Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default special value for cars owned by reggie jackson?

I have a friend that has a L79 66 nova that was one of reggie jackson's early cars, from the 80s. The car has no other documentation other than reggie had it completely redone. It has no other documentation. It was in hot rod magazine back in the day. He wants way north of 60 and to me, he will need to find a fan of reggie cars to get that.

Is there a chance there are some collectors out there that collect reggie cars I can point him to?

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM

Default Re: special value for cars owned by reggie jackson?

This one?

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 AM

Or this one...

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM

I would believe its the latter one, as the registration shows in the 80s. It is a yellow car painted red. I will be talking to him later this week.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 AM

Black69,

Was this car owned by a guy in Virginia, specifically near Richmond? If so I inspected this car about 3 or 4 years ago.I got a call from the owner at the time wanting me to look at the car. He was referred to me by a mutual friend and since I own a 66 L79 I am pretty familiar with them. I did not take any pics but what I did find that the car was originally, per trim, tag yellow but had been painted red. I can't remember if it was a Norwood or Willow Run car. I do know the block had been decked at some point. I could barely and I mean barely, make out the ZI suffix on the pad, and that was with a flashlight and magnifing glass. The VIN on the pad could not be seen. The casting date on the block lined up with the build date of the car so I was satisfied that it was the original block to the car. The block was the correct 362 casting. The carburetor was incorrect as well as alot of other stuff on the car. There was no lift present so I did not get a chance to crawl around under the car to check the transmission ETC. It did have the required 12 bolt rear but I did not check the numbers. When I saw this car, again, 3 or 4 years ago, it was not pristine by any stretch of the imagination. It needed alot of work but had great potential. But hey, we may not even be talking about the same car. I don't have any opinion about whether the hobby thinks previously owned Reggie Jackson cars command a premium or not. As far as I'm concerned they don't, but that is just me. He was a helluva ball player thou.

Hope this was helpful.

Dave
Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 AM

Dave, that is the EXACT car. I think BJ is the only place to uncover the value of Reggie collecting this car. My friend is trying to still run down the 1986 hotrod issue with this car in it, viewed as a milestone musclecar by hotrod (a 66 L79 nova). I believe there are pictures of it being restored at a body shop so he was told, in the hotrod article. Why people dont keep before and after pictures is beyond me. For example what if it had the gold emblems on the glovebox, etc and they incorrectly replaced. Maybe they will say in hotrod magazine who did the car for reggie, and he can go try to retrieve some of the 'before' pics when it was yellow.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 PM

From the article in HRM October 1986:

"Clint Lathrop at Carco, in Orange, California, rebuilt the engine..."

"While in winter training in Arizona some 20 years later, Jackson spotted a faded Lemonwood Yellow Nova sitting in someones yard a few blocks from the Angels´ prectice field."

"John Harvey (at Reggie´s Paint by Little John) confirmed that the old Nova was an excellent candidate for a milestone musclecar remake"

"Details of the car´s cosmetic restoration were touched on in our paint series (see HRM December ´85 and January ´86)´..."
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 AM

Hey Black69,

It's a small world aint it? Hope your friend enjoys the car. They are neat cars and there aren't too many of them left out there that haven't been beat up and thrashed to death. If you or your friend have any questions about these cars you are welcome to PM me and I will help you in any way I can.

Dave
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM

I think I have a copy of that magazine. I will try to find it. Be happy to send it to you if you would like. PM your address.
Jamie
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 AM

Thanks for the help, we both checked out ebay yesterday by typing in 1966 nova reggie jackson, and found the hotrod magazine article for cheap, and also it is in superchevy. So he is going to buy those off ebay to help go with the car. And he is going to call some of the folks in the articles that did work on the car. You can see the car even in it original yellow state (with black wheels).

some neat ads on the car below. I wished him well on selling it, mecum may be interested in listing it in an upcoming auction.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p...0&_from=R40