Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,169 Posts

RadonSeal. Not worried about Radon; but like how deep it penetrates.
Crush (03-04-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 03:04 PM

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,381 Posts

Interesting web site. I may be ordering some of their concrete cleaner when it warms up. I can buy the sealer at the local Home Depot, but they don't sell the cleaner in stores, which seems odd.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 03-28-2023, 02:37 AM

Don't waste your money on the concrete cleaner. Didn't work well for me.

This project is just kicking my arse.

I was reading the label on the RadonSeal Standard. Said if the concrete had been power trowled, I would need to etch it first. So, bought four gallons of the power etch. Started on that Saturday, but four gallons only did half my workshop area (about 1350 feet). The etch did work well, and the surface was noticeably rougher, ready to receive the sealer. The sealer is a siliconate penetrating sealer.

Followed the directions with Sherri's help. Only thing I didn't do as directed was to "rinse". I wasn't sure if rinse it off meant a hose, but I wet mopped it off. What was left is a chalk looking residue. It is very hard. I went over it with a power floor scrubber using a white 20 inch scotch pad laced with diamond bits. The one pic where it looks like I am finally cutting through the white topping is a result of 10 - 12 passes. At this rate it will take me a good 40 hours to get this stuff off. I guess eventually, I will end up with nice shiny floors. I wrote to customer support this evening to see if they have any solutions for taking this stuff off. It is very hard. I suspect I did not "rinse" it thoroughly enough, leaving this residue.

Even then, the floor scrubber doesn't go right up to the edge of the floor; so that will have to be done by hand somehow. I have a Bosch concrete grinder, and am looking for an adapter so that I can mount a scotch pad. Anyone aware of such an adapter for a Bosch CSG15, five inch concrete grinder?

Last edited by Lynn; 03-28-2023 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:42 AM

Grinder currently has a diamond cup wheel on it. Way to aggressive for this task.

Pics of the floor.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2023, 01:54 PM

Sorry to see this isn't turning out as you planned/wanted.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 03-28-2023, 05:39 PM

I am sure I will get through it. They think that it interacted with the etcher because I did not hose it off. I just mopped it off twice and didn't put anything on it to neutralize it.

Has to be mechanically cleaned off. Haven't had time to look for a scotch pad adapter for my concrete grinder.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:02 PM

I know you will, Lynn. It's just another laborious, time consuming learning experience.
aka major PITA.....
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 03-28-2023, 11:29 PM

The company says this is cosmetic only, and that I can go right over it with either epoxy or a polyurea product. That may be easier than trying to remove it. And, IF I want such a floor, now is the time.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The company says this is cosmetic only, and that I can go right over it with either epoxy or a polyurea product. That may be easier than trying to remove it. And, IF I want such a floor, now is the time.

That is what I was going to recommend. An epoxy sealer and you are done

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:01 PM

Still making progress on the shop, and even working on cars quite a bit. The floor situation is what it is. I have a couple of floor cleaners that I fitted with aggressive scotchbrite pads and every time I go over it, it gets a little smoother. Should eventually be a polished finish.

I wasn't planning on purchasing a wheel balancer or tire mounting machine, but this pair came up for sale on the Public Surplus Auction site (along with some other useful things) in one lot, and I couldn't pass up the deal. Made in U.S.A.

Have not used the tire mounting machine yet, as it needs to be anchored to the floor, and I am still undecided as far as where to put it. Pretty sure it is going to go right about where I have it in this picture. I have tested all the functions, and everything works. No bad solenoids, no air leaks. The top arm is disassembled in this pic, but it only takes a couple of minutes to re-install. Kind of top heavy with it on there, so I am waiting until I get it anchored to re-install.

As for the wheel balancer; boy am I glad I got this thing. With 16 cars, seem I am always purchasing tires on line, then dragging them to the local repair shop for mount and balance. I have NEVER felt like they were getting balanced quite right. It doesn't matter how good the equipment is if the operator is a dim wit. My son just had new Michelins put on his Suburban, but was complaining of vibration on the highway. I balanced all four, and could not believe how out of balance some were. Same thing on my Yukon XL. Same thing on my old Biimmer. The BMW especially, as it has alloy wheels that will not accept hammer on wheel weights. I learned back in the 80s how to "fool" the computer balancers (used an old Hunter back then) and do a true two plane dynamic balance on such wheels. This new balancer has settings so that you don't have to fool it. The difference on my Bimmer was amazing, especially at 100 mph. Smooth as glass.

It is really nice NOT to be at the mercy of incompetent repair folks.
Attached Images

dustinm (12-12-2023), dykstra (12-13-2023), L78_Nova (12-12-2023), olredalert (12-12-2023), scuncio (12-12-2023), Xplantdad (12-12-2023)