Donny

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
The Following User Says Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
Dave Miller (09-24-2019)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM

Kwizz,
That paragraph by Donny B. is right on and says it all!
The trim tag does not lie,No 4D (Z24 code) turbo 400 production trans mounts, owner claims 2.73 gears (all 4spd. cars had 3.31'S or lower),Incorrect tach yellow line. to many red flags for it to be real.
No mention of rear diff. code, would be another clue.
Back door exec. car? how long will that hold water?

Popcorn anyone?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 PM

This is what happens when you have no documentation.
Once he restored the car, he lost any chance of proving it came the way it sits. too bad.

This car kinda reminds me of stories of what I heard about some old chevys being built in the janesville wisconsin plant. One guy told me, there were some pickups that had their engines swapped out while inside the plant. So there are some odd trucks running around with highest performance engines (that would have never came that way). Some signs would be left behind of the original build (lets say like a wrong trans mount). They would not have changed the build sheets either. But some of these '427' and '454' trucks made it out the door (perfectly date code correct to the vehicle). Some folks looked the other way. and no vin would be on the block (obviously). It just makes me wonder if this happened here on this impala (not a true factory sanctioned build).
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM

I worked for Bill Wickman for years,was there the day it came off the car carrier,Bill had me drop the tank go through the whole car looking for the build sheet,i came up empty,he has been researching this car ever since,Bill did not alter anything on this car i knew this info on this car 20 yrs ago nothing has changed this car is exactly what he says it is,to bad chevy does not keep records if they did there would be no discussion of it being a fraud.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jim67camarobeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to bad chevy does not keep records if they did there would be no discussion of it being a fraud. </div></div>

The records exist, but they have yet to be released to the public domain.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 AM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Really?.......How do you know this to be true?