Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Wine Country Classic vintage pics/6/1/08

They MUST resurrect the Trans Am series, NASCAR is boring and Indy is a bunch of cry babies. Love those vintage T/A cars
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 06-04-2008, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They MUST resurrect the Trans Am series, NASCAR is boring and Indy is a bunch of cry babies. Love those vintage T/A cars

[/ QUOTE ]

It is amazing how much interest there has been in these cars during the last 5 years.Living so close to Laguna,we here have been folllowing these cars since 1970 but only until recently,have they exploded onto the scene nationally.
You have to hand it to these guys too,they have taken what was basically a "gentleman's" hobby and through the likes of Vic Edelbrock,Ken Epsman,and Mark Montanous and others and have taken it big-time with a national schedule now in place going back east to show them off.Last year being the 40th anniversary of T/A really generated a ton of interest as well.
And anyone who doesn't think these cars are pushed hard is sadly mistaken... I have been lobbying for awhile now to try to get Speed to televise the entire series because I think the interest would be off the charts.

For anyone interested,check out www.historictransam.com if you haven't already.

'69 Z/28 Yellow/Aug '07 CHP cover car
'70 Z/28 R/S Orange/Jan '08 CHP featured car
'70 Chevelle SS454 LS-5 Red/Jan '11 CHP cover car
Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks so much for the post John.

Due to some medical issues, I could not attend this years event. You posted some of my favorite cars. You even pictured my 64 silver / red FI Corvette now owned by Tom Cotter that I bought back in 1985 and restored it and raced until 1994 at Sears and Laguna.

The TRANS-AM cars are all just works of art. It is so neat to see this series of cars not only restored to perfection, but running 'hard' the way they did back in the day. Tom McIntyre and all the guys are 'real' gentlemen and every year, it amazes me how new cars show up and the history book grows with 'More of the story'

I might add that Joe Freitas has his 'MO CARTER' 69 TRANS AM CAMARO from Canada for sale. I have it listed on my website if anyone wants more info.

Thanks again for those of us that could not attend this years event. See you at Monterey Historic in August !

Jim Gessner
Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much for the post John.

Due to some medical issues, I could not attend this years event. You posted some of my favorite cars. You even pictured my 64 silver / red FI Corvette now owned by Tom Cotter that I bought back in 1985 and restored it and raced until 1994 at Sears and Laguna.

The TRANS-AM cars are all just works of art. It is so neat to see this series of cars not only restored to perfection, but running 'hard' the way they did back in the day. Tom McIntyre and all the guys are 'real' gentlemen and every year, it amazes me how new cars show up and the history book grows with 'More of the story'

I might add that Joe Freitas has his 'MO CARTER' 69 TRANS AM CAMARO from Canada for sale. I have it listed on my website if anyone wants more info.

Thanks again for those of us that could not attend this years event. See you at Monterey Historic in August !

Jim Gessner

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry you couldn't attend Jim,glad I helped bring a smile to your face.
The Mo Carter car was for sale last year when it made an appearance and I have a ton of pics of it then...I am surprised it hasn't sold because like all of these cars that run in this circuit,it's a real-deal X-coded car,and it looks remarkably stock to boot.

Do you have a link to your site...?

Every one of these owners are just the nicest guys you'd ever meet at a racetrack and Kenny Epsman and others are constantly letting kids crawl into the cockpit to take pictures.Very refreshing compared to other forms of motorsports...

Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - he uses the same parking brake as me!

These are some truly fabulous pictures.
The craftsmanship on these cars is phenomenal! I don't remember them looking this good
when they were new.

Thanks for posting these great shots!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,791 Times in 1,605 Posts

-----John,,,Just Google "vettefinderjim" and I think you will get Jims website....Always something interesting on there.........Bill S
Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - he uses the same parking brake as me!

These are some truly fabulous pictures.
The craftsmanship on these cars is phenomenal! I don't remember them looking this good
when they were new.

Thanks for posting these great shots!

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree...cars are certainly in better shape then they were "back in the day".The Smokey Yunick car is laser-straight (heck...both Edelbrock cars are for that matter!)and was better then new after the little fender-bender a few years back.If anyone has the means to do stuff right...it's got to be Vic Edelbrock.

The last 2 years,I mainly concentrated on engine compartments so if you do a search,I'm sure they're still on this board somewhere.
I'd be happy to post more older pics if you guys want to see them...

Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 AM

MC John excellent shots, great detail. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:05 PM

John ,
Great pictures as always... real bummer that they did away with the IMSA class this year at Wine Country. It was nice last year to just drive one of my cars out of my shop at Infineon and go racing . Really missed it this year but am glad they still run cool stuff like the T/A and the Can Am cars . See you at Monterey.. looks like I will be running "DESPERADO" there this year instead of the yellow 935
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
John ,
Great pictures as always... real bummer that they did away with the IMSA class this year at Wine Country. It was nice last year to just drive one of my cars out of my shop at Infineon and go racing . Really missed it this year but am glad they still run cool stuff like the T/A and the Can Am cars . See you at Monterey.. looks like I will be running "DESPERADO" there this year instead of the yellow 935

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about you Van when I was walking around the pit area...I was hoping I didn't miss you again.

See you in August,are you gonna be there for the Pre-Historics too?