Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-09-2000, 02:29 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts
Default 1968 Yenko Camaro in magazine

There is a small picture of a 1968 Yenko Camaro in the Sep. 2000 issue of Super Chevy Mag. The caption says that rumors have it the car is a low mileage, never registered and never restored Yenko. The picture was taken at a show in Memphis. Does anyone know it this is true or have anymore info on this car? Sounds like an interesting story but the magazine didn't have much info on it.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-17-2000, 01:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1968 Yenko Camaro in magazine

Joe, There was a very similar 68 Yenko Camaro for sale at the Auto Palace in Pittsburgh about 5 years ago. This car had a interesting background. It seams tha someone restored the car for this particular gentleman. The car was Rallye Green but the restorer sprayed it a dark green by mistake. Some trouble over the car was made and somehow in ended up at a Pittsburgh dealer.The car seemd very sound but had an incorrect 69 drivetrain. Then the car was sold and went to some collectors in Florida. It was on a calender a few years back and made the rounds at the shows down south. I am not sure if this is the same car, but it looks similar. If it is the same car it was far from unrestored and was a known car. At least by me.. It was still a very nice car with the mistakes. I have not heard of what had become of this car lately. This might help, or cause more confusion!
BKH

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

I can clear up the mysteryof the car in the last post. Its the same car as the dec. 2004 featured car ,on this site. camaro yenko #8016. as I am the original owner, Bought the car new from Jay Kline chev.minneapolis mn. I drove the car for app. 2 years on the street, sothe car has app. 22k miles on it. after that car was further modified and only driven at the track in the summer.wen car was new Ipulled out motor,and made it into bassicly atricked out L-88 app.700 h.p. times ran around 10.30 very fast for 1968.as to color, the restorer schmidt from n. dakota had the car painted wrong color, british racing green (old code #) later owner mike guarise had color corrected ralley green.(car still has app. 5 mistakes on the restoration) As for the drivetrain,I had the block replacd under warranty in 69, spun bearing, as my shift point was 8000 to 8500, lots of stress. car never lost arace at track or street (lake street mpls for those that remember) At time of restore drivetrain was original except for modifications. The car sold for 25k to 30k unrestored, I was offered the car after restore for app.120k I had to pass, the car listed for 4439.00 and I paid 3750.oo plus tax new.They were not good sellers new. To whoever the present owner is I still have all the original paperwork, window sticker sales contract, payment book 93.00 amonth 36 months.And would sell all to you plus 5 first place trophys.Found this site month ago and cant believe how many times that car has shown up, with totaly bad info.
1968 yenko camaros were the best lowest production,ss/rs trim,plate in doorjam,yenko. all had badges and pontaic wheels, all m21 4speeds,allglass hoods,all 4.10 rearends and only app.11 remaining, untill the one in lightblue iam working on is done.One of 6 that Jay kline sold that year. took me 4 years to find it, still in mpls. And only because I know the owners son and looked at old record for months. Anyway any questions on 68's please ask Bob krueger thanks

l
Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Great history on the car.
Trans was also replaced when I saw it in '02 - had a 010 (66-67) trans case in it, but with a 68 VIN on it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Still had the 5 MN Dragway stickers on the quarter window.

Are you working on YS8010? What's the color code?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 AM

Kurt S,HI there as for the tranny. I sold my brother the car in mid 1970,he then increased the H.P.,took all badges, emblems, spoilers, and hood off car and thew all away! the man , warren Johnson was one of the local speed guru's also redid the tranny at this time, and switched alot of parts around rebuilding it.Any way from then on he only raced on strip, He got the e,t,s down to around 10.60 with LARGE slicks on it. at that time traction was the main problem.not H.P.When I had the car we upped the H.P. to a little over 600, so he must have had app. 700?, with the tunnel ram and two 4;s.(refer to pictures on this site on feature cars,taken at northstar dragways) those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end. Who wrote that? thanks Bob krueger (my latest project is supposed to be secret) SSHHHH quiet. Bob.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Bob, can you show us pics of your latest project? When did you get the yenko tracked down and bought? Thanks,Roger
Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 AM

Roger, so much for, I will not tell any one! After buying a new 68 at kline chev. in mpls. minn.(yenko camaro)I found myself working there in the mid 70's. On a slow day I asked my boss and good friend, if Icould copy some sales records from past years,He said sure, as it was a fairly common way of propecting for new sales. What I did was pull the 2 box's from storage, and copy all the new camaros sold in 68.I copied over 200 purchase orders and invoices on 68 new camaros, many were big block ss or rs models, converts, and at least over 6 yenko camaros. when my boss saw what I was doing, he became my partner. After many years , hundreds of phone calls , a little over a year ago we found a 68 island teal yenko,that had been sitting sense 1974, last year tag on plate.all stock 46k miles, needed only some paint ,tires,gaskets, fluids. mech. perfect. It's in my partners garage in northern minn, getting the work done.So much for SECRETS!!!!! No I can't share the paperwork,it's only half mine as is the car. Still looking for more in the old copy's. thank's Bob Krueger p.s. if you run the vin# through the state, no results, they have long ago dropped off, as they have not had the year stickers kept up to date and are just sitting. Kline chev is long gone as is there paperwork from the 60's, should have got grossman chevs records from 69, asI could have.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Was it orig paint when you started painting on it ?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 AM

Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,002 Posts

Bob, per your request myself and Dana sent you something yesterday and I also sent you an email and am still waiting for a reply. Thank you.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations