Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Drag wreck, he walks away.....a miracle

Maybe, it's proof that God loves Chevrolet owners? Even the idiots!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, it's proof that God loves Chevrolet owners? Even the idiots!

[/ QUOTE ]
It was an unfortunate accident that could have turned out much worse but please help me understand while he's an idiot. He's a fellow racer out there giving it Hell on a proper Dragstrip on a Sunday afternoon instead of sitting in a lawn chair for 6 hours at car show in a church parking lot. I bet you wouldn't have approached him in the pits immediately after the accident and called him an idiot. Another example of "keyboard courage".
Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Are you kidding me?

He's an idiot because he doesn't value his life, and by that, I mean going to PepBoys and buying a set of front tires that actually fit on the front wheels. That would set one back, what, less than $100? So he's pegging a life value of LT $100. Also, if he went to the ER after that, which he certainly did, you and I paid for it, regardless if he's insured or not.

Based on that alone, he's an idiot.

I could keep going as to why he's an idiot, including serious low-speed stability issues (most likely caused by the tires), but by looking at that thing, who knows what else, and he keeps going at it.

Idiot.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

What if he had been killed, which, by being ejected, could have easily happened, you tell his widow, children, etc..."at least he was giving it Hell..."?

No one enjoys seeing the old iron on the track more then me, but there has to be a common sense approach, both by drivers and tech people, which I saw neither in this video.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Hi guys. This video has been around for quite a while. The car crashed at Baylands (Fremont), which, if my memory serves me correctly, closed in 1988 or so. If you look closely there are several mid to late eighties vehicles in the video background. There's also another video out there (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3WD0yw8ns0) that shows a walk-around of the car following the crash. It clearly shows the aftermarket seat belts (competition style) still in the car. What I think happened during the crash sequence was the seat mounts broke. It was common back then to use plastic bucket seats. They often had four threaded inserts molded into the base. You just bolted them in that way. If my memory is still clear (which might not always be the case <g&gt the rules never said much about the way they were mounted. Installing the seats with bolts or studs directly into threaded inserts was likely acceptable. Today, there are regulations laying out exactly how seats should be installed. If you look closely at the car there's a 12:30 dial in on the windshield. Even then, that wasn't a real fast car. As a result, it probably didn't get too much scrutiny during tech, particularly if the track was really busy.

The other point is this: With 55-56-57 Chevys it's not hard to get a bunch of suspension travel. And if they wheelstand, it's really tough on pieces like ball joints. They also move around a lot because of the travel. Couple that with the fact the car had one of those small diameter foam rimmed three spoke steering wheels that were so common, I suspect the car either got away from him (the driver’s name is Don Refrow) or something broke. Even though the car wasn't perhaps the best prepared in the world, I don't think he can take all of the blame. It could actually have been an accident. And Renfrow (who is obviously famous today) is a very fortunate man.

Just my two cents.

Wayne Scraba
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Sadly, I've seen much worse stuff pass tech. Go to 3 tracks and you will get 3 differant tech inspections. Most of them are not too tough to get thru, which has always surprised me. I guess the form you sign must keep the track free of any lawsuits from unsafe cars.
That being said, the driver of that car had at least 2 or 3 times that he should have lifted. It even sounds like he got back on the gas when the car was sideways and about to roll.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM

I totally agree on your points. But I was just trying to put into perspective this accident happened a long time ago, and what was acceptable then might not be today.

Take care...

Wayne Scraba
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM

After the wreck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3WD0yw8ns0
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 AM

Well, my approach has always been to never type or post something that I wouldn't say in person to another human being. The old rule that our mothers preached to us still applies........if you don't have anything nice to say about another person, then don't say anything at all. The guy was not on the steet somewhere but on a proper, safe dragstrip and nobody, including himself were seriously injured. Now, I don't know this '55's driver but he's a fellow racer and racers share a common bond. I'm always baffled and just don't understand the personal attacks and name-calling here that people can make towards another human being from the safety of their home computer and a phoney screen name that they think is witty. I'm not much of a church person, but I've always liked that particular verse of: "Let him who be without sin, cast the first stone." Enough with the name-calling already. That only says more about you.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM

Well said Mark so true of Many of the Car sites !!!!!!!!!

Jim