Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-30-2015, 09:58 PM

Default Re: 69 Camaro BB blacked out panel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camarojoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta admit, based on that photo I'd have to say I'm becoming a believer that they were not always painted full gloss black. Mainly because if they were full gloss why would they even bother painting them at all on Tuxedo Black cars? Definitely 2 different levels of gloss there if that car is guaranteed all original paint. </div></div>
My understanding was that black was one of the exceptions to the tail panel black out? If it is definitely original, that's pretty interesting to say the least.

From CRG:
&quot;Black-out Paint Applications
Certain first-generation Camaro models had semi-gloss black-out paint applied to the body to influence the appearance. There were two types: a &quot;ground-effect&quot; black-out applied to the rocker-panel/body-sill area for certain exterior trim options and a blacked-out tailpan applied to SS-396 cars.

Body sill black-out paint was applied to Z22 (RS) cars in 1967 and 1968 and to Z21 (style trim) and Z22 (RS) in 1969. But there were several body colors that were simply just too dark for this paint scheme to be effective and for these colors, the body sill black-out paint was omitted. Additionally, the body sill black-out was omitted for the 1969 Z11 Indy Pace Car convertible trim package and the 1969 Z10 coupe trim package. A Chevrolet Product Bulletin dated 2-4-69 describes the Z11 (Pace Car trim package) package and includes this instruction: &quot;Body sill to be painted white instead of black.&quot; Although no instructions have been found for the Z10 coupe, the intent would have been the same.

There was also a paint color exception for the SS-396 tailpan black-out, but it was limited to black vehicles and the Z11 and Z10. Black SS-396 cars would not have received the (semi-gloss) blacked-out tailpans. But it should be noted that a few original paint black SS-396's have been observed with blacked-out tailpanels - the paint difference is only visible at the paint tape line.&quot;

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 PM

My guess is that it's not really all original paint.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,602 Posts

----It was an awesome car, Joe! I did a bit of basic clean-up on it in the garage-mahal when it hit Texas and was amazed at its condition. One of the most untouched, low mileage Camaros I have ever seen.......Bill S

----I'm now seeing a few posts in between mine and the post on the red L78. Just to be clear,,, my comments were for the red L78
Old 12-31-2015, 12:07 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olredalert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">----It was an awesome car, Joe! I did a bit of basic clean-up on it in the garage-mahal when it hit Texas and was amazed at its condition. One of the most untouched, low mileage Camaros I have ever seen.......Bill S

----I'm now seeing a few posts in between mine and the post on the red L78. Just to be clear,,, my comments were for the red L78 </div></div>
Even in pictures you can tell what a beauty it is.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 12-31-2015, 01:37 AM

Joe if you are talking about the garnet red L78, you guessed wrong, it was all org paint
Old 12-31-2015, 02:29 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69L78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe if you are talking about the garnet red L78, you guessed wrong, it was all org paint </div></div>
Not talking about the red car... That one was the one I said was awesome. One of those cars that prove to me that the 69 Camaro is the coolest looking Chevy ever made. The flat black tail panel on the tuxedo black car is the one I was guessing could have been done after the fact. I've never seen that car so I guess I should just keep my yap shut. Carry on...
Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m22mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me a good survivor with satin tail panel. I am basing my opinion on looking at survivors. I believe memories can get clouded. </div></div>

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2458.165

From the CRG post #165, 5K mile car. I think Lillard has been rubbing his panel to much [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

</div></div>
That almost looks like it is has a different pigment to it versus being satin or flat. It still has a gloss to it that is much glossier than what people are spraying as semi gloss.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Several years ago, Mike Gale had his original paint Black/red stripe 69 Camaro RS Baldwin Motion at MCACN. I failed to get pictures of his rear panel. You could clearly see a tape line with the trunk open, and the paint looked differant. Maybe someone else got some shots of his car ?
Another thing to consider, besides what Phil pointed out about the variations in temperature at the time of this blackout, is the number of times a car was washed, even the continued cleaning with a wet towel over time may add to the gloss level.

NEXT [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,188 Times in 1,341 Posts

Mike there's another black car that also has the same contrasting black applied to the tail panel( Bob's car a member on this site). It is my belief that blacked out tail panels &amp; rockers were 70-80% gloss(a different formula from black exterior paint used). As many have pointed out, there are variables that may have contributed to the degree of gloss, such as temperature and polishing over the years. I've owned and inspected many car with blacked out tail panels and rockers and that is my conclusion.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,188 Times in 1,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
Show me a good survivor with satin tail panel. I am basing my opinion on looking at survivors. I believe memories can get clouded.
OK, here's one, call it what you will, but certainly not gloss!
Attached Images

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com

Last edited by Steve Shauger; 04-17-2018 at 11:28 PM.