Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Vinyl!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenney For This Useful Post:
billj (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I was just notified that Autoweek was no longer going to offer their print magazine. I have subscribed to it since it was called Autoweek and Competition Press back in the early to mid 1970's. They did move my subscription balance left over to my Road and Track subscription and extended it. I'm never going to go on-line to read a magazine or newspaper. I guess I'm an old goat, and I admit I'm very resistant to change.
The Following User Says Thank You to danachevroletfor1967 For This Useful Post:
olredalert (12-08-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:33 PM

No one read them online. That might show them. Magazines are more than reading, you can collect them. Hot Rod is garbage. It needs to go.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 PM

My first ever car magazine purchase was Car Craft in 1967 at Parkdale Pharmacy.
Really going to miss MCR,always saved it for inflight reading.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Unhappy

Very sad to hear.I always looked forward to buying the latest issue at the news stand.I always kept my old issues.Bob
Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 PM

I have (had?) a 3-year auto-renewing print copy sub to MCR..... thanks for posting this.
Just can't switch to digital copies, need the tactility of reading the printed version..... same with books; got to be able to hold it and physically turn the pages.
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZLP955 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Here’s a few things to think about on the subject;

Does it stink? Yep. But as others have said, it’s definitely not expected, I’m afraid. Parent company was bankrupt, they reorganize and what do they do? Stop the bleeding. It’s a fact that periodicals in general, regardless of the denomination, are doomed. It’s just the wave of the future. As generations change and technology moves forward, you move off the past to capture new markets and be profitable. Do you embrace the future? That’s for you to decide.

I still do crosswords from the newspaper and yet when I look around at the people next to me when I’m sitting in seat 132Q, all I see is phones, pads, kindles, nooks, whatever have you, being typed on and stared at. As I walk to the back to fax something to the Chief Pilot via the lavatory blue juice courtesy of the $18 “Yokohama Beef Bowl” I purchased a few minutes earlier, I may see one or two of my fellow mammals enjoying the printed versions of these electronic glass machines. But is it all bad? Is it really that much of a problem to embrace newer technology that still contains the articles we enjoy so much? Or is it just change and we “frump bah-humbug!” just because we don’t know how to use it? Add to this my comment about a fax. Welcome to email!

Remember Model As? They were cool when new. No more heading to the Dentist to get your remaining tooth pulled due to inept dental hygiene products while your horse took a dump on you right before you get to your appointment. No, no....you were stylin’ now!! Semi enclosed glass cockpit, 22 mph, a hydraulic brake (read, one brake), and a steering wheel with everything on it but a turn signal. Think that guy was complaining about how this new fangled technology confused him and he missed the aroma of various gases emitted from the business end of old Thunder? Possibly. Fast forward just thirty years from that and you were headed to the dentist for just a scheduled cleaning with a mouth full of healthy teeth in a car that was floating on four cushy air filled tires, 4 wheel power brakes, and a host of other options only thought available to you in Sci-Fi movies. Was that guy too missing his distributor dwell on his steering wheel to play with?

I don’t like the online mags either, to be honest. Especially pop up ads and all that. But it sure is handy to search stuff, keep it readily available to find at just a type of a word instead of “Oh, Geeze, where was that article about that engine build they were doing in 1989?? I think that was by Gummy Joe, or was it Jahoozifats? I can’t remember right now. Was that in the box in the attic, closet, garage...crap!!!

It’s the future and the more of us that say “Forget it! I won’t buy that subscription online! That’ll show ‘em!” could result in our voices from our hobby genre dwindling and even the online stuff scaling back. Maybe try a subscription for a year and give it a go. As me pappy always told me, “Daveyboy, yer a real schmuck, but you sure can whirlie a good read to make ye’ think. Now Gimmie that belt!”

Cheers

Super Davey
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
L72COPO (12-08-2019), scuncio (12-07-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 AM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post

Remember Model As? They were cool when new. No more heading to the Dentist to get your remaining tooth pulled due to inept dental hygiene products while your horse took a dump on you right before you get to your appointment. No, no....you were stylin’ now!! Semi enclosed glass cockpit, 22 mph, a hydraulic brake (read, one brake), and a steering wheel with everything on it but a turn signal.
Model A Fords had mechanical brakes.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-08-2019 at 12:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
seventieshow (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 01:37 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

mmmmmmm.....good catch Keith!

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-08-2019, 01:39 AM

Things may have changed since I last looked into this, but my understanding of digital publications is that you need to maintain a paid-up subscription to access any content, so if (for whatever reason) you don't renew, you can't look at editions that were released when you were a paying subscriber.
When I buy a print copy, that's mine for as long as I choose to keep it.
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZLP955 For This Useful Post:
Damien (12-09-2019)