Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Traction bars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTO_DON</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally think as long as the parts are period correct vintage, its still 'Day 2&quot; in my book. No clones about it! Seriously though, the only &quot;original&quot; Day 2 cars in my opinion were the Baldwin Motion cars. Anything else was delivered stock and the parts were installed after the fact so they're all clones.

If I bought a 3,000 mile survivor today, and then installed vintage NOS &quot;Day 2&quot; parts, would it then technically be considered genuine Day 2 since the car was never modded until that point in time? </div></div>No I dont believe so Matt...You have to remember these were times when you made the car your own with your personality all over it like writing names and phrases on the fenders and putting the performance parts you like the best ETC I don think sammy was trying to start anything but he remembers the good ole days and us old timers who was there still likes when a genuine Day 2 car is found in a barn or old garage and brings back the memories on how we streetraced and hung out thats all..I think its a nice testamint to those who want to replicate a time gone by but theres nothing like finding a real day 2 car that was beat the snot out of and ruled the streets in your hometown...Hope im not pissing anyone off but thats how i feel.. </div></div>

That's ridiculous Don. You're cutting down current generations and those yet to come who live and breath this stuff. The original day-2 cars are near impossible to find as is. Classifying good, honest cars turned into a &quot;day-2&quot; car today as clones because they were not such when new is asinine. I'm surprised more folk on this site who frequent this section of the forum are not offended. </div></div>
A replica is still a replica Dan Try not to be offended. I stand by my opinion...You should concentrate on restoring your car instead of making it a day 2 car it never was anyway. youll like it better in the long run.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Dan...do what Don says then sell me those traction bars [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

This is getting heavy...so next logical question based on the discussion above...if a person restores a car to stock specs but the car is missing original born-with parts, eg distributor, rims, carb, ect...but original GM date code correct parts are used in the restoration to return the car back to as-delivered...is the car then considered an &quot;as-delivered&quot; clone or &quot;stock&quot; replica...

You guys crack me up...I say we drink about it!
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM

I'll throw away all my cool NOS and vintage Day 2 parts that I have and have been saving all these years. No one wants to be called a clone day 2 and these parts are basically junk now.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:13 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemicolt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to quote Billy Crystal in Throw Mamma From the Train &quot;I have a enormous headache in my eye.&quot;

Real and fake day 2 cars???? Really ?

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img] </div></div>

All are welcome to come over to the Unaffiliated side..lol </div></div>

I'm with you..

My 66 Nova was a straight axle car built in the 70s. I kept it a straight axle because that's the way it was. Now it has many improvements that do not reflect the 70s (and people love to hang the &quot;Gasser&quot; label on it). It is what it is.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fast67VelleN2O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll throw away all my cool NOS and vintage Day 2 parts that I have and have been saving all these years. No one wants to be called a clone day 2 and these parts are basically junk now. </div></div>

Save your parts and join my club. There are now two members. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM

All barn find day 2 cars from this point forward must now be restored with firewall pounded in in around dizzy if car is found with an HEI. All fuses found wrapped in aluminum foil must be rewrapped in aluminum foil. Wires for stereo equipment or fuel pump that are pushed between fuse and fuse holder must be duplicated. Front bowl of holley carb must be beat to death with screwdriver or 9/16 open end wrench if found that way and sheet metal screw must still be installed to make secondaries mechanical. Bent extended shackles have to be reused along with one bent leaf spring and traction bars that are bent or have holes wallered out or have slight curb or road rash.... if factory paint runs and over spray are being duplicated than this new fangled category of the &quot;hobby&quot; must also be exact in all areas.... don't forget to duplicate all the holes in the floor that were drilled for a bench to bucket swap or the parts purchased that were made to fit but weren't ever for that car to begin with.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Just having fun with it, before anyone thinks I'm serious. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 02-22-2013, 05:45 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All barn find day 2 cars from this point forward must now be restored with....

You're forgetting the jagged-unevenly cut shifter tunnel, White paint underneath, and red/orange paint on the rear drums......
Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Born30YrsLate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan...do what Don says then sell me those traction bars [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

This is getting heavy...so next logical question based on the discussion above...if a person restores a car to stock specs but the car is missing original born-with parts, eg distributor, rims, carb, ect...but original GM date code correct parts are used in the restoration to return the car back to as-delivered...is the car then considered an &quot;as-delivered&quot; clone or &quot;stock&quot; replica...

You guys crack me up...I say we drink about it! </div></div>I would say you are just doing the best you can with what you got Fred! Like my Z, I do not think doing a car in Day-2 trim hurts anything if it is a non numbers car. Everybody likes your car the way it is Freddy! Go out and pound on it once and awhile. Does the heart good.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All barn find day 2 cars from this point forward must now be restored with firewall pounded in in around dizzy if car is found with an HEI. All fuses found wrapped in aluminum foil must be rewrapped in aluminum foil. Wires for stereo equipment or fuel pump that are pushed between fuse and fuse holder must be duplicated. Front bowl of holley carb must be beat to death with screwdriver or 9/16 open end wrench if found that way and sheet metal screw must still be installed to make secondaries mechanical. Bent extended shackles have to be reused along with one bent leaf spring and traction bars that are bent or have holes wallered out or have slight curb or road rash.... if factory paint runs and over spray are being duplicated than this new fangled category of the &quot;hobby&quot; must also be exact in all areas.... don't forget to duplicate all the holes in the floor that were drilled for a bench to bucket swap or the parts purchased that were made to fit but weren't ever for that car to begin with.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!