Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 68 Yenko clone

No need to send me the magazine, we have it, as our DY '69 Yenko is on page 60 and our matching 2010 is on page 79.

As per the article, if you read the whole article you will see where the author Huw Evans contradicts himself in regards to the engine having solid or hydro lifters. I do not know Mr. Evans, but same as you, I would suggest he do his homework before writing about Yenko Camaros. As I re-read the magazine, and then your previous posts, I see you have been using this magazine for most, if not all of your reference material. Big mistake, as the article on the Yenko and the ZL-1 are a comedy of errors.

As happens more times then not, magazines seem to only get part of the information correct, so I rarely use them as reference, just for enjoyment.

As per facts, in front of me are a couple of very good reference books I would suggest you check out, one the COPO Connection by Ed Cunneen, that lists in detail how GM built the 1969 Yenko Camaro, taken from actual GM records, and the bible for high performance Chevrolet parts, including engines, Chevrolet By the Numbers by Alvin Colvin.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 AM

Xplantdad, thanks for the reply, nice pictures not the same car. the one they drove did not have black roof,Was unrestored,except for new paint. and was an auto and the owner was driving it.check out the mag . camaro milestones, all on the diff. 69's camaros. on those pictures you sent what about the red paint on the intake manifold, doesnt go with the restore. thanks Bob krueger
Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 AM

Are you saying there should not be overspray (orange) on the intake of a restored car? Hum...
Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 AM

Tom, liked the pictures not the articules.used none of there info. even called editor on errors, Just said they stated the same info that I have seen other places. there is an ad from yenko chev. on this site about 67 427 auto trans. camaros, 410 hp. I know you can find it faster than I can. Its from 1967. Bob krueger.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 AM

tom, I found the mystery ads from yenko chev.On the auto trans 427, hydro lifter 410HP. camaros. They on this SITE, under,( dealer specific discussion) yenko chev. there are 4 full page ads from the late 60s,advertizing, the new yenko camaro, avaiable with a auto trans, hydro lifters, and 410 HP. they were posted by tom clary on 5/4/04. in this universe. Thanks BOB KRUEGER. please reply.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">FWIW</span></span>, Volume 12, Number 9, September 1973 Popular Hot Rodding magazine.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

FWIW II...

Assembly line photo of some &quot;W&quot; engines at the assembly plant....courtesy of LIFE magazine. It shows that Chevy painted most everything including the exhaust manifolds.

From first hand accounts of people who worked in these plants...there was a &quot;mask&quot; of sorts that was haphazardly placed over the aluminum intake area on the big blocks while the engines were sprayed...so over spray did indeed get onto the intake and heater bypass hoses. After all, Chevrolet was in the business of building cars...not restoring them [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Plus, there are many documented examples of low mileage unrestored cars that still have the over spray on these areas!

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Pretty neat pic Bruce. Never saw that before.Looks like they only missed hose ends of water pump ,thermostat housing and water pump pulley flange face on these. By pass hose looks to be installed after paint too. Odd.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Bob, no mystery, I never questioned that in '67 a Yenko Camaro was available with a hydro lifter 427. I do question much of the other info you posted though.

First of all, you state in one of your posts that in '68 the 427 was factory installed, (Camaro Milestones mentioned this)), to date, no concrete eveidence has ever turned up to prove that even one such Camaro was built. Though Yenko and posibly other dealers got some COPOs in '68, they were the Yenko Sportscar (roadrace) Package, not double COPOs as in '69, which received a larger engine.

As per '69s, there is so much mis-information I am not for sure where to start, excpet to say...Please put down that magazine you are using for reference.

Does this sound familiar?

&quot;....When the cars arrived at the dealership on West Pike Street as L-34-optioned Camaros, Yenko and his small team began transformation. Out came the 396 engines, and in went a Corvette 427ci L72 V-8, rated at 435 HP...&quot; Page 22 Camaro Milestones. I could go on, but.. I think everyone gets the picture.

In closing, I realize on other sites, magazines, etc one can sound important and get folks to buy into what they are saying, but on here one best know what they are talking about before posting.

BTW, I would be very careful in how you approach offering advice on the restoration of these cars, as you think this thread has been harsh thus far, many more sharks in that end of the pool.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Guys,
Can I get a show of hands as to the following statement from my previous post, remember 1968 Yenko only not 67 or 69 Is this true???

I found this article about the #8021 and it states from the current owner &quot;For 1968 the 9737 COPO comaro was only available to Don Yenko and in fact Yenko was considered the manufacturer for these 68 Yenko Camaro's. However this #9737 COPO package was added in 1968 as per Don Yenko's request to RPO L78 SS Camaro's that were equipped with the 396/375hp big blocks.
The COPO #9737 designation added for 1968 cooling, suspension and brake upgrades along with a 140mph speedometer, heavy duty springs, larger anti roll bar, M21 tranny and a 4.10 posi rear diff. These 9737 COPO's 1968 camaro's were delivered from Chevrolet to Cannonsburg with RPO (regular production order) L78 396/375 hp engines. Yenko's mechanics then removed the L78 396 engine and installed a L72 short block. The original L78 heads and aluminum intake and carb were then installed on the L72 short block.&quot; end quote. author unknown, but pulled from the Las Vegas Clasic cars website.

Cheers: Chris H
ps: does anyone have a Yenko add from 1968