Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1967 Chevelle SS Project

I'm a long time lurker here and finally decided to post something of my own that some of you may find interesting. I will try and shorten up this long story as much as possible. A few years back, I found a pretty nice original 1967 Chevelle SS near Seattle, Washington. The car was sold new in Seattle and passed through a few local hands before I got a hold of it. It was an original paint, interior, engine, transmission, rear etc. car. Turquoise with turquoise, black vinyl top, 325 Horse/powerglide car. I really enjoyed just cleaning and performing maintenance task on the car as it was a bit neglected. I resisted the urge to paint or change anything. Things like the original dirty carpet were cleaned and the torn drivers seat was left intact. The change from stock I did do was 15x7 and 15x8 steel wheels. The original 14x6 6A3 wheels were on the car when I sold it. The entire time I owned the car, I wished that it was a non vinyl top and 4 speed car. I was in the middle of a career change and getting married so, I decided to sell the car. It went to the owner of The Roadster Shop in Illinois.

Well, about 2 years ago I started getting the itch to dive into another project. My 68 Chevelle has been "done" for a few years and I was not use to not having a project. I've always had some sort of car or truck restoration going on and had the itch for a full restoration. I posted a wanted add on craigslist for a 1967 Chevelle SS project. Some of the requirements were it had to be an original car with a 4 speed and it had to have a non black interior. When I was younger all my cars had to have a black interior, now that I'm older its completely the opposite. I like all the funky 60's-70's colors. I had a few hits when a promising one came in from the Phoenix area. The wife and I hopped on a plane and flew down to Phoenix in the middle of summer. We took a drive out to this gentlemans house not too far from the airport. It was about 115 degrees out so, needless to say my wife stayed in the car! It was love at first sight. I did not know cars still existed out there like this one. The gentleman I bought it from first saw the car sitting outside the original owners house across the street from his now wifes house when picking her up for their first date. They were going to go watch Top Gun! He started walking across the street to ask if the Chevelle was for sale when the original owner yelled at him several expletives and to get away! Over the years, the two got to know eachother and in 2008 the original owner was very sick with terminal cancer. He decided to sell the car. The gentleman I got the car from was lucky enough to collect several pieces of original paperwork that survived much better than the car! He brought the car home and stuffed it in the side yard of a rental property where it sat until I bought it. We made a deal on the car and I flew back later on to meet up with my dad/brother and his truck/trailer as they live in Southern California. It felt strange as we left Arizona as the car had never been out of the Phoenix area. I eventually had it shipped up to my home in Washington State.

This is a pretty base SS car. No factory gauges or tach. 325 horse. It does have power steering and the full wheel covers. The engine, transmission, rear are all numbers matching. Original carburetor, radiator, exhaust manifolds (has the smog conversion as it was built in Fremont and sold new in Arizona). I love that it is a 4 speed bench seat car. I prefer that over buckets/console anyday. It was built the third week of March and I was born March 20th, it was meant to be.

I've been slowly gathering parts for the car. Restored turquoise seat belts, spiral shocks, etc. I have a few things I have not decided on. For instance, I bought the 4 piston 1967 GM disc brake kit from inline tube when the had it in stock and on sale last black friday. They do not make the kit anymore due to the cost of the calipers. I also picked up an entire 4 piston 1967 disc brake kit removed from a 1967 Chevelle in the 1980's. Now I'm thinking I will stay with the drum brakes as I do not want to start modifying the car with things it did not come with. Even though I love dog dish caps, I will run the car with full wheel covers as that is what is on the sales order. I also initially wanted to add a blinker tach, tilt and gauges but, I think I'm moving away from that. The next big hurdle I have is finding 5 Norris Technologies 14x6 wheels as they are all missing. The car also does have some rust issues even though it never left the Phoenix area. The front and rear windows were broken and the front dash area and rear window channel rusted out. The trunk and lower quarters then rusted out. the floors are immaculate. Zero rust in the floors. Anyway, enjoy the pictures.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:
67since67 (12-28-2020), big gear head (12-28-2020), dykstra (12-30-2020), L_e_e (12-28-2020), markinnaples (12-28-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_9472.jpg IMG_4543.JPG IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0780.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-28-2020, 06:51 AM

Default Documents

Here are some pictures of the paperwork. I'm surprised the paperwork was kept so pristine as the car was neglected. The last registration is from 1978/79. Someone removed the radiator hoses and the valve covers/air cleaner were in the trunk. I'm guessing something is wrong with the engine and they were planning on pulling it but, never did.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:
67since67 (12-29-2020), bobm67 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Cool!
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 AM

Default My first turquoise 67

My first turquoise 67'
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oliver For This Useful Post:
67since67 (12-28-2020), 69M22Z (12-28-2020), big gear head (12-28-2020), Crush (12-28-2020), DaveC68 (12-28-2020), dykstra (12-30-2020), earntaz (12-28-2020), markinnaples (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 02:09 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Very cool! Welcome to the best site on the net!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:50 PM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

I also had a '67 SS 396 with a Powerglide. It's the car that I had when I was dating my wife. I loved the car, except for the Powerglide. I wanted a 4 speed so bad that I traded the Chevelle for the '69 Camaro that I now have, just because the Camaro had a 4 speed. I would love to have a car like yours. I like the way you are going with this one.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,346 Posts

Damn shame someone left it neglected with windows broken out.
The amount of rust you mention and the corrosion on the trim tag are curious. The trim tag appears to have seen salt. It must have spent, at least, a few years in Seattle or along the west coast, before going to AZ.
Either way, it is still much better than most project cars around.
Emerald Turquoise is a beautiful color and with matching interior will be a stand out.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 12-29-2020, 12:06 AM

Thanked 3,932 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
It must have spent, at least, a few years in Seattle or along the west coast, before going to AZ.
The docs indicate it was sold new in Mesa AZ and spent it's life the Phoenix area.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:41 AM

Thanked 3,932 Times in 949 Posts

Congrats on a great find!! Welcome to SYC.
Interesting car, cool (no pun intended!) that it has the optional HD radiator and no-cost option of white stripes on the F70 tires. Also like your plan to use the seldom seen now full wheel covers and keep everything as delivered!
The EH engine code and listing the 3 row radiator on the sales order as an option suggests it was one of those cases where Fremont removed the smog equipment for delivery to a dealer outside of CA.
Emerald turquoise is a beautiful color, please post up progress and more pix!! Good Luck!

Bill W
Old 12-29-2020, 12:47 AM

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts

Great car! Reminds me of the cars we could still buy in the LA area in the late 1990s, back when I was in college out there.

I wouldn’t sweat a disc brake conversion - shouldn’t affect value. I’m contemplating the same on my ‘68 L78 Camaro.

Good luck,
Tony