Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: Al Maynard Auctions

Something to think about.... Al had a great time playing with all this stuff but now his Widow has to deal with getting rid of all of it. How many of us have treasures piling up that we will never use ? Maybe think about dealing with it sooner than later.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Thanked 1,844 Times in 750 Posts

Charley, you're right. We helped the widow of Paul D get rid of all of Paul's stuff. Most of the cars and bikes were the easiest, but he had gobs of parts, also. Some of his cars were not running and those were a pain.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something to think about.... Al had a great time playing with all this stuff but now his Widow has to deal with getting rid of all of it. How many of us have treasures piling up that we will never use ? Maybe think about dealing with it sooner than later. </div></div>

Five years ago when I had my first heart attack, as I laid in the hospital bed, I had the same thoughts. When I came home, I sold 22 Harley Davidsons that I had collected, most of 4 garages full of Harley parts, four cars, and some of my gun collection. I'm using the cash to build my retirement place in Florida right now. I figure that will be a lot easier for my wife to sell than all the &quot;stuff&quot; that I had accumulated through the years.
I was at Al's place a few times. The stuff he had amassed is nothing short of amazing. I met him 40 years ago, at a small shop here in Flint, Kustom Headers.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM

I first met Al when I paid what I thought was wayyy too much for a Yenko ZL-1 block for 3400 bucks. After a few years I realized he was in icon at Carlsile. A real character and carguy !! He had a few parts that I tried to buy for many years and he would not sell me..bummer to see them auctioned off now. God bless.

..does anyone have any specifics on the individual parts, etc.? how they plan on auctioning the stuff?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiperf69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That is very poor management to me on the part of auction house.
</div></div>

I have yet to meet an auctioneer or auction house that had a clue on how to sell autoparts.
Brian
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 AM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

This is indeed a rather sad and unusual way to sell a collection of this size and magnitude.

I knew Al for nearly 30 years. We judged at Detroit Autorama every year and shared the passion for all things with wheels. I was also called in to oversee the Muscle Car group at the Concours d'Elegance of America, formerly known as the Meadowbrook Concours, when Al passed, which I am truly honored to do to this day.

I live about 15 minutes from Al's place and as Stefano mentioned in an earlier post, the very weak auction description doesn't even scratch the surface of what is in this collection, whether talking quality, rarity or sheer quantity.

I plan on being at the auctions and if I can be of assistance to anyone, let me know.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 AM

I also live very close to this auction. Should be some very interesting auctions.

Kendall
Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 AM

I had the pleasure to meet Al at the 1985 Super Chevy @ Martin, MI. We were both looking at used intake manifolds from a swapper and it started to rain. Al asked if I wanted to sit in his suburban with him until the rain stopped. We talked about his drag racing years and the car and part collection that he had put together. I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet and spend time with him. A lot of knowledge of the car hobby went with him.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:49 AM

These guys have 5-10 online auctions a week going on in a Michigan under a few different business names. They sell everything from junk, to construction equipment, to real estate.
I've bought stuff off their auctions and they are pretty well run.

Will be an interesting way of auctioning a collection like this, but if he has a lot of one particular item, which it looks like he does, it will be pretty difficult to remember what you looked at earlier when you're in front of your computer placing bids a week, or two later.

Does anyone know if they have moved all this stuff across the state to Wayland, near Grand Rapids, or is the viewing at his shop/house?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM

There were trucks and trailers at Al's house loading the stuff about a week or two ago. I don't know if it's all been moved.