Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Events > Other Events

Old 11-24-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Supercar showcase at Fall Vettefest

I am just dumbfounded by this. I can't beleive it but we just recieved the advertizing flyer for the Vettefest event on Sat. the 20th! I wonder how they expect to draw people to the show if they are so late in sending out their advertizing? I know it is a long way to Okla but that is rediclous?

Pantera
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 11-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Nice to see the "sign" got out for people to enjoy, Rick. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few offers. Now, I wonder if I'll be able to afford to bring it back home when the new shop is done......

Verne
Old 11-24-2004, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rumor has it Frank is planning to "roll" into SCR8 sporting his new shoulder length curly wig, Southwest style full length coat, gold rolex, and a full array of silver jewelry he picked up at Vettefest. I just hope his custom made 22's for the deuce show up in time for the show. As he told me, Pimpin' aint easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 05:25 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I am just dumbfounded by this. I can't beleive it but we just recieved the advertizing flyer for the Vettefest event on Sat. the 20th! I wonder how they expect to draw people to the show if they are so late in sending out their advertizing? I know it is a long way to Okla but that is rediclous?

Pantera

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like "Mid America Promotions" really dropped the ball on this one...I work in corporate promotions for a major motorsports group here in Arizona and I would be fired for trying to pull off what they did.

Number one, if you're going to have a car show, you then approach vendors who have something to offer that deals with cars...I.E. vendors who sell waxes, chamois, local area custom painters with examples of their work, pinstripers, detailers, and the list goes on and on...

Secondly, the name of the game is marketing what you're trying to "sell". That means print, radio, direct mail,and TV spots at a minimum(one to two months out). Plus hitting all the local car clubs, hang outs, cruises and other car shows with flyers a MINIMUM of 3 months out. There's a lot of leg work involved.

[ QUOTE ]
That the F was the deal with the wig shop at a car show?????????? There was also a stand where they were selling $10.00 fake Rolex watches, a Beanie Babie stand, a Southwest Style Coat stand, a silver jewelery stand, a flag pole and house ladder stand, not to mention the usual cheap $5.00 tool, plaster figureines, and 10 different stands selling 1/18 scale die cast cars!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a trade show or a muscle car show???

I could soap box about this pathetic debacle for an hour so I will quit while I am ahead. I fear the future of car shows......

--------------------
Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine the rationale behind having a wig vendor at a car show, nor a beanie baby vendor, etc.

If the people who had the ladders and flagpoles(telescoping) were an older couple, who had a big bowl of candy in their booth...they're an awfully nice couple...Though they should be marketing their wares at home improvement shows!

I think that Mid America should have second thoughts about having "out of place" vendors next year.

Here in Phoenix, the Motor Trend Auto show is this weekend, and our company is exhibiting ten Harleys there!

See attachment for where I was a few weeks ago in Tempe! Boy, do I have some GREAT photos of the local "wildlife" from that show..but this is an automotive site, not a motorcycle site...right Belair?

Bruce

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yes, to us car guys and gals, if it is not car related, it does not belong. But, in the big picture, I would have to say yes, it does belong. Why you ask? 1. to pay the bills. With 1000s of shows being held each year, promoters are always looking for new ways to attract cars and spectators. 2. this year VF had a special Womens Showcase, for women car owners only, thus booths taylored for them. 3. to offer something for the spectators attending who are not into buying car stuff. For example my wife, who watched the flag pole/ladder demo and was quite impressed and who also bought several items from the women only, non-car related booths. And by the way, this is a good thing, as any one who is married and shows cars knows, keeping the Mrs. happy is a must. 4. once you start eliminating what you do not like, where does it end? No lead sleds, or pro-touring, or anything non-original? One of the ideas being kicked around is a show case for young car owners, which no doubt will attract booths taylored towards the younger crowd. Kind of leaves me out, but IMO, a good idea never the less.

As far as media advertising, even though some of the flyers arrived too late, I feel VF does do a good job of promoting the event, before and after. This includes TV, newspaper, flyers, brochures, etc. With the cost of advertsing what it is today and the wide range of publications read by the various car enthusiasts, promoting is a very risky, and expensive business.

All in all, VF is not perfect by no means, but I do feel is doing the best they can with what they have to work with. I had a great time (and the wife as well) and am looking forward to next year.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:02 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

One of the ideas being kicked around is a show case for young car owners, which no doubt will attract booths taylored towards the younger crowd. Kind of leaves me out, but IMO, a good idea never the less.

I for one,support this Idea 100%.
I look forward to seeing Caleb Arone bring his Car to Completion soon,& possibly participating in this.A class act all the way.
Thank You Caleb!

Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

On the vendor issue Tom is right. Those of you who may think that Vettefest "dropped the ball" should go the the "ultimate automotive lifestyle event" the Barriett-Jackson collector car auction-any place it is held.

Scottsdale for example is clearly the big event with Lots and Lots of non car stuff for sale. The only differance is that the junk for sale costs really big dollars.

Vettefest is clearly the best all chevy event held indoors in the world, and the participation of the SYC has made it even better.

Phil
Old 11-25-2004, 11:17 PM

I was unable to get to this years event and enjoyed the photo's. The thread raised the question of the non car related vendors at the show. This seem's to be a growing trend at most events I attend. In the case of Vettefest I'm confident it is pure econonics. Chicago has long been the most expensive venue on the trade show circuit and Vettefest is probably no different. Space rented equals revenue and Mid-America is a business.

I know that Mid-America is trying to sell the 5 events they promote locally. So there maybe money concern's already.They have contacted Joe Beele the promoter of the "Skip's" shows to see if he had interest. The company that promotes the Jefferson swap meet is also being shopped for sale due to health issue's of the owner. I hear for a million or so it could be yours. The cost of the insurance alone could choke a company to bankrupcy, let alone all the other related costs. If the non-car related vendors help offset the cost and allow these events to continue we better get used to seeing these type of booths.
Happy Thanksgiving to all...
Old 11-26-2004, 06:59 PM

As always Vettefest was a great time. The SYC display was exceptional from Steve's 57 Chevy to the restored supercars and Rick's memorbilia display.
I didnt even get to see the whole show there always seemed to be someone else to talk to. This was the first time I was able to see Calebs work it was awesome.
At the beginning VF used to be known for its great swap meet its a shame every year its less of a swap meet and more of a car show. I am sure the swap meet brought a lot of revenue to the show for a 10x10 spot even 15 years ago it was 90.00 and you really needed 2 of them. So I guess the revenue has to be made up somewhere. We could all thank Ebay for the diminishing swap meets.
It was fun having Bill Wildt from Motorsport Unlimited tape a show on our group. If anyone would like a tape of the show let me know.
69 L78 Nova
69 L34 Nova
67 SS Chevelle
73 Trans Am
Old 11-26-2004, 10:07 PM

Had a very good time at vettfest and it was nice seeing the gang again. Johns right,ebay has killed swap meets alltogether as there is no more fun in going to them because it seems to be all the same stuff. Looking forward to barrett jackson in january.