Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-30-2023, 01:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts
Default 68 El Camino Radiator and Oil Cooler

Getting ready to do work on the El Camino.

Three issues:

1. Need a bigger radiator.
2. Want to add an oil cooler.
3. Need to lower the max oil pressure.

Engine: 350 bored .030. 10:1 compression, 186 heads with 1.94 intake valves. Roller cam with Morel lifters. Stock cast iron intake and Q-jet. Engine was built for torque; not high rpm.
Trans: 4L60E with stand alone controller.
Rear: 12bolt, 3:31

Radiator.
When I built this engine a few years ago, I ditched the original radiator (original 307 PG) in favor of a big tube plastic aluminum radiator. It is a factory A/C car, so the radiator is wider than the non A/C version. I use the trans cooler, but also have a supplemental cooler plumbed in with it.

I want to keep my factory style clutch fan and shroud set up. The only problem with the current radiator is it just isn't quite big enough. Runs too hot in 100 plus temps OR if I am hauling a big load on my car trailer. I think it is single one inch tubes.

I am fine with another plastic tank, aluminum core radiator. I just don't know what to order to make sure I get one with enough cooling capacity. Can I order for a big block? Do I just need to verify core size and car fitment? Would like to avoid sending parts back that don't fit.

Second issue: Oil cooler.
I have never installed an aftermarket oil cooler. What is simple, relatively inexpensive, easy to install, and will allow me to use the same oil filter I am currently using?

Third: lower oil pressure
When I start this engine cold, the oil pressure exceeds 80 to 85 psi. I specifically ordered a "high volume" oil pump, but not "high pressure". Pretty sure it is a Melling pump. I know I can cut down the spring; but how many coils do I cut off. Would like the oil pressure to max at 60 psi cold.

Any help appreciated
Old 06-30-2023, 04:18 PM

Thanked 136,490 Times in 22,778 Posts

Lynn:

This is the easiest way to add an oil cooler to a SBC - called a Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapter Plate

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-...block-305-350/

You can buy a kit that includes the adapter, cooler and lines. Just use Google.
Old 07-01-2023, 02:23 PM

Lynn:

I have a question for you:

How will adding an oil cooler affect oil pressure? You will need to add oil for the lines and the cooler. Would that drop the pressure a bit?
Old 07-01-2023, 02:38 PM

Shouldn't have any significant affect on oil pressure. Two separate issues. Plan to address the oil pressure issue separately with EITHER a different pump OR by modifying or changing the relief pressure spring.

Want an oil cooler for long trips towing. Read a story about Chevy prepping a 283 back in the 60s so it could pass German certification (forget the standard) to be driven on the Autobahn. First try was unsuccessful. They added an external oil cooler (with no other changes) and it passed.

My Euro spec 745i has on oil cooler. So does my son's Euro spec 635CSi.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:14 PM

What about a trans cooler? Is it currently attached to the radiator?
Old 07-01-2023, 07:48 PM

Trans cooler is plumbed in line, so I am using both the radiator cooler and the external cooler. Works fine, even though the radiator itself is a bit undersized. I plan to continue using the same set up.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:24 PM

Ended up plumbing in a Derale thermostatically controlled oil cooler. Didn't want one without control as you can get the oil too cool when temps are below freezing.

Bought this radiator: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0932HHFYZ...roduct_details

It is made in China, but fit and finish is really nice. It is a true four row core.
The only mod I had to make was to the two small pads on the top retainer. The tanks are a lot bigger on this one than the one I had in it. Had to elongate the slots.
Easy. Curiously, the bottom pads were fine, as the slots were already a lot longer than the ones on the top. My water pump had started leaking slightly out the weep hole, so did the radiator and WP at the same time. Did this Sunday nite after getting the Corvette body off the frame.

Only odd thing was it came with a 19 lb. cap. I tested it with my old Stant tester, and sure enough, it pegged. I went ahead and used the 15 lb. cap from the old radiator.

Anyone need a free aluminum / plastic radiator that fits a 68 El Camino. It never overheated even on a 100 degree day UNLESS I was towing. Single row one inch tubes.

Will list it on the pay it forward ads.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:24 PM

Couple of questions.

Apparently a lot of the new radiators come with 19# caps. How do you feel about that?
I have not doubt the radiator can handle it. The 1968 WP was designed for 15#. Is it safe at 19? I think hoses are fine if quality and in good shape.

My biggest concern is the 56 year old heater core. I HATE replacing heater cores in these old cars. I just don't see a downside of running a 15# cap, so that is what I am doing for now.

On another note, there is a really slick way to ad a coolant recovery system on first gen Camaros. https://www.camaros.net/threads/addi...w-tank.469033/

I bought one of those and will be installing on my Z.

Is there something comparable for the 60's Chevelle / El Camino?

The Nova tank will not fit on the El Camino. I already tried. To complicate things, mine has factory A/C, so not as much room under the fender next to the battery.

Anyone deal with this?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:20 PM

Might be new engineering running modern engines at 205* and adding pressure aids in their ability to hold that constant.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:28 PM

I think you are correct. Just don't know that I want to run 19 psi on an old car with the original heater core. I am planning on a 195 degree T-stat.