Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-27-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 1970 L-78 Camaro CKO block

Rick, Thanks for all of your help. I am planning on going to see it again this weekend and hopefully buy it. If the price is too high I will let everyone here know and see if someone else wants it.

Also, the car in the background of one of the pictures is a 70 Chevelle LS6 with original motor. I did not go through the numbers on it since I am only interested in the L-78 Camaro.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

You Have mail...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Rear picture appears to show bumper guards W/O VF-3 Rubber Strips. If this is PLAIN chrome bumper with guards, that would be wrong, UNLESS we have uncovered another detail on COPO spoilers (Phil B please respond) I also see what appear to be RARE Original Chrome tip tailpipes, which were on all SS cars.
Can anybody else SEE what appears to be a quite SHINY Black Taillight panel.....which helps to demonstrate how most people have this detail TOO flat........

Chuck S
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 PM

70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 10-28-2005, 04:35 PM

I think that a better phrase would be 'tangs' or 'fangs' as the early VF-3 seem to me to be urethane "guards".

The post above the pics kind of lost me a bit.

I the initial pics posted (granted I didn't blow them up at all) of nrjulin, I didn't see any real tell-tale signs of the early VF-3 option. The "tangs", "fangs" are there but can you really see the tell-tale signs of the 'early' VF-3 guards there? I trust you 1st and foremost Chuck but I'm not seeing it...so far from the pics.

Why would the VF-3 guards be wrong if it were after the rubber bumper guards were discontinued? I've been a 2nd gen "hound" since I was a kid but only recently has the VF-3 option caught my radar...weird.

Also..I've been thinking for the last few months about putting together a web based '70 Camaro L-78 registry (just because I have a passion for them, the server space and the time...and 600 cars can't be that much work right?

-Mark H.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:40 AM

Mark, I think the only way to get rear bumper guards was to order a Z28 (standard equipment) or order the VF3 option on any camaro. The VF3 option included the rear guards.

Chuck, are the rear bumper pics shown above your car?
John

I guess I have to change my name
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 AM

Fhakya,
rpo VF3 is the rubber strips AND the guards.
Regular guards only (rear)(with no rubber) are not VF3, and are apparently "only" a part of rpo Z-28, with no separate rpo.
So if you ordered rpo VF3 you got the guards along with the rubber strips.
If you ordered rpo Z-28 you got the guards but no strips.
If you ordered rpo Z-28 AND VF3 you got the guards and the strips.
The ONLY (apparently) other way a non Z-28 and non VF3 car could have these guards were as a dealer installed part.

A lot of people confuse VF3 with standard Z-28 guards.
standard Z-28 bumper guards are not rpo VF3.
Mark.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 AM

I blew up the original picture (much higher resolution) that I have and I can see the urethane strip. I plan on going to pick the car up next weekend since the owner is out of town this weekend. If all goes well, I'll be the proud owner of this 70 L-78.

Again, thanks to everybody's (Rick and Chuick espacially) help and input in verifying this 70 L-78 Camaro. I know thier help will be incredilbly valuable when I start the restoration.

Once I have the car in my possesion, I will be happy to share any information gathered from it.

NRJ
Old 10-30-2005, 03:42 PM

That's great news NRJ! I'm not going to jinx until you have it in your possession.

Great clarification Mark (70CitrusZ)....that was what I was kind of assuming but never had it backed up (no pun intended).

I've seen a few SS's w/ the tangs/fangs but just assumed that they were part a the later VF-3 (non Z) option or possible retrofit. I have not seen any 72,73's w/ them that I can recall and was wondering if that was still an option in those years. The strip wasn't as per my understanding...even in 71.

It's probably more of a topic for 2gcog but interesting nontheless and applicable here.

Great thread!

-Mark H.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM

Default Re: 1970 L-78 Camaro

Well it has been a while since I updated this post but the good news it I finally have the car in my possession.

It is remarkably complete. It only has 22,810 miles on it and has all the original and correctly date coded parts that one could ask for: CKO Engine with VIN, M-21 with VIN, 3:55 COX rear, L-78 Tach, dist, alt, heads, rear, exhaust manifolds, smog system, intake, water pump, intake and starter. Even the original exhaust is still there. Also, The interior looks very good other than being very dirty and a ripped drivers seat. All the sheet metal is very solid but there has been some surface rust in the usual areas that was preped and primed and original vinyl top was ripped off and primed.

To correct an earlier post, this was not a 3 piece spoiler car originally. That was added by the second owner but I was given the original one peice spoiler with the original dealer name plate still attached. It was sold out of John Smith Chevrolet in Atlanta GA.

To my surprise the POP, original sales invoice, warranty transfer paperwork and receipt to the second owner all came with the car. I will be the fourth owner. The First owner only owned the car for about 8 months, Second owner until 1988 when the last owner bought it and parked in in his garage. Also, I was given a ton of NOS parts the last owner collected in the 80's when he planned on restoring the car. I still have alot of boxes to go through but I did find the original L-78 air cleaner and a NOS L-78 air cleaner still in the original parts box.

Now for the fun of restoring the car.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me verify the info for this car.

One more thing, He still has a few more incredible cars that he is considering selling. 1970 Chevelle LS-6, 1970 Buick GS and 2 442 W-30's. He collected these in the 80's with the hope of restoring them but has not yet. He did collect alot of NOS parts to get ready for the restorations but...