Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Color change is a touchy subject, but I'll offer my $.02. If it's a high dollar rare musclecar, stick with the original color combo unless 1. It's horrible AND 2. You're worried about resale value.

I had a 70 Ram Air IV GTO, M21, 4.33, manual drums and manual steering, poverty caps. It was Pepper Green/Black from the factory and when I had the restoration done, I went with the factory color. It looked phenomenal. Car won Best Concours Restored at 2013 GTO Association of America Nationals. Later went to Mecum Indy and didn't sell with an $80k reserve. I wonder what would have happened if it was black; I think it would have sold.
I remember seeing that car advertised. I like the color combo.. The bench seat would have been the deal killer for me.
'73 Formula 455 SD orig paint
'74 Formula 400 Ram Air
'67 GTO 4 speed 35k miles orig paint
'67 Grand Prix 4spd orig paint
'66 2+2 convertible 421 8 lugs
'67 Elcamino pro touring
'21 Challenger Scat Pack WB
'95 Impala SS orig paint
'79 Z/28... driver
'64 Malibu SS convertible
Old 12-15-2022, 07:46 PM

Timely discussion for me as I've been struggling with this for three years and now that the car is in process it's time to make the decision. The car is a Build sheet legit ,71' LS5, M22 Chevelle that was born Mulsanne blue with Black stripes. The plan was ALWAYS Black with White stripes.
BUT, the part of me that has been collecting correct numbered thermostat housings and dated evap cannister is laughing at the idea of going that far with a rotisserie resto and painting the "wrong" color.

Previous posts are correct. It's about the buyer when it comes to valuation at the time of purchase.

I do agree that it can be a wash if the color isn't "desirable". The purist purchaser may devalue and walk but the ODDS of someone wanting Black or Blue is higher thus the pool of buyers gets larger...by a lot.

Which takes me back to mine. I really don't like many of the oe colors EXCEPT Black and Mulsanne. Hmmmm.

Last edited by Durney; 12-15-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durney View Post
Timely discussion for me as I've been struggling with this for three years and now that the car is in process it's time to make the decision. The car is a Build sheet legit ,71' LS5, M22 Chevelle that was born Mulsanne blue with Black stripes. The plan was ALWAYS Black with White stripes.
BUT, the part of me that has been collecting correct numbered thermostat housings and dated evap cannister is laughing at the idea of going that far with a rotisserie resto and painting the "wrong" color.

Previous posts are correct. It's about the buyer when it comes to valuation at the time of purchase.

I do agree that it can be a wash if the color isn't "desirable". The purist purchaser may devalue and walk but the ODDS of someone wanting Black or Blue is higher thus the pool of buyers gets larger...by a lot.

Which takes me back to mine. I really don't like many of the oe colors EXCEPT Black and Mulsanne. Hmmmm.
----Maybe I can help. Black with white stripes is the go to color change for a bunch of cars of all makes and colors. Mulsanne Blue on the other hand was a less chosen color new and way less chosen for a color change (I know that isn't part of this discussion). Choose the blue and you won't be sorry, or at least I wouldn't be as it's a gorgeous color! As a bonus, you won't see yourself coming and going to the cruise-ins......Bill S

Last edited by olredalert; 12-15-2022 at 08:48 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
dustinm (12-16-2022), dykstra (12-18-2022), L_e_e (12-15-2022), Too Many Projects (12-16-2022), tunes (12-16-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:58 PM

Thanked 2,001 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Color change is a touchy subject, but I'll offer my $.02. If it's a high dollar rare musclecar, stick with the original color combo unless 1. It's horrible AND 2. You're worried about resale value.

I had a 70 Ram Air IV GTO, M21, 4.33, manual drums and manual steering, poverty caps. It was Pepper Green/Black from the factory and when I had the restoration done, I went with the factory color. It looked phenomenal. Car won Best Concours Restored at 2013 GTO Association of America Nationals. Later went to Mecum Indy and didn't sell with an $80k reserve. I wonder what would have happened if it was black; I think it would have sold.
Thanks for chiming in, you’ve had some great cars over the years! Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t you going to go racing in that car originally and opted to put a bench seat and poverty caps in what was originally a buckets/console/Rally II car? IMO it likely would have brought more interest as a high level restoration outfitted like that versus black in the configuration chosen. Aside from that, the more understated ‘70 GTO’s seem to always suffer “not a Judge” at the auctions.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:09 PM

Thanked 4,013 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durney View Post

My own experience...

Many here have seen my Madeira Maroon with bright red interior '67 Chevelle SS convert. For the first thirty years I owned it my intention was to change the color to black. In 2009 it was ready for paint. I woke in the middle of the night in a sweat, "I can't do this!".
About a dozen spray-outs later an acceptable maroon was applied.

I would have very deeply regretted the color change. Mullsane Blue is a great color!! - Bill W
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
Copo_Cartel (12-15-2022), dustinm (12-16-2022), dykstra (12-18-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:15 AM

Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,387 Posts

As said, black is an overused color as it is. I bought a 1970 LS5, M22 Chevelle in '73. Black on black, white stripe. BACK then, I thought it was the only color to have. Today ? I don't buy anything black or with black interior. I would walk right by a black car to see your Mulsanne Blue Chevelle.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
olredalert (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:47 AM

Would an interior color change have the same impact valuewise as an exterior color change?
'73 Formula 455 SD orig paint
'74 Formula 400 Ram Air
'67 GTO 4 speed 35k miles orig paint
'67 Grand Prix 4spd orig paint
'66 2+2 convertible 421 8 lugs
'67 Elcamino pro touring
'21 Challenger Scat Pack WB
'95 Impala SS orig paint
'79 Z/28... driver
'64 Malibu SS convertible

Last edited by Formula455SD; 12-16-2022 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:32 AM

An exterior colour change is far more involved than an interior change say going from black to white. If you want to change the exterior colour of the the car, that would involve a lot of disassembly, painting and work. But anyone that ever looks at the cowl tag will be put off right away because the colour is wrong. The biggest colour change I have ever done is a black to white interior....... simply because it is only door panels and seat covers and a few details. Nothing that requires a trip to the body shop.
My experience is only with 69 and 70 chevelles.
I have 3 70 SS cars and after a few minutes of conversation with people.... they always ask if they are the correct colour. 1 of my cars is a numbers LS5 M22 autum gold car. Do I like gold cars??? Gotta say no, not one of my favorites but would I change the original colour??? No way...
So even if it is not a numbers car, at least the colour is correct.....
As much as you may not like the colour, chances are.... someone else will..... just sayin...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 70Guy For This Useful Post:
dustinm (12-16-2022), NorCam (12-16-2022), olredalert (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 04:44 AM

Default Color change

Everyone entitled to their opinion , to my eye all colors at least till GM stopped using lacquer (not sure of the year lacquer last used) but all colors till mid 70’s were awesome from all manufacturers and see no reason to change . Colors that used to be considered undesirable are now the most attractive in many cases .
The Following User Says Thank You to roadster For This Useful Post:
dustinm (12-16-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 11:10 PM
Yenko Premier Member

Durney. You could stick with the original color blue and change the stripe color to white if you like white for the stripes. Then if the next owner wanted the original color back on the car as far as the stripes go, it would be an easy change. I know of an original 71 chevelle that is your blue with white stripes and it is killer!!