Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar Features

Old 04-19-2005, 06:50 PM

Default May '05 Feature Car

<p align="center"><font size="6">May 2005 Feature Car:</font></p><p align="center"><font size="5">George Lyons' 1969 Yenko Chevelle</font></p><table width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td align="middle" width="100%"><p align="center"><font color="#000000">Specs:</font></p></td></tr></tbody></table><table borderColor="#000000" height="150" width="100%" border="0"><tbody><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Engine (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">L72 427/425hp</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Transmission (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">M-21 4-speed</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Rear (factory):</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">4.10 posi</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Selling Dealer:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Options:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">COPO 9562 &amp; 9737</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Exterior color:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Butternut Yellow</font></td></tr><tr><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Interior color:</font></td><td vAlign="top" align="center" width="50%" height="21"><font size="3" color="#000000">Black standard</font></td></tr></tbody></table>

<font color="black"> "I sit down to write this story on my Yenko Chevelle and realize that it has been 15 years since I found this car and restored it back in 1989-1990. I have been heavily involved in the car hobby all of my adult life (all of my life if AMT 3 in 1 kits count) and early Corvettes were my passion for a long time. I had bought, sold, repaired, restored, parted-out, raced and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the Corvette hobby, including a long term position as chief judge/53-62 for Bloomington Gold. I was also involved from the onset with Dave Burroughs, Chip Miller, Ken Heckert and a few others in discussions on the importance of recognizing unrestored original cars which led to the formation of "Survivor" judging at Bloomington. Nevertheless, I was growing bored with Corvette restoration and decided I would search out a rare and exciting Chevrolet musclecar of the sixties to do a "Bloominigton style" restoration. I didn't really know what it would be but was thinking COPO, Yenko, Z-16 or something along those lines. Along comes Hemmings, spring 1989, and I see a short ad for a 1969 Yenko 427 Chevelle, Dark Green, needs restored. I don't act quickly (hell, he was asking $20k) but I do call a week or so later only to have the gentleman tell me "sorry, the car has been sold". I quickly say Thank You and go to put down the phone when I hear him say " hey wait, would you want to hear about a Butternut Yellow one a buddy of mine just found?" Of course I said yes and there it began. The guy with the green car for sale was Mick Price of Illinois and his friend with the Yellow car was Mitch Moore of Kentucky. I quickly discovered these were two people who knew a lot about these cars and didn't know this car search would lead to two great new valued friendships. A few initial phone calls on the Yellow car and I gassed up the hauler and headed for Kentucky. The car was just as described, pretty much all there, running and driving car, poor paint, basically solid body, ratty interior but she was "all restored from the minute I saw her". I bought the car knowing the original motor was gone but there was a remote chance it could be tracked down in a town in Colorado where Mitch found the car and where it migrated with the original owners brother, I was told. A call to Vince Emme verified exactly what Mitch told me; Butternut Yellow, no vinyl top, bucket seat 4speed car sold new at Mishawaka-Gates Chevrolet in Indiana and up to that point an undiscovered car. Mick, Mitch and Vince each had a phone number I memorized as I began my quest to learn all I could about these fascinating cars. They were an immense help and gave me their time whenever I called and it was often. Something very interesting occurred just a few months after I bought the car and began a total restoration. The original owner of this Chevelle called Vince Emme to ask about a Camaro he was looking at and in that conversation mentioned he purchased a Yenko Chevelle new in 1969. Vince questioned if he knew the VIN, he did, and Vince put the two of us in touch. Wow, was I shocked to get that call, super nice guy who sent me paperwork from his original purchase at Gates and 1969 dated Kodak pictures of the car in his moms driveway. He filled in lots of missing history on the car and verified it was true that his brother was the second owner and the car did still have the original motor when it went to Colorado. I continued with my restoration including the installation of a correct casting and dated block, not holding out much hope on the original motor as I had too often failed in these elusive searches in far away lands. It was a fun restoration and just 15 years ago it was no problem doing this car with all NOS trim and very little repo stuff was out there for a '69 Chevelle. I also did the car in Acrylic Lacquer. First showing was the Chevelle Showdown in Columbus, Ohio and later on to Super Chevy Indy where the original owner showed up and stayed with the car for two days. It was great and the years 1990-1991 saw magazine features on the car in a number of publications. Once the car was done and out quite a few times I tucked it back in the garage and never really gave the search for the original motor much thought. Then in 1994 the call came from Mitch Moore, the guy I bought the car from and now my very good friend. His buddy that found the car in Colorado called to say the motor was being offered for sale by a guy who was very clear on what he had and thought if he could get connected with me he could probably alter my net worth considerably. Without dragging this out, he did have it, perfect pad stamping, good usable bare block but the price was shocking. He had one potential buyer at that level of price-me. I paid up and never looked back. The deal did go off without a hitch. Motor is in my garage and will go back in at some point but other projects make it hard to tear back into a finished and detailed car. I have greatly enjoyed owning this car and the bonus of a couple good close friends I likely would have never met if this car didn't come my way. Please let me know if I can answer any questions about the car and Thank You for the opportunity to share my story. I really enjoy the stories on these cars as much as the cars themselves."

George Lyons
Erie, Pa.
April, 2005
</font>

<p align="center">

</p>
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 138889-69Mach1FrontshotE.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: May '05 Feature Car

George,

Impressive automobile. Thanks for sharing.

Sam

Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 AM

George, Great looking car and great story.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Love those Butternut Yellow Yenkos.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:56 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

George,

Such a cool car! When my Chevelle grows up, it wants to be a Yenko...or a Nickey for that matter!

Thanks for the great story. There's nothing like a muscle car(especially a "Super Car") to make you feel 18 again!

[ QUOTE ]
1969 dated Kodak pictures of the car in his moms driveway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you share some of the old photos, too? BTW, thanks for the Dill caps!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:15 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy the stories on these cars as much as the cars themselves

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes two of us, and in this case both the story and the car are outstanding

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 AM

Great story!
Stunning Car!
Thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:13 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

What a great story,on a fabulous Chevelle.
Ok I'm jealous.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:58 AM

Awesome car and story!
Old 05-04-2005, 06:08 AM

Ahh, Butternut Yellow. Goes well with that Chevy Orange L72. I like those silver-spoked mags.