Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

Dang...that was quick, the youtube video is gone!

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 AM

A few obsevations:
I did not see Reggie wearing a bidder paddle.
The Kennedy Lincoln "Sold" at Las Vegas.
Ron Pratte clearly looked uncomefortable at the end of the ZL1 auction.
The Assiter family is a contract Auctioneering company, to have the CEO(Craig) interupt and say "Dont do it". Userps the authority given the lead Auctioneer to do the job he was hired to do.
What we see happening here insults the true car collector and affecianados, unfortunately 90% of the buyers and sellers at BJ are dealers. And they have to make a profit.
What makes a car more valuable because Reggie Jackson once owned it? he is a dealer. How many cars has he actually owned or possessed over the years?
Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Open question: How do you sell a car like the silver deuce for example,in a highly public forum, that is openly called a rebody. Where pictures exist, that show hidden vins have been welded/changed in the car, and not draw the attention of any state, or federal DOT enforcement people?
If changing vins to the extent that has happened here is a federal offense, where are the feds? And if you register, or title this car in your state, have you also not committed fraud?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me ask the question again, and perhaps our "legal staff", njsteve, or Les Quam could address it. How do you reconsile an admitted vin changed, hidden vin welded in, vehicle with both federal, and state DOT regulations?
If you know it's a rebody, and the vins have been illegally changed, are you not part of perpetuating the crime by selling it? And again, how would you legally title, or register this vehicle if you're the buyer. You're asking to register a vin nbr illegally (I think) attached to a car that should have a different vin. It seems this is an oxymoron.
At the prices we're talking about here, and the outrage that it always seems to generate, you'd think someone in the law enforcement community would perk up.
Or am I missing something, and is there a legal procedure that allows what transpired, to not be illegal?
We can all express moral outrage until hell freezes over, but until someone is charged, and a legal precident is established in this arena, it will not end.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 AM

Wanna bet you wont see that ZL1 in future reruns of the 2009 Auction.
The Craigerator has already made a call to the honchos of the editing dept of Speed.
Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 AM

Ever notice that EVERY year for a week after the B-J auction ends there are countless threads noting many examples of deception, fraud, and outright lies? Yet people still have the guts to say that B-J "sets the tone" for prices for the upcoming year...In my opinion B-J is nothing more than a big joke, a car show at best, and less "real" than pro-wrestling....has been for years. I'd also bet most of the "well bought" cars weren't actually bought at all.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Green ZL1 sold for 290k? Took lots of block time to get it there.. I saw Reggie bidding on it, but it looks like someone else won..Anyone know the winner?

[/ QUOTE ]

he wasn't bidding on it....it was his car Made me sick to watch Craig Jackson practically down on his hands and knees begging people to bid!

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Gary Holub's car, previously owned by Reggie Jackson. I remember seeing it at one of the Mecum auctions in 2008, it was a no sale at I believe around $320-330,000. It would have been really embarrassing to Barrett-Jackson if it sold for the $120K or so that it first stalled at.

However, it looked like Reggie was standing next to Gary while he was bidding; it looked obvious to me anyway that Reggie was bidding off Gary's signals.

Looked like total BS - the original bidder should have been able to buy that car at the $120K it might be worth, not $290K that they shill bid it up to.

JMHO, but the auction of that car was BS. And how many times did YOU see cars hammered sold while folks were still bidding on them, or before the second bidder had backed out? At least when you watch Mecum you feel they are trying to get the top dollar for your car; at B-J if you are not somebody, you are in line to get screwed.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So the story goes like this... George Washington had an axe and he broke the handle...so he pulled out the little metal wedge from the top of the handle and removed the remaining piece of the handle...in the mean time he sent the axe head out to be sharpened but the guy sharpening the axe head ruined it by grinding it too much...so good old George, not thinking nothing about the future of his axe, went and found a used axe head that was already sharpened and bought a new handle and went and used that old " original wedge" to put it all back together again....so is it still the original axe???? I live in a historic town in Penna. very near where George once roamed...if I find this exact axe...what is it worth??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least in this case you still have an axe that George Washington owned. What if George tied a little tag on his axe with his name on it and you bought it? And then later on the handle rotted and the head rusted and pitted real bad, so you bought a new axe and moved that name tag over - now THAT would be a rebody!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever notice that EVERY year for a week after the B-J auction ends there are countless threads noting many examples of deception, fraud, and outright lies? Yet people still have the guts to say that B-J "sets the tone" for prices for the upcoming year...In my opinion B-J is nothing more than a big joke, a car show at best, and less "real" than pro-wrestling....has been for years. I'd also bet most of the "well bought" cars weren't actually bought at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that!! I hardly watched any of the auction this year.. A little bit on Saturday nite. After about an hours worth I was nauseated and had to turn it off. One guy that really bugs me there is Craig Jackson's little crony that has the slicked back hair and always wears the dark sunglasses. Did anyone ever tell that guy that he can take his "JOE COOL" shades off inside the tent!! What an arrogant idiot.. He can loose the hair style too, that went out years ago!!

Rich
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM

I liked hearing Craig say how much of a deal the ZL1 was. I kept yelling at the TV, "If its such a deal then buy it Craig!". Its TV, supposed to be entertaining right?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 AM

Reggie's reputation is taking a big hit. He makes a lot of money for just having owned certain cars but now he's playing fast and loose with his reputation.

Example: There is an article in the Feb.'08 Chevy Rumble called 'History in the Making'. The writer recounts Walden and Harrell's early problems with the ZL1 aluminum blocks. The story the writer tells is far from the one I heard straight from one of he horse's mouth. Do the facts matter anymore?

After watching Reggie yesterday I thought back to what this writer claims happened to Lamar Walden's first aluminum block. According to him the regional service mgr. came by to haul the "warranty block" away but then decided he didn't want to get his trunk dirty. So instead of returning the block to GM (I would think the engineers would want to inspect the damage, especially on a new engine design) he decided to just take a big hammer and break away the portion of the block with the serial number on it. Pardon me, but I smell bullshit.

Maybe somebody can link the article if some of you want to read it. I'm not accusing anybody of anything but this story just seems to work out a little to well for all parties involved! And Reggie actually helping rebuild the engine???

I hope big money and greed don't totally ruin our hobby.