Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 2004 Mercedes SL500 Convert

From what I understand, a knowledgeable dealer can determine if the car has the infected radiator based on whether the car's vin number falls into a specific range. Also, a knowledgeable dealer can visually tell the difference between a Valeo vs. a Behr radiator.

Mercedes actually sells a test kit to the dealers with very specific instruction on how to take a sample of the trans fluid and test for the presence of glycol. If present, the ppm will generally dictate the level of repair necessary to correct the trans symptoms.

Ask me how I know I really like my Benz, but when something goes wrong..... it's expensive!
Attached Images

67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-12-2009, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I understand, a knowledgeable dealer can determine if the car has the infected radiator based on whether the car's vin number falls into a specific range. Also, a knowledgeable dealer can visually tell the difference between a Valeo vs. a Behr radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Mercedes-Benz Dealer can see the full History (FDOC or VDOC) of the car. But only when the car was by a MB Dealer for Service and Repair!

[ QUOTE ]

Ask me how I know I really like my Benz, but when something goes wrong..... it's expensive!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir, thats damn right

www.estrada-armory.com
Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM

No luck on finding out the radiator in the car, but I did drop the reserve $1,000 to compensate.

-Dan
Old 11-17-2009, 02:21 AM

I wouldn't drop the reserve over a 'what if' radiator possibility! Its just something to be aware of, that's all.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't drop the reserve over a 'what if' radiator possibility! Its just something to be aware of, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a nice guy.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 AM

Marlin:

After commenting about how it appeared over-priced (not being an AMG or a bi-turbo) and then the potential radiator problems, you got me to quit bidding. Now you don't understand why he would drop the reserve? I guess I do, Ed
Old 11-17-2009, 03:19 AM

Just took note of this ad and there are several issues to note here folks... In the ebay ad it states the car is being listed for a friend? Dan, is this your car or not? And Marlin/others... see rule #4 below:

4. The satisfaction guarantee remains in effect, and should be much easier to monitor with ALL ads being placed by members only.

Simply stated, the Classifeds Section is intended for use by sYc members in good standing, to sell their cars or parts to other sYc members. It's not a discussion forum, so please don't use it as such... If you have a question about an car or part, PM the seller, don't post it in the ad, as this not only takes up space, but also bumps the ad over other member's ads. Refrain from posting things such as "Nice car", "good luck with the sale", or other comments that also just serve to bump an ad to the top of the list.

I've been pretty much leaving ad comments alone for awhile as long as nothing got out of hand, particularly in threads with alot of "nice car" bumps and the like..but this one seems to be pushing the outer envelope of what we can let slide. I'm reading this now and wondering if it should have ever been listed here at all.

With a full page of posts and 14 hours left in the auction I guess I'm a little late to the party, but in the future let's all try to respect the classified rules a bit better. -JB

Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marlin:

After commenting about how it appeared over-priced (not being an AMG or a bi-turbo) and then the potential radiator problems, you got me to quit bidding. Now you don't understand why he would drop the reserve? I guess I do, Ed

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Gents,

The reserve was dropped for no other reason than I felt like dropping the price of the car. Lets be serious here... The radiator has never been an issue. Not once. Rest assured Ed, you're bidding on a number one condition used Mercedes not a basket of issues.

Marlin, thanks for your support. You posted great information for those who were unaware of the issue but it seems like your direction of the post was underlined with negativity. First the car is over priced and then it could have a radiator that will blow up the drivetrain? Are you an interested buyer? Are you a Mercedes certified mechanic? Did you want to inform buyers or scare them away? If I'm misinterpreting your direction, let me know but your posts do a lot of explaining otherwise.

PM sent Joe.

Best,
Dan
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM

Com'on guys... take the VIN and ask the friendly MB Dealer in your area for any recall campaings in the past.

Then you will see what happend to the car.

And the Dealer can tell you what kind of radiator are mounted.

It's a R230... not a KIA...

www.estrada-armory.com
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Com'on guys... take the VIN and ask the friendly MB Dealer in your area for any recall campaings in the past.

Then you will see what happend to the car.

And the Dealer can tell you what kind of radiator are mounted.

It's a R230... not a KIA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I just got off the phone with my local MB dealer the guy could not tell me any information. I finally got a call back and the service rep was uninterested in my request. Time to hit Google...

Edit: I just called two dealers. The service rep said and I quote... "there is no way for me to find out what radiator is in the car by vin number." Who can I trust?

-Dan