Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,598 Posts
Default Re: 1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012

----I simply cant remember how many years I have known George. He is known thruout the Corvette hobby as one of the real goodguys. One thing I know,,,Georges integrity is above question, and we will hear more about all this when the time is right.......Bill S
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 AM

any news? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/confused.gif[/img]

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have a way to go back 6 months or a year and see what the website had posted at that time?

ZL1 in 2006 </div></div>
Archive.org can sometimes be used to go back and see what was on a site previously. Database driven sites that use .aspx most likely would not be archived as that data is dynamically generated at the time of page visit.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 AM

This site is great - to imagine that so many people have such a depth of knowledge and maintain thier efforts to preserve the history and future of these super cars is beyond belief.

Now it is quite unfortunate that the current owner was not properly advised as to the true known history of this car. When you are talking large money transactions with a simple ommision greatly changing a vehicles value you can expect those that are less than honest to exploit the good nature of trusting people.

This question will once again roar it's ugly head - is this still a ZL1 or just another car with a VIN tag and drivetrain from a car that was factory built as ZL1 #9? My opinion has a great amount of flexibilty when it comes to rebodied cars. If the original body is used and even 95% of the panels are replaced but some facet of the original car are used and built around I still honor the fact that the car is what it previously was. When a completely new or different body is used and parts from the original car are assembled in an attempt to replicate the original car I no longer consider this what the original car was.

I know there are circumstances when a rebody is necessary. Unfortunately to me and many others the car is no longer what it used to be no matter how rare or desired that car may be. To me, this car would be a replica, tribute or clone. I find it very deceiving about all the endorsements being applied to this car from Ed Cuneen but I guess anyone in the know would take that for what it's now worth.

I do not have any negative opinions of the current owner and greatly respect the fact that he is doing the correct thing and sorting out this car's history.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM

CORRECTION/ADDITION to my original post on ZL1 #9

#1 My original research prior to my purchase was NOT correct on what was done to this car in restoration to correct both Drag Race modifications and rust damage. Another body shell, a rust and damage free Norwood shell was used in the restoration. Where this shell was mated to the numbered/dated cowl firewall is still something I am chasing and may have photographs soon to document this. Either way, the body is NOT what I originally was told or what I posted previously. My post was sincere and what I knew at the time. As stated previously, the car will be represented honestly when I become the &quot;seller&quot;.

#2 My history I disclosed was correct in reference to the original owner but I had not been successful in contacting him. Thru this site I have now found him, 79 yrs young. Just this week received a package with his buyers copy of Bill of Sale from Fred Gibb Chevrolet, copy of Chevrolet MSO assigned to him, first Ohio title copy in his name and an absolutely awesome 8x10 photo of the car in its first drag mod condition from the summer of 1969. It was raced as Zoo-Loo-One if anybody from the Ohio valley area remembers it.

#3 Well known and respected ZL1 authority Bill Porterfield had in his possession the original Deal Folder from Gibb Chevrolet for this car. Thru this site we connected and just today I received an unbelievable package containing the following: Original Car Shipper Dealer copy, Chevrolet Pre-Delivery Inspection form with Protect-O-Plate imprint, Auto tranport shipping invoice, Gibb Chevrolet inventory sheet showing purchaser and a 1991 letter from Fred Gibb referencing these documents. Pretty cool stuff, Thank You, Bill P.

So there you have it. My intentions were always good and I welcome any private inquiry on this car if you so wish.
Thank You,
George Lyons
Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Holy cow George. You really hit the jack pot. Congrats and thanks for the clarification. Do you play the lottery? Pls post photo of the drag racing picture or forward to me and I will post it for you. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

griffithjs.ap@mac.com

Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Sam, Tomorrow I will bring in the picture and send it to you to post. It is really a cool shot. Maybe even jog some memories. Thank You. George
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

George, I will see you in Scottsdale!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Cool history and awesome docs!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 AM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

George will now have about as much paperwork as you can get for a ZL1 and most of that was due to the ZL1 display at MCACN and when Bill Porterfield contacted me about what he had for it.

This is a car that was restored by Floyd Garrett and he will be the first to tell you he had to replace the body because the orig. was too far gone. He makes no bones about it. He says he would rather use GM pieces than some parts made in China. We all have different views on what constitutes a car and we all have opinions on what is OK to do. Some people think a car in really rough shape should be buried and done. Others like Floyd would rather do what he did and I can't say I disagree with him. Is it a orig body ZL1 ? No but at one point it was and stuff was transferred to another body. In fairness to other ZL1 owners I feel this car is a rung lower on the ZL1 ladder but still better than any ZL1 clone. Alot of ZL1's have issues as they were driven hard like they were meant to do.
I know George hated having this info come up and I hate having to deal with it but for the sake of this site it needed to be disclosed. My goal is to have this site be one that can be trusted for precisely this kind of info. Hopefully people will come here in advance before purchase of rare musclecars like this so they can avoid unpleasant surprises.