Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Top Day 2 Musclecars?

Fellas -

Have been doing some bench racing with a buddy of mine with the possibility that I'll end up building something if it's feasible. Here's the premise -- build the fastest "Day 2" Musclecar, with common bolt on and period correct modifications.

Why? I think we have a pretty good idea from old magazine articles (the ones that were legit) and the cars that are racing Pure Stock Drags what the quickest musclecars were off the showroom floor. Yes, Pure Stock Drags cars are allowed some minor modifications, but nothing outrageous and they have to run on original size and style tires.

Anyway, I love the Pure Stock Drags, but is it really representative of what you would be lining up against in a street race in any given town from 1964-1971? At the very least, you'd see more rubber (and slapper bars) on the back end, maybe some 4.56's, a shift kit in the auto trannies, and upgraded clutches and shifters in the 3 pedal cars. The engine might have a cam, headers, and a better intake, carb, and better ignition.

So, what would the top Day 2 cars be for each given manufacturer? Car would need to come off a production line; nothing built by specialty shops. No machine work done to the engine; just bolt ons (cam/lifter/springs, headers, carb, intake, distributor), shift kit ok for auto trans, better gears are fine, more tire on the back, etc. Parts have to be period correct, including cam grinds. Would have to be a "musclecar" so no 2 seaters (sorry Corvette folks - I love 'em too).

My $.02. Sorry if I hurt any feelings; this is just my SWAG (Stupid Wild-Assed Guess).

Buick - 70 GS Stage 1. Not a real player.

Olds - I'm not an Olds guy, but would have to be the 66-67 W30 according to my buddy. Followed by 70 W31, I think. Also not super competitive.

Pontiac - 68 RA I or RA II Bird. Competitive. Headers should wake it up some, and perhaps a Holley DP, better intake, and more cam to take advantage of it all? It wouldn't be terribly expensive or difficult to replicate one of these if you could find the heads.

Chevy - ZL-1 has to be top dog, right? But I REALLY like the idea of a 66 Deuce sedan with more cam, headers, larger Holley, and better intake.

Ford - I think this is where you would see some real progress. Shock tower cars have been hampered by lousy exhaust manifolds, so the headers should really wake 'em up. I'm thinking either a 66 Fairlane sedan with a 427 MR (can you fit 1 3/4 headers without hacking the shock towers?) or a 68 Mustang coupe with a 428 CJ. Aluminum intakes takes a LOT of weight off the front end of an FE car, too.

Mopar - 67 RO/WO hemi car. Maybe an A12 car as a backup?

AMC - I'm thinking 70 AMX with a 390.

Thoughts? If I were to build one, I think you could piece together a 68 Mustang CJ clone for cheap. 428 stuff isn't crazy expensive, and you can still find unmolested CJ heads and 428 blocks. And Ford made millions of Mustang coupes, too. Either that or the 68 RAII 'Bird.

If you were to line up the top cars from each manufacturer (only one Mopar, only one Ford/Mercury) and race, I'm thinking the ZL1 would come out on top. Followed by the RO/WO hemi. Then the RAI/II Bird. With the Ford next, but I'm not sure if it would be the Fairlane or the Rust...errr....Mustang.

Your thoughts?

Scott