Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: VITAR COPO protecto plate on eBay

Probably would not add much value since it is already a known copo and also a race car. It would be nice for the owner of the car to get it fov a reasonable price.
69 L78 Nova
69 L34 Nova
67 SS Chevelle
73 Trans Am
Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MosportGreen66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate the idea of purchasing documentation from prior owners - the principle makes me sick... documentation held hostage from the car purely for $. Being said, I have paid for the original documentation in two different instances for two different of my cars. It is a part of the hobby. I hope seller/buyer here can come to a price point that unites the paper with the car! </div></div>

He is not a prior owner of the car. It was with paperwork for another car that he owned.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM

On certain corvettes paperwork, adds 1/3 of the value like on L-88's for instance!!
Cant see how the paper work at 5k is crazy, if it were my car I would pay that price in a second!!!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

I agree, it is a shame when items are used as a hostage especially when a car is in a private collection. However and that being said, if a car is being put together for the sole purpose of reselling it (which people will seldom admit to when you are helping them out) for a nice profit then it is only fair that the supplier of such material that helps make the car that much more valuable only share in the profits. I know of one such person who helped the owner of a very rare car. He supplied the owner with a ton of documentation, photographs, historical information, previous owner information, time, etc only to watch the car sell for a HUGE profit and a record sale at that only to receive nothing from the owner/seller in the end other than a thank you. THAT made me sick especially considering the amount of time the individual spent helping the owner out. I too have helped many people with documentation, photos, technical advice, etc only to see a car sell for huge profits and never get anything more than a thank you. I only have myself to blame since I don't ask for it up front and only assume that people would offer after the car sells but I certainly can understand selling documentation that has been found that will greatly increase the value of a car. In some cases I have made deals where I supply the material with the agreement that I share a percentage of the profits in the end albeit a very small percentage. A gamble for both parties but a win/win for both if it sells for good profits. Only problem there is you are once again relying on the honor system. j/m/o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 03-29-2016, 03:48 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is not a prior owner of the car. It was with paperwork for another car that he owned. </div></div>

Pardon... I'm in Europe on business and did not have a moment to read the full eBay ad. I gather the seller is trying to reunited the POP with the car but being said, what's stopping someone who doesn't own the car from clicking the BIN? I commend his effort but the price would not preclude outsiders from being interested in it?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:03 PM

What a Kool find all these years later. Nice to see that the POP survived.

I spoke to Vinny about the car before he passed. Nice guy and he confirmed the selling dealer and told me the story of ordering the car and driving it back to his shop to to start hopping it up.

I purchased a Z28 from Dr. Kim's estate a while back and Jeff Chlpusa found a copy of a POP imprint in one of the Camaro books he purchased out of the estate. He charged me Zero for his help as well as the document. We were able to confirm the car by finding the original owner, based on just a copy of that imprint.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:13 PM

For the owner of the car, having the ad of the pop is documentation in itself.

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 03-29-2016, 07:24 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the427king</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the owner of the car, having the ad of the pop is documentation in itself. </div></div>

That is very true. I would negotiate with the guy with the protecto plate, splitting the difference in the value gain.

I would pitch the after tax gain down the road of $10K, play up you have a tax liability for a gain at an auction. Get the guy down to ~1/3 split considering you got the car, he has the doc. I can see getting this protecto plate for $3K in cash, especially since he posted very nice pics on ebay, which hurt is negotiating position some.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:51 AM

I have that same envelope from H.M.Williams. The second owner dropped it off at my house a couple of years ago after I contacted him trying to find the original owner. Unfortunately, the P-O-P was not in the envelope! He is still looking around for it. Very cool piece. If it was my car,I would probably sell a body part and buy it.
Buddy
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new
Old 03-30-2016, 11:55 AM

I just reunited a 66 Impala SS396 with it's original protectoplate. Sold it to the current owner for a very reasonable price. He was happy to get it. I made a little of it. Nice to finally match one to a car!