Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-10-2004, 01:24 AM

Default rebodied with out salvage a title

I tried to post this on the other post but was lock out I MUST post this as I have found it was not legal
Ok guys we have a serous problem I have read this post and was 85 % sure but waited to talk to a friend of mine that’s a judge I ask him if I bought a car for x amount of money as been a special car and found out that some one took a car that was in bad shape and took the fire wall of this car with the vin number on it and rebody the rest from another car do I have a case to sue in court He told me if the car has a clean title in Pa and in many other states its illegal The car MUST have either a salvage or a reconstructed title If the car has a clean title and was embodied the person who did the work and if the person selling the car knows that it was rebodied is looking at some serous jail time He said if the car has a clean title that the car IS worthless because sooner or later some one WILL get burn on this car He said the law was made because of just this type of thing to stop people that would try to get big money for a cut up car With a salvage or reconstructed title forces one to sell a car for much less Now as for someone that goes on this site with this information and then gets burn to the stake is wrong I though that is what this site was all about to keep things clean and legal but it seems that once again its all about the money and who cares if its legal Its buyer beware Lets not talk about it because some one might get mad I WILL be putting this cars vin number in my clone data base because that’s were it belongs its worth more in parts
T
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:48 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: rebodied with out salvage a title

Norm,

I recall this topic (rebody) about a year ago. It was well discussed here on this board. Take a look back you will find the thread.

Phil
Old 02-10-2004, 01:58 AM

Yes I know about the post last year BUT on The yenko post someone got burn to the stake because he reported a car that was rebodied this is worng because it not legal if the car has a clean title I would rather for some one pull the vin and trim tag put then along with the title and frame it then and hag it on the wall I did just that in 1971 with a 67 GTX I had
Old 02-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'm not sure a salvage title would warn a buyer. It seems to me an owner could just sell a car on a bill of sale. I know in my state they don't issue titles on older vehicles.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

I can see your point with newer cars but back in their day old cars were pretty smashed up and repaired but did not need to have salvage titles. This was a running registered car that was untubbed by taking a large part from another car. It might not be your cup of Tea but I don't think that makes it a salvage title car or a rebody.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 AM

Charley I know what you are saying but the laws have and are changing faster than I can type From what I have been told the federal government is taking a hard stand on this Too many law suites
Old 02-10-2004, 02:36 AM

ON a Corvette site I was just reading that in California they are on the war wagon again to out law old cars it never ends I know that this was bought up a few year ago but the environmental whackos are at it again Like I said the laws are changing so fast
If you wanted to start to build 69 Camaros with today’s laws you could not built them like they did in 69

Old 02-10-2004, 02:43 AM

At what point should a car be considered a rebody? I think if over half of the car has been replaced it should be considered a rebody. It seems to me that things are different when a $100,000 car is involved. If this were a $20,000 Camaro everyone would be talking trash about it. This is just my opinion.
James
Old 02-10-2004, 02:46 AM

A salvage title is only issued when a car is wrecked in an accident and cannot be fixed. insurance claim is paid for totalled car or a theft recovery. A restored car doesn't meet those terms. But i am not a big fan of cut the car in half, but the car values have kind of encouraged it to be done. Roger
Old 02-10-2004, 03:08 AM

As I was told money does not matter I was doing some more research today and you would be surprised I have be out on disability for the last four years and out of the business man has things changed every body is law suite happy and with that came the reconstructed titles There are soo many law changes even street rod builders are throwing in the towel I have talked to many people and things are only getting worse
Restored cars that are rebodied does meet the reconstructed title law at first I did not believe it but like I said before every body is law suite happy so there is the law change like I said in the beginning it is not in all states but wait a few years its coming