Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 10-01-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Frustration... truck delivered..UPDATED PICTURES

Has anyone tried shopping for a used vehicle lately. I've walked more than a few lots and most vehicles seem well used and not cared for. I am trying to find an 03 to 07 Silverado or Sierra 4x4 for my son. Everyone says how clean their trucks are so I make the drive to check them out. All have had rust in the rockers and cab corners despite me specifically asking that question on the phone. Is it really this difficult to find a well cared for, clean honest truck? I'm not picky either. I'm open to all cab styles and box size also (except long box ext or crew cab). We are flexible on color and engine, 4.8 or 5.3.

I know we are in the rust belt but I am beyond frustrated. I'm realistic on value and accept I'll have to pay for a clean truck. Everyone wants clean retail values for their beat to death trucks. I'm even open to traveling to get a good one, only downfall is looking it over. With how many times I've been burned locally I'm hesitant to travel only to be disappointed.

Has anyone else been this route? Any tips or advice on finding his 1st vehicle? I'll also consider an Avalanche. Prefer low 100k miles

Last edited by notstock71; 10-16-2017 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Updated pictures, title
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Screenshot_20171015-212909.jpg Screenshot_20171015-212837.jpg Screenshot_20171015-212817.jpg Screenshot_20171015-212752.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Used truck

Gentry Chevrolet Dequeen Ark ask for Kenny you will not be dissapointed! Great inventory for such a small town dealership.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

tough to find that era of GM truck in the north with good rockers or good brake lines
Old 10-01-2017, 06:34 PM

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,169 Posts

I hear you. I remember about 6 years ago looking for an early 80's El Camino for our son. Found one on line that looked promising. Called the guy and specifically asked two questions::any rust? Did the Check Engine light work properly and was it on? Came across (purposely) as an individual selling his personal vehicle. It was a dealer.

Told me everything was perfect. Drove 50 miles to go see it. Didn't even drive it. Could see clear through the rocker on the driver's side. Had an Edelbrock carb without any kind of TPS, but still had the computer controlled distributor, and the Check Engine light had been removed.
Told the guy he really needed to get out of the business if he didn't know any more about cars than that.

There are lots of good pick ups for sale in that age range here in the OKC metro, and MOST (yes, there are exceptions) do not have serious rust issues. If you find something you might be interested in, and don't mind coming here to pick it up, shoot me a PM. Be glad to go look at it for you, if it isn't too far away, and at least cull the crap for you.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:23 PM

Ask for good pics. With todays phones I can send excellent pics of anything, cab corners, rockers or frame and all it takes a couple of minutes. If they wont send good pics there is a reason.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 PM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notstock71 View Post
Is it really this difficult to find a well cared for, clean honest truck?
In a word.....yes. Best of luck to you.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveforty View Post
Ask for good pics. With todays phones I can send excellent pics of anything, cab corners, rockers or frame and all it takes a couple of minutes. If they wont send good pics there is a reason.

^
This.
I just went through this with another selling some car parts.After 2 weeks,told me to take his word for it,which wasn't helping his cause.
We live in an instant photo society today.If someone won't post pictures today...run.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:31 PM

Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,975 Posts

One of our lads is into these trucks too also we're in the same rust predicament here in Ontario Canada although blessed w/ General Motors plants being nearby so an abundance of used GM product around.
Is there a reason you don't want the '08 and up trucks as some go as cheap as the earlier ones now also amazing what deals pop up if you're tuned to recognize them and act quickly.
Best look for original non-repaired body trucks someone's rust proofed w/ oil type products also consider the newest high-miler deals you can afford.
Good luck also great how you're doing this w/ your boy!

~ Pete

Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench View Post
Gentry Chevrolet Dequeen Ark ask for Kenny you will not be dissapointed! Great inventory for such a small town dealership.
I will check their inventory, thank you!

We stuck to the 03 to 07 market mainly due to prices and his budget. I have an 08 and love it but like the earlier generation these rust really bad in the box sides around here..
Old 10-01-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
There are lots of good pick ups for sale in that age range here in the OKC metro, and MOST (yes, there are exceptions) do not have serious rust issues. If you find something you might be interested in, and don't mind coming here to pick it up, shoot me a PM. Be glad to go look at it for you, if it isn't too far away, and at least cull the crap for you.
Thank you for the offer. I am completely open to catching a flight, within a days drive back to Omaha, for a good truck. Ive been all over Craigslist in that area. I appreciate the offer!!