Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Barrett Jackson COPO Camaro

Darren, look for a CE 854 Block for your 70 L78 resto if your orig is gone.A warranty replacement block is the best you can do w/o the orig. SULLY
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 AM

Here's a question for you judges - how would judge a car with the correct factory stamped/casted engine codes (cast date, assem date, eng. suffix) BUT the motor was declared by the owner as not the original one? The added tangent is that there is no VIN stamped on the block.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is the general thought on the proper way to restore a car that no longer has its original motor, trans or etc..

Do you just get a part that is cast correctly and ignore build stamps and VIN? Or just stamp the build stamp and leave the VIN off? Curious as I am building my motor now for my 70 L78.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darren, do what I did. Leave it alone. Leave both the original stamps. Maybe one day the original car to the engine will come along. It will be a dilema for me to give it up.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 PM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Hylton, the car could easily Top Flight with that engine at an NCRS event providing the other areas of the car were Top Flight worthy. I believe that the point loss would be 37 out of 6,500 points, very small deduction. Even if the car had no stamping but the casting number and casting date were correct the point deduction would be minimal. Bloomington would "box" the car, or not allow it reveice a Gold under any conditions.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 PM

F**k the market. That's what got us into this mess - people restoring these cars to make a buck instead of restoring them because they love them.

I agree, the best way to enjoy a Muscle Car is to buy it with your little head.

Remember when you were 18 and you saw the car parked at the gas station for sale, whether it was a 454 Chevelle, Boss Mustang or a Six Pack Super Bee? It probably had a bit of rust on it, maybe even a quickie fresh paint, well worn seats, on its third or fourth motor and some shiny Cragars.

Did any of the Numbers matter??? Definitely not. I still try to buy them the same way, if they get me excited, I want!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanked 4,515 Times in 2,144 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

"...Here's a question for you judges - how would judge a car with the correct factory stamped/casted engine codes (cast date, assem date, eng. suffix) BUT the motor was declared by the owner as not the original one? The added tangent is that there is no VIN stamped on the block..."

Hylton, the car could easily Top Flight with that engine at an NCRS event providing the other areas of the car were Top Flight worthy. I believe that the point loss would be 37 out of 6,500 points, very small deduction. Even if the car had no stamping but the casting number and casting date were correct the point deduction would be minimal. Bloomington would "box" the car, or not allow it reveice a Gold under any conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

To add to this hypothetical situation, if the owner did not declare the engine as non-original and the car wasn't previously known/recorded in any databases, would there be consideration of this being a factory mistake/missed Vin stamping?.
And if so would there still be point deductions at an NCRS event and Bloomington boxing the car?.

Also what point deductions differences are there for perfect in all respects 'restoration engines'...admitted and non-admitted as such w/ again the car not being previously known/recorded in any databases?.

~ Pete

--------------------
I like real cars best...the REAL real ones!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

NCRS will accept a car without its original engine, for example if an engine out of another '67 Corvette is installed, it could pass. One person brought a '66 Corvette with an engine out of a car about 100 cars later. No problem, Top Flight honors were awarded. The owner even wrote an article for The Restorer magazine and the title was "Top Flight without the original engine". I think NCRS believes that a car doesn't have to have an original engine to achieve top honors. A CE engine with a correct casting date and casting number would work great. This car would be at about 98% before any other judging began. It could still Top Flight with a 94% if is't a decent car.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:45 AM

As a recap man from East Moline,IL Mike M partnered with Tom R to buy the "clone" #27 ZL-1 at B/J 2009.

Mike M told me in Jan 09, after the auction and all that ensued that he was going to have local (to him) well known restorer check out misc firewall and cowl VIN numbers on #27.

Phone call that I made today 1/7/2010 my source claims that nothing was removed from car and no numbers were ever checked.
Mike M is no longer partner in car and I believe Tom R owns car outright.

I have digitized more old print pics. Below shows (2nd from top, all one color) Candy Red Camaro at Tacoma Dome Car Show. This is SAME car as Multi Colered drag car that I built from ZL-1 body, chassis, trim parts. This all red 69 Camaro is still in WA state and has a different VIN and title as #27 VIN tag and title was sold to "cloner" to build the current Fathom Green #27.

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 AM

Chuck, Have you talked to the guy who bought the race car you built with #27 VIN? I would like to know how this guy marketed a VIN plate with title?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 AM

I sold the multi colored C/SM drag car to Alan Martin Chevrolet, Bremerton,WA around 1982. Alan never did much if anything with the car. Several people in the same general area have owned the car after Alan Martin. I cant honestly say who ownes the (ALL Red repainted) car now. I also am not sure who exactly re-removed and sold the #27 VIN and sold it to cloner with title.
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"