Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 08-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default My Last Drag Racer Suits Up!

We did the training thing with Danny last weekend, and then kept testing him with questions all week. So, when this past Saturday rolled around at Numidia he was ready to prove that he had this thing down! With remote starter device installed, Danny embarked on his Jr Dragster Licensing Passes - 6 in all. Final answer from Danny - 'I want to go faster!' [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] Ben said the same thing to Ron Capps one time at MGR, Ron quickly replied 'don't we all!'.

The 6 Track Tests are; 1. pull behind (or push), 2. 60' stop, shut off, 3. 330' stop, shut off, 4. 660' moderate pass, 5. 660' full pass &amp; 6. 660' full pass. I had pushed Danny down the track last weekend, so we had 1 completed - although he didn't know it. So, Saturday was Track Tests 2, 3, &amp; 4 and he did great. His moderate pass was a 16.13 ET where he slowed to a stop just after the finish line at 23mph. He was very proud of his slip!

On Sunday we repeated the moderate pass test again just to get him back on focus, except this time his confidence grew and ran it pretty hard with a 12.95 at 45.2MPH. So, we went for the full pass Tests - he did awesome with a 12.46 at 49.5MPH and backed it up with a 12.36 at 51.9MPH! He was on Cloud 9, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] He doesn't believe that he should have to wait till Spring to actually race....explaining that he's licensing for the 8-9 year old class at age 7 is irrelevant to him!

Staging lanes for final pass:

Suiting up for the final pass:

Final pass slip:

Putting the slip into the Drag Slip Analyzer App:

Numidia Track Officials signed off, he's good to proceed:

Time to clean the car....

After 3 runs Danny says 'I'm beat!'. He slept good last night. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

PS: didn't need this, but I felt a whole lot better knowing I could shut the car off from 1/4 mile away with a flick of the finger!
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-17-2015, 09:49 PM

Default Re: My Last Drag Racer Suits Up!

That is priceless....
Totally awesome.....

Congrats
Old 12-02-2015, 02:08 PM

Now that the Jr racing season has ended, it's time to start prepping for next year. I have Benjamin's Jr all torn down, but Danny's body needed to be painted. Unfortunately, Danny's car came loose on the way home from E-Town back in Sept, so I had to repair the nose from the underside with fiberglass and then cut the top side and fill with epoxy. Finished it off with a little body filler. This extra work consumed the best painting weather, but it had to be done.

I was really hesitant to lay PPG paint over the primer coat on the body since I didn't know what type of primer it was. So, we sanded it off - being careful not to break into the gel coat. We sanded the inside too....

For the primer coat, we took Danny along to teach him how to shoot paint - he did pretty good. I showed him the motion, and then let him run with it...

It's never 'all work and no play' when we go to the shop, what 8 year old doesn't like jumping in a pile of leaves!!

Old 12-02-2015, 02:11 PM

I wanted to paint this body in a basic, single stage white just like the first body, but a last minute decision at the paint shop counter had me shooting it in a tri coat white pearl. It's the same mix as the Ford Platinum trucks. I had never done a tri coat before, and was unsure of the order of the 3 stages. Also, being that the primer / sealer / base &amp; pearl coats were all white it was very hard to see coverage and overlap - which is especially important with the pearl stage. So, I laid it down this past Saturday - all 16 coats of it! I only did 3 coats of clear, I really (!) wanted to shoot the 4th coat but the temps were dropping in the shop and I've seen where the 4th coat just sags the entire side...I didn't want to deal with that. The advantage of the temps dropping is that my last coat (heavy) of clear had a lot of time to flow out - so almost zero orange peel! Brought it home last night, Danny approves! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Nice pearl effect with a good amount of sparkle!

Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 PM

These are moments the kids will NEVER forget!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:28 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Looks great, M!
Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 PM

In the midst of our crazy sports &amp; activities schedule, I'm still prepping 2 Jr Dragsters for race season and working on Ben's Nova - but I also needed to finish Danny's Jr body design. Our local vinyl graphic guy did his magic for us!! Danny had a big smile, he was pleased.

We gave the graphics guy a verbal description, and awaited his result - a total surprise, so he set it up as a 'reveal'

Fred has done all 3 of our Jr graphics,Ben Bear, Girl Power, and now Danger Dan!

Now, it's on to the next thing.... Ben's Jr engine has been out for rebuild for the past 6 weeks, and we pick it up this Saturday. Then it's thrash time to be ready by April 16th &amp; 17th! :gears:
Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 PM

Now that looks like a sanitary digger -- enjoy! TAZ
Old 03-22-2016, 02:47 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Awesome Marlin! It just keeps getting better [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2016, 09:08 PM

After months (and months!) of work and planning, this kid went down the track this past Saturday 4x for test-n-Tune, and then for 'real' on Sunday with his first competition run! We dialed a 12.15, and he went 12.17 - he was literally in tears with the loss because his foot slipped off the pedal. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] It's impossible to explain to an 8 year old the myriad of ways he's yet to lose....so I gave him an ice cold bottle of root beer and we talked it through. Ten minutes later he was off, hanging in his friends new motor home watching The Minions movie! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

I didn't sleep much last week trying to get everything ready, but I wouldn't trade these times for anything. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]