Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Input on new shop

Let me be next to say "Happy Birthday Lynn",if the calendar is screwed up.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 PM

Happy B-Day Lynn [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Not exactly as fancy as your proposed structure, but I just had this erected. Mine is more utilitarian, but gets the job done. It has 12' engineered truss' and is 32'X32' (largest I could get in that area). It is directly across from my 36'X66' shop.
I like your building's aesthetics. I like the tall center door. If the supporting poles don't bother you (some guys like the open span) then go for the rafter design. I would get roll up curtains for each side of the center bay. That way you can have it open except when you need to heat up a work area, then the smaller area will be easier &amp; quicker to heat.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
Old 01-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Thanks for the happy b-day wishes guys.

Taking it all to heart, and putting a pencil to it. If I do a truss roof, it will be 12 foot ceiling minimum.

I still only plan on one lift, regardless of how big I build. Considering the clear span with trusses.

Metal building would probably be the cheapest, but not allowed in this location.

Trying to think of the future as much as possible. As you can tell from my profile, if you looked, I turned 64 today. I don't plan to fully retire from my law practice for another 19 years. I like what I do; we don't work that many hours; and I want to keep my mind active. My health is excellent, but I have lost several friends to accidental death, &amp; know I am not immune, just as everyone else isn't.

I know Charley thinks I am in denial about another car. I can honestly say, I am 100% certain I don't want a car I can't drive. I know I may run across &quot;that car&quot; that I just have to have, but would be willing to part with one of the current stable. We are at 10 now (not including parts cars both of which will be gone when their respective donee cars are done). Frankly, I don't want to keep up with more than 10. All 10 will fit nicely in our main garage (which is one reason why I don't need storage). Our cars are not particularly valuable compared to most collections, but they are fun cars that we like for varying reasons. We also have a concrete block 22 x 22 storage shed, and a very nice outbuilding.

The outbuilding is close to where we are putting the shop, so I could put the compressor in there. It is currently empty.

I have projects lined up that will keep me busy a minimum of 5 years. I won't be taking on new projects.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 AM

Lynn,

Happy Birthday as well!

A few comments after 37 + years in construction- I built 4 clear span garages for myself, and renovated/modified 4 more and have learned a lot after the first couple.
take any of this advice as you wish.
1) You can never have enough space.
2)clear span construction with engineered trusses is the way to go, you can use a box truss configuration to gain the extra height for the lift area
3)Pay the money for good commercial/architectural grade insulated doors, the size of the garage doors on both sides of your lift bay are too small- those sizes have been obsolete for 30 years, I like a minimum 10' wide ( most of my garages are 11' wide one is 12')and I use 9' or larger for flexibility use a torsion spring with a low head room kit to minimize the additional height of the ceiling.
4) love the idea of the compressor in another room- use &quot;Rotten Cotton&quot; between the studs to deaden the noise, and as noted make sure you have a window in your blast room for ventilation and or external fan
5) I use 4000 PSi concrete for my floors (6&quot; use my lift) with wire while some people like fiber mesh instead of wire.
6) I highly recommend overhang of 12-24&quot; on the sides/eves and gutters
7) Since you can't use 29 gauge metal (cheapest), Frame garages breathe the best and you could use vinyl shiplap/german siding, hardy plank (concrete board) shiplap/german siding, bat and board, or concrete block
8)6&quot; walls are a great idea, and blown in irregular cut fiberglass insulation works very well, depending on your budget you could use a 1/4&quot; foil foam barrier behind the exterior wall for additional insulation.
9) I like 5/8&quot; X board Firerock drywall and there are some great other ones out there as well for any moisture issues and FRP ( fiberglass reinforced plastic) for the first 4' up for mechanical protection and looks good too.

more later if you want it- gotta help kids with home work

Best wishes
Fred

WANTED:
1969 396/375 hp JH Vin N6352xx Mid April 69 block 272 casting
Always looking for dated L78 parts from Jan-Apr 69
Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 PM

X2 on Fred, Charlies comments, I built a 30x30 and it filled up really fast if I had room I would of done 30x40 bit I didnt I did 10' ceiling that went to 12'6&quot; in center for lift and my joists were engineered. You will want heat and air I really dont need heat as I insulated it well a 2 ton window unit does the job cooling it otherwise it would be useless from June till September here in Dallas. I used Rustoleum on the floor as I know there would be spills and it cleans up easy and no staining yes it gets scratched up but I work in it and if you do put some antiskid down with it cause when its humid or wet it can be sliprier than a whales ...

edit: and I thought i was overzealous with electrical outlets and I still had to add some more plugs for my surround sound, projector, door opener, grinder ect all ended up in one location so plan what your goiong to have and where your going to have it
90 Formula 350